Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hell's Half Acre

Excerpt taken from:

CHAPTERS FROM THE UNWRITTEN HISTORY OF THE WAR BETWEEN THE STATES; THE INCIDENTS IN THE LIFE OF A CONFEDERATE SOLDIER IN CAMP, ON THE MARCH, IN THE GREAT BATTLES, AND IN PRISON.

LIEUT. R. M. COLLINS,
    Co. B, 15TH Texas Regiment, Granbury's Brigade, Cleburne's Division, Army Of Tennessee.
    ST. LOUIS: NIXON-JONES FEINTING CO. 1893.

CHAPTER XX.
    SIX WEEKS IN FRONT OF CHATTANOOGA — HEAVY PICKET DUTY— HELL'S HALF ACRE—BIG GAME OF DRAW POKER — SIGNAL- SERVICE.

"As already intimated, after two or three days waltzing around in the valley, our line settled down, extending from the river above the city, of Chattanooga, from a point quite northeast of the city around south at the base of Missionary Ridge to a point quite northwest of the city, taking the high point of Lookout mountain commanding the river and railroads above and below the city, and the only route remaining over which the Federal army could get supplies was by wagons on dirt roads over Waldon's Ridge. Being in the immediate presence of the enemy, we beat the Confederacy out of about six weeks' drilling. We put in a part of September, October and a part of November in guard duty. The writer's brigade was near the center of the line. Guard duty was pretty trying; our line of pickets was about two hundred yards from the Federal line; we could see their pickets plainly, and when no big officer on either side was near, we would sometimes get up a temporary armistice, lay down our arms and meet on half way grounds and have a nice friendly chat, swapping our flat tobacco for Lincoln coffee, our little 8x10 newspaper, " The Chattanooga Rebel," for their big blanket-sheet dailies, such as the New York Herald, Tribune, Cincinnati Times and Louisville Journal. Sometimes we would strike Federals on duty who would have none of us; these were generally Pennsylvania troops. We could always get along with Ohio and other western troops, but those first named and all other eastern troops always seemed to have a big red mad on.

Our bill of fare was pretty tough; corn-bread and poor beef was about all we had as a rule, and when the rule was suspended, it was generally by a day's rations of bacon. The writer's mess consisted of Capt. J. A. Farmwalt of Hood County, Texas, and Lieut. Jerry Johnson of Johnston County; Lieut. John Willingham belonged to it but he was generally at regimental headquarters acting as adjutant; we kept a cook hired, by the name of Ad Huffstuttler, at $30.00 per month in Confederate money; guess he was a Dutchman by his name, anyway he could forage and cook like one; he would prowl around the butcher pen, get beef heads, feet, liver, brains, sweet-breads, marrow, gut and other parts that we had always seen thrown away and make up messes nice enough for a king. He also done our washing and mending. When the day for the draw of old Ned came around as the boys called it, Capt. Farmwalt would be our head cook; he would fry the grease out of the bacon, and with our corn-bread, water and the grease, make a dish he called " cush;" this with some of the cornbread burned to a black crisp, out of which we made coffee, was fine living; however, we " reckon " the hard exercises each day and the total absence of anything like dyspepsia or indigestion was what made it all go down so well.

It doubtless seems to the reader that the same routine of duty each day and night would get to be distressingly monotonous, but not so, there was something to be done every day, or some news going the rounds, and when not on guard duty, nor on the fatigue party list, nor putting some finishing touch in making our quarters more comfortable, and not writing letters home, or to two or three Georgia girls at the same time, we could go down to Hell's half acre. Now this was a place in front of and near the center of our main line, and just in rear of our picket line, it being some three quarters of a mile in front of our line of battle. Here the thugs, thumpers and gamblers from our army as well as from Atlanta and other cities collected to gamble, and you could get a square np and up whack at any kind of game from faro, monte, draw-poker, seven-up, down to thimble ring poker-dice and three card monte. We don't know where the boys got the money, but they had stacks of gold, silver, greenbacks and Con-federate. The place should have been called Hell's whole acre, for they had about that much ground worn as slick as glass, and more gambling going on than we have ever seen at one time since ; and more hard looking characters,—the Five Points of New York City could not beat it even in its palmiest days. While here President Davis paid us a visit. His presence did not create any perceptible enthusiasm in the army; the thoughtful men could plainly see that the grand army of Tennessee under Gen. Braxton Bragg had lost its grip..."

BIG FUN IS COMING! Are you?
    Matt Woodburn
    Retired Big Bug
    WIG/GHTI
    Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
    "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Re: Hell's Half Acre

Originally posted by Matt Woodburn View Post
    BIG FUN IS COMING! Are you?
    Heck Yeah!! And I won't have a big red mad on :) Great read Thanks Matt!
    [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
    ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Was there any Boxing taking place there? Hmmm CS officers Vs US Officers? Scrappy Cracker Alabama Men v. Hard weathered mid-westerner border ruffians...
      [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
      [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

What a sight to see!

If not bare knucks, I have seen mention of "boxing mits" in period catalogs.
        David Norton

Comment

We had a pugalistic match at the last Winter 64 which was a stunning, no fakery, two guys beating the crap out of each other smack down. If you want a bare knuckle pugalistic match at BTB, my partner and I will gladly make arrangements for it to be held and open to all comers. We did an arm wrestling match at Shiloh one year which was quite impressive too. Happy to oblige organization in that regard as well.
          Matt Woodburn
          Retired Big Bug
          WIG/GHTI

Comment

It would make for some good betting and entertaining as well :) !

[SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
            ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

RUMBLE IN THE JUNGLE!

2 Men Enter, 1 man leaves!

Who Will dare set foot into the HELL'S HALF ACRE!
              Last edited by ; 09-01-2010, 03:57 PM. Reason: Names removed to prevent more inner hobby turmoil.

Comment

I would send along a note of caution to all who enter such contests, as I was one of the um...fighters to enter the ring in the contest Mr. Woodburn speaks of at W64.

As Mr. Woodburn said, we really fought. I broke my nose in the fight and the other boxer had four ribs cracked. The two of us are also best friends and both come from a contact sports background (a collective 15+ years playing rugby). But what many do not know, we actually did some training for the fight, because we didn't want to really hurt each other.

Other than that, have at it!
                Cheers,
                Joseph Caridi
                Washington's Guard/Potomac Legion

Comment

"We did an arm wrestling match at Shiloh one year which was quite impressive too. Happy to oblige organization in that regard as well. "

The tourney was at epic levels. This needs to happen. Who will step up??? Woodburn & Associates know how to take care of business. You can't go wrong with these fine gents!
                  Herb Coats
                  Armory Guards &
                  WIG

Comment

I'm out of the match. busted and bruised ribs. not so great for wrestling. But I'll be there either way
                    Robert Melville

We as Americans finish what we start. And dying for these Colors, or our brothers around us is no different. We will always remember the ones that have passed before us. Even though their bodies are committed to the depths their spirits live with in us and helps push for tomorrow

Comment

Robert,

Fear not good man. Woodburn & Runyon Enterprises will see that all have an opportunity for excitement, entertainment, enjoyment and a whole host of other 'ments! Please join us for a spell at Woodburn & Runyon Enterprises' Betting Emporium and Old Fool Whiskey Show. It will be a delight to everyone, convalecent or not.
                      Matt Woodburn
                      Retired Big Bug
                      WIG/GHTI

Comment

Now the OFW show should be up my ally.
                        Robert Melville

We as Americans finish what we start. And dying for these Colors, or our brothers around us is no different. We will always remember the ones that have passed before us. Even though their bodies are committed to the depths their spirits live with in us and helps push for tomorrow

Comment

I just wanted to say, I had a great time at the event. It was a slice of life I hadn't experienced before. Plus it was good to see all the pards again.
                          [B]Derrick Pugh

Western Independent Grays
                          S.C.A.R.[/B]

"Yaller-hammer, Alabama, flicker, flicker, flicker,"
                          I felt sorry for the yellow-hammer Alabamians,
                          they looked so hacked, and answered back
                          never a word." ~Sam Watkins

Comment

Working...
                          X