Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanks to everyone that made it to the event or helped out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thanks to everyone that made it to the event or helped out.

Thanks to those who put this event together--you delivered what you said the event would be. Hats off to also to Mr. Owens' and Mr. Roberts' companies for the incessant work at the front Friday night. One other word in agreement with what Mr. Hicks said as the battalion formed for the final march Sunday: the young men of Company E were remarkable in their hard work, impressions, and commitment to what they were doing. Jordan Roberts & Chad Wrinn made a fine pair of officers. This arrangement needs to be repeated.
    Brian Chastain
    Breckinridge Greys
    Independent Rifles
    WIG

breckinridgegreys.org

Comment

I too would like to thank all those that made the event possible. I had a great time as part of Co. E, 45th AL. I met some new friends, and got to catch up with old ones. Jordan Roberts and Chad Wrinn did an excellent job as our company officers, and Sgts. Rick Jones and Lewis Robinson also did a top notch job. We were able to experience aspects of soldier life that is not usually represented at events. The trading between the lines was very interesting, as was the rotation from our fixed camp (which looked spectacular) to the front throughout the weekend. The only thing that could have improved this event is to have been able to stay for a few more days. I can't wait for the next one.
      Shawn Sturgill
      Governor Guards
      SCAR

Comment

As it has been stated, this was a great, unique event. My role as the “Parlor Gentleman” for the Soiled Doves was different than any impression or duty I have had in the past.

The idea was out there but only until similar thinking minds collided did it turn into a scenario- that happened between Marissa Glade, Linda Nyland, James Wooten and Jordan Roberts. Those fellas espoused the accounts of prostitutes visiting the lines and gave the ladies assurance this impression was valid and welcome at the event. Then demonstrating some savvy on dealing with women, got out of the way of female creativity.

The impression presented in Hell’s Half Acre was the result of a collaborative effort by all the Doves- Linda Nyland, Marissa Glade, Lora Woodard, and their Madame, who could not make it due to a family emergency, Cris Giddons. Important to them was a role that was believable, unobtrusive, and fun. Based upon their last interaction with the federals, (they were the civilians at the cabin on Sorchey’s Route at Bummers), they were quite nervous as they walked into Hell’s Half Acre, not knowing what to expect. As it turned out, it was a rewarding experience- from the research they conducted on prostitutes of the mid 19th century to the kind treatment they received by the soldiers/fellow reenactors. One of their best compliments was a soldier acknowledging their courage for attempting the impression.

Additional support for this impression was Marvin “so long as there is a horse to ride I am your loyal servant” Greer for setting up an electronic format for research and collaboration, as well as providing some material goods at the event, and the Parlor Gentleman, Mr. Obediah “Obie Joyful” Moore for keeping the development ideas on track with what would be feasible and believable within the guidelines of the Outpost style event.

Thanks to Herb Coats and Tripp Corbin for the logistics and final “thumbs up” when given an opportunity to gracefully call off the impression, Jim Butler and SCAR for a charitable donation to help with some of the parting gifts for the soldiers who went behind the curtain, and in general the Armory Guard, because they are so great to work with.

And, last but not least, thanks to the soldiers who came to call upon the Doves. You all were brave, especially the first ones, and, ironically, conducted yourselves as gentlemen.

Regards,
        Patrick “Obie Joyful Moore” Peterson
        Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
        Old wore out Bugler

Comment

I to had a fun time time (but then again, any time I get to ride my horse is a fun time!) The men of the 3rd Georgia enjoyed doing some trading with the Federals. Though I will say this to the group of Federals who traded with my Sergant, ya'll better have enjoyed that tobacco, he traded all my rations also!!!!
          Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

Us New York boys enjoyed the event, want to thank all the organizers for all their hard work, enjoyed serving under Lieutenant Mason ,he did a great job as company commander along with all the rest of our company. Really enjoyed our time between the lines trading with the Rebs, the gambling. ladies and bath in the river. Another memorable experience. thanks to all.
            Bob Hutton:)

14th NC "Wild Cats"

Comment

Bob, it was a pleasure seeing you out in the field once again. You, like the dozens of quiet, dedicated professionals that fill out the ranks are the real strength of the movement. Thanks for coming down.

On the federal side we had Corn Meal, but no one saved the bacon grease to make hoe-cakes. I'd have given anything on Saturday for one more of your culinary wonders.
              Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

From what the participants have told me the event was as advertised and as an event organizer this is all I need to hear. I would like to thank my fellow WIG staffers Tripp Corbin and Ken Cornett for their help in this event. Phone calls, setting the scenarios, and just being there in the thick of things.

Next up a thanks to my distinguished opposition in the Blue suit. Jimbo, Pete, Sean Cooper, and the other Wildcats that helped out with Federal logistics, rations, and extras. Without our “dancing” partners the event would have been boring.

Many thanks go out to Lewis Robinson for securing the land, and Jordan Roberts, Skip Owens, Sam Harrelson, and the Trippster for getting onsite Thursday and helping our with various chores. Thanks go out to Lewis, Dylan Woodliff, Robert Saye, Tripp, and Ricky Bobby Jones for staying after to help clean up.

John Culp and Todd Miller get high praise for helping with registration. Thankless job? You bet, but they did it with good cheer and no complaints!

To my few civilian participants... Thank you for putting a lot of research and effort into your different roles. They were invited by me and I gave them a suggestion and they ran with it. If anyone is unwise enough to file a complaint regarding the civilians, just send it my way. We'll talk....

Finally my biggest thanks is to the men who registered, put time, effort, and money into their impressions for this event and showed up. You being there makes the event happen. The would have been nothing if you did not drive in on Friday.

These are some of the things that happened over the weekend:

Digging rifle pits in the middle of the night, sitting at a picket post trying to stay awake. Sleeping on arms, being on ˝ rations (both sides), getting re supplied via General Bragg's rickety quartermaster, letters and packages from home, trading with the the opposition, getting to visit the traveling merchant, games of chance with “card sharks”, being hot, being tired, getting rained on a little, going for a swim in the river when it got too hot, company commissary giving men much needed food coming off the line, an impromptu truce over the picket line, a joint dinner of Johnny and Billy officers with what little food they had rolled in with some great first person “moments.”

Oh and on a personal note the Johnny campsite was the most authentic field camp I have EVER seen at a picket event. Thanks to the men of Company D (SG, IV) and then men of Company E (Boy Wonder's Bastard Children) for doing this. They all volunteered to arrive early and get to the line to set this up, then set up a night picket detail on Friday. Thank you men.

Thanks to the men of Companies A, B, D, and E for recruiting and filling the ranks on the Johnny side.

As always constructive criticism is needed and welcome. As an event organizer I cannot do better unless I know there is a problem. Feel free to send a PM or email to me. I'll share it with Tripp and Matt so that the WIG guys can make an even better event next go round.

When I can learn to control the weather, I'll accept weather related complains!
                Herb Coats
                Armory Guards &
                WIG

Comment

Working...
                X