Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tale of Three Livers

A Tale of Three Livers

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

That's enough of that, my apologies to Charles Dickens.

I was pleased with the interaction that grew up around the 'Cow Entrails' Vignette. There were several individuals involved on both sides and I thought it would be fun to bring the stories together in one place.

I found the historical documentation and asked who could get these items easily. Sean Cooper was able to get the livers from a local farmer and he brought them frozen, vacuum packed in plastic. On site we gently thawed the livers and I transferred them from the plastic to brown paper which did rapidly become a bloody mess. I initially handed out two livers. One went to Tyler Scott, a second to a Federal Soldier whose name is lost to my memory now. Later in the day, I gave a third liver to Pete Paolillo who turned it into a stew.

I only have vague references to the Rebels who bartered, recieved or ate these livers. Anyone with recollections from someone who handled, recieved, bought, sold or ate these livers, please post them...
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Re: A Tale of Three Livers

I can't speak for the livers, but the three members of the Shocker Mess of Co. D, 45th Alabama had a hankering for fresh Yankee beef and set about to barter for some as soon as we left our lines. After inquiring around, we came upon a young man in blue with a brown paper package. He proclaimed the contents to be a fine beefsteak. Upon cursory inspection of the blood stains on the paper, it did indeed appear to reveal the contents to be just that and we happily traded a few of our very best cigars. Only when we returned to our camp did we discover that our “fine beefsteak” was to our great surprise and disappointment - a tongue.
    Jeffrey Baldwin
    [email]fast71fan@hotmail.com[/email]
    Hedgesville Blues
    [I]Shocker Mess[/I]

Comment

Company D also recieved one of the Beef Livers to which was fried and added to one of the stews we made on sat night. I am not a "Liver" guy, but the taste of burnt beef smelled and tasted great.

Thanks,
      Skip
      [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
      [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

I was one of the fortunate (or unfortunate depending on your feelings on the matter) ones to get a liver for consumption or trade. As I was planning on heading to the rebel lines to trade, some comrades entrusted me with other items to trade in hopes of getting a nice haul for the lot. So around 4:30, I headed out of camp with coffee, rice, bacon, hardtack, whiskey, beef tongue, and a liver with an onion. Although I do not like liver, I had heard that there are people who do and I was hoping to find them.

I first tried a few of the Kansans on the picket line; none of whom seemed interested in the slightest. I then tried the civilians and ladies of ill repute who likewise were not interested. On the way to the rebel lines I succeeded in trading half my bacon for a handful of brown sugar. (Alas, the sugar soon became infested with ants.) After my salesmanship failed several more times, I met three young rebels who were interested in canned goods. Although I had none, I did trade the beef tongue for a very good apple and some good conversation. For a brief moment, I thought my next attempt at trading the liver and onion would be successful. A rebel officer seemed very interested and looked to be ready to negotiate terms when a fellow officer (who I assume was his messmate) quickly overruled in disgust when discovering the contents of my brown paper package.

Finally I met Mr. Runyon and Mr. Woodburn who gave me a bag of pecans and peanuts for the liver and onion. They only seemed interested in the onion but when I told them they went together, they took both. Perhaps they only feigned disinterest in the liver to get a low price. But since my comrades and I were not going to eat it, I decided that it was better to get something than nothing for it.

Unfortunately for my business venture, the hours of trading preceding my excursion meant that the rebels were now well supplied with our goods so none was interested in my coffee, hardtack, or rice. Although many were interested in the whiskey, none could afford it's fitting high price.
        Tyler D. Scott

Comment

You all should have kept the liver. Compliments to the fellow from Company D, 45th Alabama who cooked one of them. It was very good. The tongue--not so much. It was a bit disheartening to flip over the "steak" and see tastebuds. Somebody made out like a bandit with my cigar.

-Craig Schneider
          Craig Schneider

Comment

Originally posted by CSchneider View Post
            You all should have kept the liver.
            I could not agree more Mr. Schneider.
            When the Sgt. Major handed me the brown package of fresh Beef liver, my eyes lit up like a child on a snowy Christmas morning, despite the fact that the temperatures were in the high 90's :) I was able to salvage an onion that one fella was roasting in the fire, a couple of hunks of bacon fat that someone carelessly through in the sinks (and there was nothing on it that some fresh river water could not rinse off) :tongue_sm , some Irish potatoes and a few pinches of salt that I was able to aquire through nefarious means.
            I borrowed the mess kettle from the officers quarters and cut up all of the delicacies covered with water and boiled over the fire. I cooked the meal into a hearty beef stew and offered it up to all of the members in the camp. A few took part and enjoyed it. Some of the 8th Kansas boys turned up their noses despite living off of some scraps of bacon, hardtack and coffee for some time. I then ran the rest down to the guard posts and relief area where the hungry men were eager to receive this delicious meal. I was able to dole every bit of the stew out and it was loved by all who ate it. When I got back to camp with the kettle, there was just enough to fill my boiler and sat down and enjoyed the provisions the good Lord had provided me. It is nice to have fresh meat of any part. I would have liked some tongue as well. Maybe next time.;)
            Last edited by PetePaolillo; 09-14-2010, 09:44 PM.
            [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
            ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Due to the urgings of our 1st Sgt Martin, the boys of Co. D, 8th Kansas (the "easterners") put together a fine stew on Saturday night, the primary ingredients of which were a cubed beefheart, several potatoes, a couple onions, many hardtacks (which dumpling-ed up nicely), some pork, and some salt & pepper. It was quite tasty! Thanks to Sgt. P for the large cookpot, and to Pvt. Swank for sticking around the fire to see to its cooking while most of the rest of us headed off to check out the "painted ladies" and took a dip in the crik.
              Charles Kibler
              Co. A, Chesapeake Volunteer Guard
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              [I]"I have been up to see the Congress and they do not seem to be able to do anything except to eat peanuts and chew tobacco, while my army is starving."[/I]
              Robert E. Lee

Comment

Working...
              X