This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: infantry uniform guidlines

Ask survivors of BGR or IPW what folks around them were wearing. I figure they don't remember. They probably remember other things, buy kit is low on the list. I have the feeling when folks emerge from the Tennessee wilderness next August, kit will be the furthest thing on their mind. Kit is fun to discuss now. It won't matter squat next August. I don't write this to say wear your kilts, but worrying about impression will be the least of concerns once they step off into the wilderness. Was then. Is now.
    Tom Yearby
    Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Here, Here Mr. Tom. Very good words of wisdom!
      Larry Young
      Deo Volente

DeQuincy F&AM #279 PM
      Pelican Civil War Lodge F&AM #1861

"ITPW" Survivor"
      Proud member of "The Independent Rifles"

11th TVI
      "Swamp Angels Mess"
      Proud decendant of Freeman Hughes 33rd Ark Co. G
      John McGowan 19th Ark Co.K (Dockerys)
      D.R. Booth 3rd Ark Co.G Three CReeks Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by Old Reb View Post
        Ask survivors of BGR or IPW what folks around them were wearing. I figure they don't remember. They probably remember other things, buy kit is low on the list. I have the feeling when folks emerge from the Tennessee wilderness next August, kit will be the furthest thing on their mind. Kit is fun to discuss now. It won't matter squat next August. I don't write this to say wear your kilts, but worrying about impression will be the least of concerns once they step off into the wilderness. Was then. Is now.
        I remember uniforms only because there are pictures out there. What I really remember are the heels of Bill Treadway's brogans, Tom Yearby's voice, a big pot of hominy and being tired, but thrilled all day for 5 days.
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Originally posted by Old Reb View Post
          I must say I always appreciate Tom Yearby's simple, yet complex wisdom!
          Think about it.
          Greg S Barnett
          Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
          ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
            I remember uniforms only because there are pictures out there. What I really remember are the heels of Bill Treadway's brogans, Tom Yearby's voice, a big pot of hominy and being tired, but thrilled all day for 5 days.
            Hominey? Are you asking for MORE hominey Private Cooper?:D

A 100 pound sack of hominey lasts a mighty long time. And the weevils add protein
            Terre Hood Biederman
            Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
            Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Tom is right. You don't remember the uniforms , but you will remember your pards. I was at both BGR and IPW and I must say that the only thing that I can remember about the uniforms was that they weren't clean after the charcoal forest.
              Raul Fuentez
              Hailing from Parts Unknown:confused:

Minion of the Warlord Mess:angry_smi

Comment

Originally posted by Spinster View Post
                Hominey? Are you asking for MORE hominey Private Cooper?:D

A 100 pound sack of hominey lasts a mighty long time. And the weevils add protein
                Orderly Sgt, if you please madame. As an old soldier once said (maybe Tom) "a change is as good as a rest." The hominey was a seriously welcome change of diet, weevils, leaves and all. I will never, ever forget you, the little girl who reminded me so much of my daughter, nor the chance to stretch out for a bit at the refugee camp.
                Soli Deo Gloria
                Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Originally posted by PogueMahone View Post
                  Having been consulted about the guidelines during the early phase of organizing this event, being the company captain for this event, being a past organizer of events and generally inclined to point out nonsense as I see it, allow me to add my thoughts ...

As has been pointed out, research was done. Nothing definitive nor conclusive was found. There are no narrative descriptions of clothing or photographs known at this time of the 57th Georgia during the time frame being portrayed. So, what we don't know is huge.
                  Originally posted by Rob Murray View Post
                  After doing my own research and with the helpful suggestions of others and after reviewing unique images of the area, the event team made the decision to go with these guide lines.

If you or anyone else can tell us definitively, what these boys were wearing, we would love to hear it. When and if that time comes, if possible, we will change the guide lines. Barring that, let’s not discuss what they MIGHT have been wearing.
                  Wish I could be there, as I have drill that weekend. This event sounds exciting. ;)

I fully agree with the event organizers, Mr. Smotherman/Mr. Murray's comments above. They have done their research for this event and made some command decisions according to that research, so please trust their vision. :D

This discussion thread has run its course... please take any more discussion of this matter offline.

All the best in friendship- Johnny Lloyd:wink_smil
                  Johnny Lloyd
                  John "Johnny" Lloyd
                  Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                  SCAR
                  Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                  Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                  Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                  Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
                  X