A Confederate perspective on the evacuation of Fort Moultrie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Confederate perspective on the evacuation of Fort Moultrie

Historical Confederate Correspondence, etc.

Occupation Of Castle Pinckney, Fort Moultrie

And Sullivan's Island By The South Carolina Troops.

Executive Department, Charleston. December 28th, 1860. Hon. D. F. Jamison, president of the Convention:

Sib : As the Convention sent for me yesterday to be informed upon important business. I take the occasion to say that, under my order, Castle Pinckney was taken last evening, and the United States flag hauled down and the Palmetto banner run up in its place. And I also ordered a detachment from an artillery regiment to occupy Sullivan's Island: and, if it could be done without any immediate danger from mines, or too great loss of life, to take Fort Moultrie, run up the Palmetto flag, and put the guns in immediate preparation for defense. I have now full possession of those two forts. I considered the evacuation of Fort Moultrie, under all circumstances, a direct violation of the distinct understanding between the authorities of the government at Washington and those who were authorized to act on the part of the State, and bringing on a state of war. I. therefore, thought it due to the safety of 'the State that I should take the steps I have. I hope there is no immediate danger of further aggression for the present.

Respectfully,

F. W. Pickens, Governor.

Washington, January 2d, 1861. flan. M. L. Bonham, Charleston, 8. C.:

Holt succeeds Floyd.* It means war. Cut off supplies from Anderson, and take Sumter soon as possible.

Louis T. Wiofall
    [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
    ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]
Working...
X