Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ONV Iron Brigade Guard NMP LH - August 23-25

Hi gents,

I wanted to share some information on the last of the series of NMP LH many of us have helped host looking at the men of the Iron Brigade of the West. We will be hosting an NMP LH at Gettysburg with demonstrations, marching to Herbst Woods and the Railroad Cut, reading docents from the original men on the real ground, and holding some ceremonies to honor the original men we attempt to portray.

The Iron Brigade Guard is a unique impression that was formed in June of 1863 comprised of the five infantry regiments forming the Iron Brigade of the West. Below I have listed the sections of the original Iron Brigade Guard of 20 men for each section. Our goal is to have a representation from each section for our NMP LH.

I realize their are a ton of events going on and hype of Gettysburg is focused on the two big reenactments. This event will offer something unique and history rich.

There is a $20.00 fee to attend which will cover rations being issued and battlefield preservation. Registration will be on a first come first serve basis. This is an invitation only event. Please seek an invitation from the POC’s listed below or event POC Tom Klas at fallriversoldier@hotmail.com

Each section of the Guard will have an impression unique to the regiment they are composed of. Listed below are the points of contact to assure your spot in the Iron Brigade Guard. Each section will have a cap of 20 men as per the original Iron Brigade Guard on July 1st, 1863.

2nd Wisconsin – POC – Brad Argue – brad_argue@hotmail.com

6th Wisconsin – POC – Tom Klas – fallriversoldier@hotmail.com

7th Wisconsin – POC – Tyler Scott – tdscott@clemson.edu

19th Indiana – POC – Open – Contact Tom Klas if interested

24th Michigan –POC – Jeremy Bevard - jbj696@yahoo.com

If you have interest, please consider contacting the POC's listed for each section and visit our PDF registration form at http://hardheadmess.org/PDF/Gettysbu...ket%202013.pdf

Thanks gents and hope to see you at Marmaduke's in April,

Tom
    Last edited by JimKindred; 02-26-2013, 12:13 PM. Reason: Event approved.
    Tom Klas
    Hard Head Mess
    Citizens Guard

Re: ONV Iron Brigade Guard NMP LH - August 23-25

Tom,

Thanks for sharing this information. I expect a quality time, much like we had at Antietam as the 7th WI and Gainesville (aka Brawner's Farm) as the 6th WI in 2012, at Bull's Run in 2011 as the 2nd WI, Perryville as the 21st WI, in 2010, ect. ect. ect.

Folks, the M.O. for this type of living history involves moving around the park, following the footsteps of those who were there before us, and getting deep into the words of the men who served on the field that day. I have a lot of great memories of events using this format. Looking to see Gettysburg without the crowds in July? This will be a good way.
    Andy Ackeret
    A/C Staff
    Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

After all of the 150th mega stuff, this will be a great chance to do a living history on sacred soil. Thanks Tom for putting this together.

Steve Acker

Comment

Hi gents,

While getting back from Marmaduke Raid II I just wanted to let everyone know registrations are starting to come in. Still looking for someone with interest in the 19th Indiana. 2nd, 6th, 7th Wisconsin, and 24th Michigan representation is coming in.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Thanks,

Tom
        Last edited by TKlas; 04-08-2013, 07:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
        Tom Klas
        Hard Head Mess
        Citizens Guard

Comment

Hi gents,

I am pleased to announce Dave Gerow and Jason Reinholz will be leading the two companies of the Iron Brigade Guard at Gettysburg National Military Park this August 23-25th. Dave and Jason are top rail officers that will take care of our companies during the living history weekend. They will be taking on the roles of Lt. Lloyd Harris (6th Wisconsin) and Lt. Levi Showalter (2nd Wisconsin) during the weekend whom led the original Iron Brigade Guard 150 years ago.

We are about two months away from registration closing. If you are considering coming out with us, please contact myself or any of the POC's listed.

Thank you and happy Decoration Day Weekend!

Tom
          Tom Klas
          Hard Head Mess
          Citizens Guard

Comment

Will Lt. Harris bring his fiddle?

Today, we bring you the second part of Lance Herdegen’s two-part piece about the music of the Iron Brigade, which was not only one of the most famous fighting units in the Army of the Potomac but whose members also happened to have a particular ear for music. “Any veteran memory of the long marching […]
            Paul McKee

Comment

Hi Paul,

We might have to work on that fiddle playing : ). But the post gives some insight from Lance on some songs I am sure we will sing during the weekend.

Tom
              Tom Klas
              Hard Head Mess
              Citizens Guard

Comment

This event looks to have everything going for it - great leadership from the top down, location, subject, units but alas, not for me schedule wise. Tom ya gotta promise somebody will do 19th Indiana :)
                Soli Deo Gloria
                Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Hi Doug,

We will try to get some quality gents to portray the 19th during the weekend. We still have room before hitting our cap of 40 men if interested please feel free to contact me. Registration deadline is July 31st. Our packet to review online is at http://hardheadmess.org

Thank you,

Tom
                  Tom Klas
                  Hard Head Mess
                  Citizens Guard

Comment

If your interested in portraying the 7th Wisconsin there are some slots left. Contact Tyler Scott - tdscott@clemson.edu ASAP to secure your spot. This is guaranteed to be a fantastic time so don't delay!
                    Tyler Underwood
                    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Hi everyone,

We are that the two week warning for registration to close on the Gettysburg NMP Iron Brigade Guard LH. If you have questions, feel free to post or PM me here.

Our event packet and registration materials can be found at http://hardheadmess.org/

As many of you know this is the last of our series of National Military Park Battlefield living histories our mess is hosting taking at look at the men of Gibbon's Western Brigade later known as the Iron Brigade of the West.

Thank you everyone for your interest and support!

Tom
                      Tom Klas
                      Hard Head Mess
                      Citizens Guard

Comment

Hi everyone,

I am very pleased we have a excellent group of comrades formed for this unique NMP LH opportunity. I have some space left but registration will close on July 31st. If you are interested in attending and have not contacted me or a POC - please do before Tuesday.

Thank you all for your support and the AC forum for allowing us this thread.

Our event packet and registration materials can be found at http://hardheadmess.org/ Communications have been sent out to registered participants and will also have updates on our facebook group page.

Hope to see many of you in less than a month.

Tom
                        Tom Klas
                        Hard Head Mess
                        Citizens Guard

Comment

Hi gents,

Communications on the event have been sent out today and more coming in the future. If you have not received an e-mail and you are registered for the event, please PM me.

Leadership for our LH is as follows:

Dave Gerow - Lt. Loyd Harris
                          Jason Reinholz - Lt. Levi Showalter

Brad Argue - Sergeant
                          Jeremy Bevard - Sergeant

Tyler Scott - Corporal
                          Andy Ackeret - Corporal
                          Dan Barker - Corporal
                          Tom Klas - Corporal

See everyone in two weeks.
                          Tom Klas
                          Hard Head Mess
                          Citizens Guard

Comment

Tom Klas and the ONV put on a phenomenal event this weekend. Great weather and organization. If you have an opportunity to attend events these guys are a part of I highly recommend it. Great job, guys!
                            Ivan Ingraham
                            AC Moderator

Comment

Could not argee more Ivan. Marching 8 miles along the original ground while reading primary accounts of what took place with the Iron Brigade with pards all around was worth every penny and mile to get there. The weather was about as perfect as it can get on top of it all like a cherry.
                              Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                              Civil War Digital Digest
                              Sally Port Mess

Comment

Working...
                              X