150th Battle of Pilot Knob, Missouri Sept. 27-28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150th Battle of Pilot Knob, Missouri Sept. 27-28

Mark your calendars for the weekend of Sept. 27-28 and the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Pilot Knob in Missouri. I am hoping to raise a battalion of authentic reenactors who will portray Wood's 14th MO Cavalry at this event.

We will portray some of the Confederates in Sterling's Price's 1864 foray into Missouri. Price wasted several precious days and lost about 1,000 casualties within a half hour trying to take Ft. Davidson at Pilot Knob. The fort was guarding a railroad terminus and was under the command of Col. Thomas Ewing who had earned the hatred of many pro-Southern Missourians by issuing his infamous Order No. 11 which depopulated several counties in western Missouri in an attempt to control the guerilla activity there.

While Price's men were cavalry, the majority of them were on foot and a good percentage of them were unarmed. Captured Federal uniforms were not uncommon. The goal of this effort is to field a unit that will look like Price's men really did and not the usual stereotypical Confederate that is often seen at mainstream reenactments.

We will camp about 5 miles out of town, march along the route that Price's men and take part in the assaults on the original earthenwork fort. I hope to be able to arrange skirmishing on Shepard's Mt. with some authentic Federal units which will be the first time in 150 years that has taken place. The 14th was engaged in such action when they go near the fort.

Company commanders will be: Frank Aufmuth, Nic Clark, Terry Leggans and Cody Mobley.

If you want to be unarmed, you should buddy up with someone who is willing to take a hit so that you can recover their weapon for the next assault. All unarmed men should wear their own accoutrements and have their own rounds and caps.

Please let your company commander know whether you are are interested in portraying an unarmed recruit and who you're armed buddy will be. Also let them know if you are interested in wearing Federal uniform.

To keep things balanced, each company commander will have guideline on how many of each impression to have in their company.

Guidelines

Hat: Civilian style
    Kepis are discouraged. Officers may wear them but I would prefer a civilian style hat for them also.

Jacket: Homespun/commutation jean wool jackets in butternut/brown colors
    Civilian sack coat
    Civilian frock coat
    Federal sack coat – limited numbers – see footnote
    NO GRAY military jackets unless that is all you have. Officers may wear jackets/coats of gray material if desired. See footnote

Trousers: Civilian style
    CS style jean wool
    Federal trousers - limited – see footnote

Shirt: Civilian style of proper materials and construction

Shoes: Military or civilian style shoes/boots of proper material and construction.

Haversack: Typical cloth CS style or civilian haversack
    Federal haversack

Canteens: Tin drum
    Wooden
    Federal smoothside or bullseye

Belt: Roller buckle
    Georgia Frame
    Any civilian type or generic Confederate style belt
    Federal – do not turn buckle upside down

Cap Pouch: CS style of proper material and construction – leather or painted cloth
    Federal cap pouch

Cartridge box: Generic CS style box of proper construction – a Trans-Mississippi style is preferred. Can be worn on sling or belt and be of leather or painted cloth.
    Federal box on sling or belt. Leave box plate on so public can clearly see you are carrying Federal equipment and do not turn upside down.

Weapons: 1853 Enfield
    ’61 Springfield
    ’63 Springfield
    ’42 Springfield
    Civilian style rifle
    Shotgun – single or double barrel
    A belt knife can be carried but must be secured in a scabbard.
    NO Flintlocks or pistols. Officers may carry a sidearm if they choose.
    Bayonet is optional but if carried, bring properly fitting scabbard

NOTE: I thought I would put my reasons about some of the restrictions on some uniform items. One of the main goals I have for this effort is to make a clear cut distinction between our group and the usual Confederates that attend this event.

Cabell’s Brigade was the only one in Price’s army that was clothed with a large number of gray jackets and looked like a military unit. I have purposely chosen an outfit that was not in gray. Most of the mainstreamers at this event will be wearing some form of gray probably so I would like to shy away from that. If you only have a gray jacket, then wear it. I don’t expect anyone to go out and purchase a new item of clothing just for this event unless you just want to use it as an excuse to get something new.

As to the limitations on Federal gear – There were a number of Price’s men who were wearing Federal uniforms but I do not want us to have so many that we tend to look like a Missouri Militia unit. Therefore, they will be limited to a certain percentage of each company. If you want to wear Federal uniform you will need to contact your company commander and let him know. He will control how many will be outfitted in his company based on numbers I give him.

This includes Federal trousers. While there were men wearing them, there will be many, many mainstreamers wearing them. To help make the distinction between us and them, I am limiting the wear of Federal trousers to those who are cleared to wear Federal coats also.

There is a Facebook page in place also: https://www.facebook.com/groups/573798456011788/
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Re: 150th Battle of Pilot Knob, Missouri Sept. 27-28

Mike, there has been planning with Holmes guys, some Hairy Nation, and Cal about a Federal authentic portrayal as well. Perhaps we can coordinate to engage, much as the Culps Hill fight at BGA Gettysburg between authentics.
    Frank Siltman
    24th Mo Vol Inf
    Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
    Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
    Company of Military Historians
    Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Frank, that's the plan. If we get to do the Shepard's Mt. scenario we would be facing the guys you mention. I've got to work that one out though. Keep your fingers crossed that we are able to do it.
      Michael Comer

Comment

Are you looking for mounted guys as well?
        Bill Jordan

“I ended the war a horse ahead.”
        Nathan Bedford Forrest

Comment

Bill,

We are concentrating on dismounted since so many of Price's men were without mounts. There are mounted elements that usually take part in reenactment though.
          Michael Comer

Comment

Already had Dan Chalmer and Larry Morgan contact me with regards to an authentic Confederate mounted impression. BTW, I have no desire to be part of the shoot-em ups or the Confederate carosuel.
            Bill Jordan

“I ended the war a horse ahead.”
            Nathan Bedford Forrest

Comment

I think a mounted contingent with us would be good and I had chatted a bit with Dan about it at an earlier time. And yes, you don't want to do the standard cav stuff at this because there were no mounted actions. Check out the FB page and join us there and we'll work out the details.
              Michael Comer

Comment

I am planning to attend Pilot Knob. I am looking to fall in with a quality group doing federal.
                Jake Book

------------------
                21st Wisconsin - Picket Post - May, 2016
                123rd Illinois - Perryville - October, 2016

Comment

Jake,
                  The Holmes Brigade, the 24th Mo Inf (my group), some of the Hairy Nation fellows, and some other messes are looking to form a quality Federal organization.
                  Holmes Bde and 24th Mo are both on Facebook, and websites;
                  Website of Civil War Federal Reenacting Unit, the 24th Missouri Infantry Volunteers, a Federal Campaigner Company

Frank Siltman
                  24th Mo Vol Inf
                  Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Registration packets will be posted in the files section of the FB page by this weekend. You will need to send me the Missouri Civil War Reenactors Association (MCWRA) registration, the battalion registration and the usual waiver form. The link to the Facebook page can be found at the bottom of the first post in this thread.

Registration will be $20. This is for $10 MCWRA fee for insurance and $10 for rations. Rations will be designed to supplement what you have brought from home. You will be issued meat and a seasonal fruit or vegetable on Friday night.

Stay tuned for more info.
                    Michael Comer

Comment

Is there any info on the federal contingent?
                      Kenny Pavia
                      24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Kenny,

Many of us are falling in with Cal Kinzer. Kinzer will have one company under the direction of the Holmes Brigade. Give Cal a message and I am sure he and the 24th will have a place for you.

Holler
                        Nathan Hellwig
                        AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                        "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Kenny,
                          Holler is correct. I'll be First Sgt for the 24th MO contingent under Cal, and as Holler states, we will be with the Holmes Bde, intending to hopefully form a Bn under Steve Dunfee if we have enough Feds. We also have interest from other Feds in this end of the hobby that may lead to a third company even for our group.
                          Frank Siltman
                          24th Mo Vol Inf
                          Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Comment

Awesome, thanks! I'm definitely getting in on this.
                            Kenny Pavia
                            24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

This is shaping up to be a very interesting event. I'm not at liberty to disclose too much but will say that we are going to have an opportunity to do something that hasn't been done since 1864 and will probably not be done again. That's your teaser - get registered for a unique Trans-Miss experience.
                              Michael Comer

Comment

Working...
                              X