FYI Federal Campaigner Contingent for Pilot Knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI Federal Campaigner Contingent for Pilot Knob

I have been following the discussion regarding Mike Comer's battalion of Wood's 14th Missouri Cavalry with interest. I've noticed some trepidation among some onlookers, in regards to Pilot Knob being a mainstream event, with perhaps slight concern of quality participation. I am hoping this has not caused pause, as there is most assuredly a strong Federal campaigner effort already in place to mirror the movements of the 14th Missouri the entire event.

The Independent Volunteer Battalion (IVB) from the trans-miss area has already been established for this event, and there has been discussion of such in other threads of this event folder. It features one and maybe perhaps even two companies of the Holmes Brigade; a full sized company consisting the 24th Missouri, the Hairy Nation Boys of Iowa, and a contingent from Minnesota, all led by Cal Kinzer; and an additional company led by Matt Boehnert of Missouri. As of now current numbers on paper for the battalion is 124 officers and rifles, with Steve Dunfee in command. Recruiting and information was passed along mainly through emails, word of mouth, and via specialized Facebook pages. The IVB will be portraying the 14th Iowa Volunteer Infantry, which was actually a battalion-sized unit of four companies at this battle. The scenario will be of typical Federal troops in September of 1864, and the standard late-war Western impression will be used.

For interested onlookers, the recreated battalion's Facebook page can be found at:

In addition, Nathan Hellwig has started a Facebook page for Cal Kinzer's company at:
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/252139204985027/.

Pre-registration for this event has passed, but there is of course still time to get in the mix, both as Fed and CSA. The plan is for a lot of movement, sleeping on arms, and fighting in Fort Davidson. Many of the boys signing on in our company have stated specifically they were stir crazy after the long summer. This is a perfect event to knock off the summer rust, in preparation for fall campaigns. I would encourage all CSA types who are perhaps sitting on the fence to give this thing a shot and contact Mike Comer. In fact I think Mike's guys are actually outnumbered as of now. If you are strictly Fed, we are not actively recruiting for our company here, but all interested individuals must send an email to Cal Kinzer at ckinzer@juno.com We have set a cap at 40 officers and rifles, but I think Cal also wanted to allow for attrition. Our 14th Iowa roster of the 24th Missouri/Hairy Nation Boys/Minnesota company is set as follows:

Auger, Erik
    Beck, James
    Belland, Chris
    Boorom, Jeff
    Brooks, Bryan
    Campbell, Arch
    Cassady, Matt
    Cate, Ron
    Christenson, Will
    Cope, Don
    Crawford, Jim
    Dally, Kevin
    Darby, Dustin
    DeCarlo, Peter
    Fair, Eric
    Frye, Matt
    Garrett, Luke
    Hellwig, Nathan (Second Sergeant)
    Hollenbeck, Jay
    Holmes, Will
    Ilgenfritz, Michael
    Kinzer, Cal (Captain)
    Musgrove, Joe
    Panther, Thomas
    Pavia, Kenny
    Phineas, Mike (Corporal)
    Russell, David
    Selvig, Erik
    Siltman, Aaron
    Siltman, Frank (First Sergeant)
    Siltman, Jonathan (Corporal)
    Spicer, Shawn
    Sproat, Scott
    Teeple, James
    Vlahos, Ben
    Vlahos, Mark (Lieutenant)
    Woods, Vol
    Woods, Vol Colten

Many of these names listed above have worked together in the recent past at such events as BGA Gettysburg, Chickamauga, and Pickett's Mill. The leadership team is very strong and experienced, and a bully time should be had. On to Fort Davidson!
    Last edited by Strawfoot; 08-03-2014, 05:15 PM.
    Mike Phineas
    Arlington, TX
    24th Missouri Infantry
    Independent Volunteer Battalion
    www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Re: FYI Federal Campaigner Contingent for Pilot Knob

Huzzah! Looking forward to it!
    Kenny Pavia
    24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

This is a great guest list, Mike. Work scheduling precludes this for me, but this is a strong showing.

I know Mike Comer is recruiting hard for CS forces, and this too seems to be a fine crew, so I would think you can't go wrong if you can make it.

Wish I could!
      Ivan Ingraham
      AC Moderator

Comment

Intent was simply to show Mike's boys would be busy!
        Mike Phineas
        Arlington, TX
        24th Missouri Infantry
        www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Pictured here is Cal Kinzer's Company H of the 14th Iowa Volunteer Infantry Regiment (recreated), at the base of Shepard's Mountain, Pilot Knob, Missouri. Together with two companies of the Holmes Brigade, led by Aaron Racine and Charles D. Hoskins , and a color guard led by Matt Bohnert, our company formed an independent volunteer battalion of almost 80 rifles led by Dom Dal Bello. We had some serious attrition, but remained the largest battalion on the field from either side as we set up camp at Fort Davidson, near Pilot Knob Missouri, and set out on a weekend of living history.

Friday night at about 11:00 pm we formed up and marched two miles to the Ironton City Hall, where we bivouacked for the night and occupied the town center, sleeping out on the grounds. Saturday morning we set up a commissary, then fanned out into the town to search for contraband. We found none, but did discover a discreet monument commemorating the exact location that Ulysses S. Grant received his Brigadier General's commission in 1861. We decided at that point to solemnly inform any mainstream officers who approached our company that weekend that our guiding impression for the event would be that of a just mustered in 21st Illinois.

At 1000 AM our drummer Dustin Darby sounded the long roll as a CSA brigade was force marching into town. We escaped the streets with them at our heels, trekking 3.5 miles up nearby Shepard Mountain (along a path rated by the Missouri Park Service as "difficult"), and fighting a sharp rearguard action at the mountain's summit. As strenuous the march was for us, we knew our brothers in gray led by Michael Comer had it much worse, as they were off the roads trying to flank us through the thick rocks and scrubs.

I am proud to say our column made it off that damn mountain fairly intact, just in time to join the "celebration of historical events" over at Fort Davidson, where our mainstream counterparts were having at it. And it was the weekend's highlight to enter the field on a beautiful fall day, flags flying, drums beating a quickstep, worn and tired, while the spectators parted ways and were treated to what civil war soldiers were really about. I believe this was probably the largest spectator crowd I' ve seen at an event in quite some time, with the folks literally on top of the action and mingling through the camps.

Definite highlight of the event was just seeing old friends, even among the circus. Remarked to Dom that this was 'just like old times...' Saw John Pillers and the Skulkers Mess, Rob Murray floating around in fine spirits, met a great pard and hopeful new addition to our rolls in Erik Auger, AJ, Charles and the boys from Holmes Brigade, meeting Matt Cassidy and his Minnesota boys, took over the beer tent with Cody Mobley, Adam Johnson, Phil Graf and the rest of my fellow Texans Saturday night. After what we went through that day, we just grinned at each other not really giving a sh*t. I mean it was literally a carnival around the fort anyhow. Matt Bohnert's company was hit hard by attrition, so they borrowed the colors from the Holmes guys and became the color guard. It was just one of those nice weather events with a lot of highlights and very little regrets, no matter the circumstances.

Moment of the event:

Pouring volley fire shots over the redoubt walls on Sunday while under assault, looking out in the field to see Nic Clark's company, decimated and hastening to turn around a captured field piece to fire up at us.

Pilot Knob 3.jpg
          Last edited by Strawfoot; 09-29-2014, 10:16 AM.
          Mike Phineas
          Arlington, TX
          24th Missouri Infantry
          www.24thmissouri.org

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Mike,
            That must have been taken before we made the trek up the mountain. To tell the truth, the only reason I went was for the march up the mountain and being with the pards. Even though the mountain route was extended and the hot weather, I could have given two hoots in h&&l about the shot-em up at the Fort. The last CW event I participated in was the 150th of P. Grove and seeing some of the mainstream impressions, now I know why. My god people, please do some research.
            I was in Co E under Aaron Racine and we had a couple of old goats, I mean veterans with us, but they made the trip.
            Bill Jordan

“I ended the war a horse ahead.”
            Nathan Bedford Forrest

Comment

Difficult indeed. Coming straight from a 4 mile march and seeing that mountain go straight up made my heart sink. Seeing you fellas leaving the courthouse as we arrived was nice too.
              Mike McGee
              Cure All Mess ~ Hard Case Boys
              Co A, 4th Tennessee Infantry Regiment "The Shelby Greys"
              Co C, 25th Regiment, Indiana Infantry

Pvt. Francis "Frank" Agee- G, G, G-Uncle
              Co H, 22nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment
              KIA Battle of Shiloh-April 6, 1862
              Resting in Peace on that Hallowed Ground

Comment

Bill, nope, that picture was after the climb and decent!!!! You just can't see the sweat pouring off of our brows or the grimace of pain on my face..... :D
                Being with pards was the best part and after we did the campaigner adjunct, yep it was a little bit of a letdown to go that camp, but being around pards was the point, and we kept our area to standard, that is if you don't count the hundreds of spectators. But the other point to that is, I think the spectators saw a very distinct camp from all the others.
                Frank Siltman
                24th Mo Vol Inf
                Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
                Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
                Company of Military Historians
                Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Ah, the memories!
                  John Pillers
                  Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Working...
                  X