Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 150th Battle of Fort McAllister Federal Company December 12-14, 2014

UPDATES!

Folks, Information from the Head Cheese has been sent.

1) We'll need 60 rounds for the event. I am confident you all can handle this.

2) Gear: Western Federal, period construction techniques, I think you all know this. I'll post the AG company guidelines soon.

3) Drill: We are using Casey's Manual. The major differences is the stacking of arms, where the firearm goes when loading, fixing/unfixing bayonets. Since some of us are bringing repeaters, I may just have you ground arms. Also, study up on skirmish drill. We'll be doing this.

Note: ***We are going to have company drill Friday. The most important aspect is placement when loading and firing. Safety in the ranks when firing is my Number 1 priority. The NCOs have free reign to correct issues as they see fit. We' aren't being jerks, we are making sure you all are safe.***

4) We will be participating in a Guard Mount scenario on Saturday after the battle scenario. Dom's manual is a great primer to review.

5) There will be some form of parade during the weekend. Part of army life that I haven't participated in since 2011 if you can believe it.

Get registered please! This isn't a walk on friendly event. AG men. This is a max effort event, I expect you to be signing up. Questions regarding the company? Ask away.

Big Assed Drill Manual Link: http://www.zipcon.net/~silas/links.htm
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

Recent Update:

From Joe Blunt....
      Fellows,
      We are about just less than one month from the event and just a couple of weeks for registration cut-off for US troops.
      I have attached a registration packet to pass to those troops who are interested.
      Some other information to be passed out that came from a meeting I had last week. Those interested, and can make it, there will be a small march (about 4 mi) on Friday. This will be a publicity event for the program. The plans are to do it and even stop at one of the still existing plantation homes while working our way to the fort. The time for this is 10 am. So if you want to do this, let me know and make sure you are at the park by 9am Friday. I know this is short notice and for many of you and yours, but it was just put on me and I am passing it along.

Please remember that this is a pre-registration only event. absolutely NO WALK ONS. So please pass this along.

I know getting time off is tricky for Fridays, but I'm all in for the march. Questions? Please ask!
      Herb Coats
      Armory Guards &
      WIG

Comment

what are the uniform guidlines ?

thanks
        Last edited by James 61; 11-13-2014, 06:43 PM.
        James Angel

Comment

Man, dad blast it!!... I really would love to travel to this event, I would fly out to do this, but I am committed that weekend to portraying COL Ben Grierson here at a living history event at the Fort Sill National Historic Landmark. Work before pleasure...
          Frank Siltman
          24th Mo Vol Inf
          Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
          Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
          Company of Military Historians
          Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

US Kit Guidelines for Armory Guards Company

1) Headgear:
            A) Hardee hat unadorned
            B Citizen Hats
            C) Forage caps (limited for this theatre)

2) Jackets
            A) Four button fatigue sack coat
            B Federal Shell Coats
            C) Frock Coats (limited)

3) Trousers
            Sky Blue foot pattern trousers
            Limited civilian trousers (there are accounts of US soldiers replacing their worn out pants with civilian pants “foraged” from homes and towns.

3) Shirts
            A) Federal Issue Pattern of wool flannel
            B Civilian pattern

4) Socks
            A) Issue
            B Citizen

5) Shoes
            A) US Issue pattern
            B Citizen pattern

6) Drawers
            A) US issue
            B Civilian

7) Cartridge Box
            Black US Boxes of any DOCUMENTED pattern

8) Cap Box

9) Scabbard
            A) 2 Rivet Scabbard
            B) 7 Rivet Scabbard

10) Belt
            A) US puppy paw buckle black leather, leather keeper
            B) US mid war arrow back black leather brass keeper optional

11) Weapons
            A) p53 British Enfield
            B) p61 US Springfield
            C) p42 US Springfield (last choice, try to borrow a .58 caliber firearm before bringing this)

12) Knapsacks
            A) m55 Double Bag
            B) late war pattern Double Bag
            C) Short patent Bag
            D) Blanket Roll

13) Blanket
            A) Federal Issue
            B) Citizen in gray or tan

14) Ground Cloths
            Federal Issue gum blankets or Issue Oil Cloth (gum blanket preferred)

15) Haversacks
            A) Federal tarred
            B) Contract Haversacks

16) Canteens
            Federal issue smooth or bulls eye jean cover strongly preferred

17) Greatcoats must be of enlisted pattern in sky-blue wool

18) Federal issue shelter halves or mess flies are the strongly preferred tentage.

NO MODERN TOBACCO OR CELL PHONE USAGE. If you need to know these things step away from the LH area’s. Also period eyewear is strongly preferred. NO SUNGLASSES. NO MODERN WATCHES OR JEWELRY. NO ANIMAL PARTS!!!!!
            PS as we are doing the march to the sea some CS fly, oil cloth, canteen I'm ok with that just not in large numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Frank, I can't blame you for not going. Your prior "Gig" sounds like a lot of fun.
            Herb Coats
            Armory Guards &
            WIG

Comment

Folks, cut off for registration is December 1st. Please take care of this if you have not done so already. I am attaching the form again.

Thanks all!
              Herb Coats
              Armory Guards &
              WIG

Comment

What time do you have to get there friday night ?
                James Angel

Comment

I'd say it is a good idea to get on site by 7 to 8 pm, that is the time I'd like my of the guys in the Armory Guards company to arrive. It really depends on your company commander's suggested time of arrival.

Who are you planning on going with?
                  Herb Coats
                  Armory Guards &
                  WIG

Comment

What about a 55 Springfield? I have that and all the others but not a 61.

Randall Cooper
                    Last edited by Coatsy; 12-01-2014, 12:50 PM.
                    Randall Cooper

Comment

Folks, the 150th Fort McAllister event staff has given a little extra time for those who did not get their registrations in on time. Thanksgiving usually tends to keep everyone occupied with family, so 'enacting is in the back of your mind. That being said, go ahead and take care of the registrations if you have not done so already. Also, please let me know as well. The park staff isn't so great at breaking registrations down by company, so I'd appreciate a head's up.

We have two, maybe three men flying in for the event, if you can help with rounds for these men, I know they'll appreciate it, and provide you some funds.

I'm awaiting word on rations, but I'm thinking we'll have light fare on Friday night/Saturday day. Feel free to put "foraged" items into your haversack. Period correct food stuffs that is. Rice, sweet potatoes, and pork are totally acceptable for Federal soldiers at this stage of the Savannah Campaign. We will be taken care of Saturday night for dinner.

This is my "I'm going" list so far. Did I miss anyone?

Officer
                      Herb Coats - Company Commander

NCOs
                      David Chastain – Orderly Sergeant
                      Andrew Jerram – Second Sergeant

Enlisted
                      James Angel
                      Garrison Bare
                      Whit Barr
                      Cal Daniel
                      Conan Felix
                      Dan Giddick
                      Travis Hebert
                      Paul Jerram
                      Joe Knight
                      Stephen Lunsford
                      David Norton
                      Ried Prestwood
                      Kyle Pretzl
                      Aron Price
                      Robert Rogers
                      Eric Smith
                      Chadd Wilson

Mr. Cooper. If you have an Enfield rifle musket, you will be fine with that. The US battalion guidelines are as follows (a good refresher too)

1) Headgear:
                      A) Hardee hat unadorned
                      B Citizen Hats
                      C) Forage caps (limited for this theatre)

2) Jackets
                      A) Four button fatigue sack coat
                      B Federal Shell Coats
                      C) Frock Coats (limited)

3) Trousers
                      Sky Blue foot pattern trousers
                      Limited civilian trousers (there are accounts of US soldiers replacing their worn out pants with civilian pants “foraged” from homes and towns.

3) Shirts
                      A) Federal Issue Pattern of wool flannel
                      B Civilian pattern

4) Socks
                      A) Issue
                      B Citizen

5) Shoes
                      A) US Issue pattern
                      B Citizen pattern

6) Drawers
                      A) US issue
                      B Civilian

7) Cartridge Box

8) Cap Box

9) Scabbard
                      A) 2 Rivet Scabbard
                      B) 7 Rivet Scabbard

10) Belt
                      A) US puppy paw buckle black leather, leather keeper
                      B) US mid war arrow back black leather brass keeper optional

11) Weapons
                      A) p53 British Enfield
                      B) p61 US Springfield
                      C) p42 US Springfield (last choice, try to borrow a .58 caliber firearm before bringing this)

12) Knapsacks
                      A) m55 Double Bag
                      B) late war pattern Double Bag
                      C) Short patent Bag
                      D) Blanket Roll

13) Blanket
                      A) Federal Issue
                      B) Citizen in gray or tan

14) Ground Cloths
                      Federal Issue gum blankets or Issue Oil Cloth (gum blanket preferred)

15) Haversacks
                      A) Federal tarred
                      B) Contract Haversacks

16) Canteens
                      Federal issue smooth or bulls eye jean cover strongly preferred

17) Greatcoats must be of enlisted pattern in sky-blue wool

18) Federal issue shelter halves or mess flies are the strongly preferred tentage

NO MODERN TOBACCO OR CELL PHONE USAGE. If you need to know these things step away from the LH area’s. Also period eyewear is strongly preferred. NO SUNGLASSES. NO MODERN WATCHES OR JEWELRY. NO ANIMAL PARTS!!!!!

PS as we are doing the march to the sea some tent flies, oil cloth, canteen I'm ok with that just not in large numbers.
                      Herb Coats
                      Armory Guards &
                      WIG

Comment

Here is a great photo of Sherman's troops after the battle. Notice the wide variety of headgear, patched clothing, and (it appears to be) different trousers.

Have a great time at the event, everyone!

image.jpg
                        Ivan Ingraham
                        AC Moderator

Comment

I'm not going say what Joe Blunt would do if someone wore the "turban", but after knowing Joe for a number of years, I'd shy away from it.

Still, this is one of my favorite images. Sam Cooley at Hilton Head got to the fort a few days AFTER the attack, and was able to capture a series of very good images of the fort. The men in the photos are still in the clothes that were issued before the left Atlanta, so there is definite wear and tear, but no scare crow, or "man-pris"

Looking forward to next weekend.
                          Herb Coats
                          Armory Guards &
                          WIG

Comment

The event was a success. The US force actually outnumbered the CS garrison 2 to 1. This is a major feat, especially deep in Jeeeorgia!

From the head park ranger at Fort McAllister: "I just wanted to take a minute and thank everyone that attended the event. It went off almost perfectly, other than the Union pulling off the victory again! We had over 1200 people in attendance and nearly 300 participants. A heart felt thanks to all of the battle participants and Joe Blunt and Clint Stanley! There are no words to convey how much we appreciate you guys and what you do! I hope everyone enjoyed themselves and maybe got a small glimpse into the past and the history you have right here in your backyard. So again, thanks to our visitors, our reenactors, members of the media, and the Richmond Hill Historical Society for making this event one of the best ever! Park Manager Jason Carter".....
                            Herb Coats
                            Armory Guards &
                            WIG

Comment

Working...
                            X