• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150th Battle of Fort McAllister Federal Company December 12-14, 2014

What: 150th Battle of Fort McAllister

When: December 12 – December 14th, 2014

Where: Fort McAllister State Park, Near Richmond Hill and Savannah, Georgia

Who: Armory Guards hosting a Federal company under the overall command of Joe Blunt

POC: Herb Coats - hcoats007 @ gmail . com

Preservation Effort: In the works. We plan on having some “fun” set up for the company members that benefits the park’s coffers in the

The Plan: The Armory Guards are hosting a Federal company for the 150th Fort McAllister event December 12-14, 2014 at the actual site, 150 years from the actual date of the battle. We don't have a single unit impression because we are following actions from different units in Hazen's Division. The guiding unit impression will more than likely chosen in the near future.

We have the thumbs up to conduct a march on the park property simulating the Federal movement to the fort, we'll be following the battle scenario as close to the actual timing as possible, and we'll be bivouacking in the fort Saturday night as per history while the Johnny's get put under guard.

Besides some local living history type events around middle and south Georgia towns, this is the only campaigner friendly event that deals with the Savannah Campaign this year.

I am the POC for this effort. And the goal is to get 22-25 men in the company. A FB page has been set up, and so far there is good interest in this effort. I'm not looking for a folder since it is company level right now. Joe Blunt is the Federal commander, and he definitely would like to see more Federal campaigners at this one.

Uniform Guidelines are being fleshed out, but pretty much if you went to Bummers as a Federal, that kit is what we are looking for.
    Last edited by Silas; 02-27-2014, 11:03 PM.
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Re: 150th Battle of Fort McAllister Federal Company December 12-14, 2014

I want to update the guiding impression for this effort. The 70th Ohio Infantry is the unit that we will focus on for the event. The 70th Ohio was a veteran regiment that had seen service from Shiloh to the Savannah Campaign, and then into the Carolinas. We will be recreating actions that other units in Hazen's Division were in engaged with, but this is the over arching unit to focus on.

A portion of the regimental can be found here: http://archive.org/stream/ahistoryad.../n408/mode/2up

The regimental history can be found here: https://archive.org/details/historyofseventi00conn Page 136 begins to chronicle the actions of the regiment at Fort McAllister.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Silas; 02-27-2014, 11:04 PM.
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

Great place. I really enjoyed the Confederate living history there a couple years back.
      Last edited by Silas; 02-27-2014, 11:05 PM.
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Took some photos at McAllister a few years ago. Great site. Well-maintained. Awesome setting.

DSC00064.JPGDSC00068.JPGDSC00059.JPGDSC00055.JPGDSC00053.JPG
        Last edited by Silas; 02-27-2014, 11:02 PM.
        ERIC TIPTON
        Former AC Owner

Comment

Man that would be a great event to attend, wish it wasn't so far away and right before Christmas. I used to visit there all the time when I was stationed at Fort Stewart and it is a great site. The photos from Eric look like they have made even more improvements, I don't remember the bomb proof set up as quarters. I actually used to attend church just a few miles down the road from the park, but that was before I was in the hobby unfortunately.
          Last edited by Silas; 02-27-2014, 11:03 PM.
          Frank Siltman
          24th Mo Vol Inf
          Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
          Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
          Company of Military Historians
          Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

I used to visit Ft. Mac every time I drove by Richmond Hill. Danny Brown used to have an image of my Gr Gr Grandfather Elbert Sims, Harwicke Mtd Rifles, on the wall down there.
            [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]David Chinnis[/FONT]
            Palmetto Living History Association
            [url]www.morrisisland.org[/url]

[i]"We have captured one fort--Gregg--and one charnel house--Wagner--and we have built one cemetery, Morris Island. The thousand little sand-hills that in the pale moonlight are a thousand headstones, and the restless ocean waves that roll and break on the whitened beach sing an eternal requiem to the toll-worn gallant dead who sleep beside."

Clara Barton
            October 11, 1863[/i]

Comment

Danny Brown actually "retired" this past year. We'll miss him at the fort, but I know he is still to be found causing trouble on the Georgia Coast. I remember the photo of Sims in the museum. Small world!

- - - Updated - - -

Frank and Eric. The preservation of the fort is a great story too. Henry Ford owned the property in the early 20th Century. He had the fort rebuilt during that time frame. Ford passes away, and the recreated fort fell into disrepair again. In the 1960s, the property was created into a state park, and the fort was rebuilt again. Various improvements have occurred since I started participating in programs there in the last 10 years. The bombproof has 20 bunk beds for 40 men, a fully functional fire place. There is an additional smaller room for the officers with three beds and a large iron stove. The old museum just outside of the fort has been reconstructed as the officers quarters on the main floor, and there are now 4 wooden cabins across from the officer's quarters with two bunks, small table, and a small iron stove. It is an amazing site.
              Herb Coats
              Armory Guards &
              WIG

Comment

Folks, registration for the AG company on the Federal side has opened. I have a facebook site set up for it as well as the post here. I'll be updating both as I get the information. Registration is $15 and it covers the usual event expenses, food, etc.

This is a mail in form only. You'll have to print it out, fill it out, and send it in with the check. Please let me know if you have questions. Registration closes December 1st.

Last edited by Coatsy; 05-27-2014, 11:22 AM.
                Herb Coats
                Armory Guards &
                WIG

Comment

Is there a cap on this one Herb? I'd really like to try to make this, but I just secured the kitchen pass for Franklin. I don't want to take up a spot if I can't get there.
                  Sam Lowe
                  Sally Port Mess
                  Western Rifles

Aut Viam invenium aut faciam

Comment

Sam, there is no cap for the Federal force that I know of. So if you or your messmates can swing it, then feel free to register with the AG company. *Shameless Plug*
                    Herb Coats
                    Armory Guards &
                    WIG

Comment

Outstanding! Would really like the opportunity to fall in with you guys!

Thanks again!
                      Sam Lowe
                      Sally Port Mess
                      Western Rifles

Aut Viam invenium aut faciam

Comment

Just a friendly bump. It is summer, and I know we aren't thinking too much about a December event, but if you are attending please get the forms in.

We'll be on the original ground, 150 years to the date that the fort was captured. I spoke to one of the event organizers, and we'll be set up in the and around the fort post-capture scenario guarding the CS men on Saturday into Sunday. This is a very unique location, and it is THE event to attend to get your Savannah Campaign fix.

I've got a Facebook page set up as well, so anyone who is interested let me know.

Thanks!
                        Herb Coats
                        Armory Guards &
                        WIG

Comment

SCAR also has approval from Joe Blunt to raise a Federal company as well for this effort. FB and email communications to members has gone out.

Thanks,
                          Jim Butler
                          Jim Butler

Comment

That is great news Jim! It'll be good to have more US companies at the event.
                            Herb Coats
                            Armory Guards &
                            WIG

Comment

Ok, let me try this again. The CS registration for the event closes August 29th. This does not concern the US effort, which this blurb is for... So, the US registrations are due by December 1st. Thanks to Jordan and Joe Blunt for setting the dates straight for registrations. So, there is plenty of time to get your registrations in for "Uncle Sherm's" men.

Thanks!
                              Last edited by Coatsy; 08-06-2014, 12:46 PM. Reason: Correct Dates, Oye!
                              Herb Coats
                              Armory Guards &
                              WIG

Comment

Working...
                              X