Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franklin 150th AAR's

Greetings!

Just left Carnton Plantation. The hospital scenario was out of this world. More about that soon, I'm sure. I had fun. How about you?
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 12-01-2014, 07:53 AM.
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: Franklin 150th AAR's

You can always tell when something good is afoot. The forum goes quiet.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I wasn't at the event but as a Nashville native I can say whoever was in charge of the weather covered himself in glory. :)
      John Duffer
      Independence Mess
      MOOCOWS
      WIG
      "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

I had a blast as well! ET it was good to see you, Ken and Joe again. I will post my full AAR once I recover from the Franklin flu.
        Tyler Underwood
        Pawleys Island #409 AFM
        Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Franklin was wonderful! If you missed it, you missed a good time. Weather held-out, land is being preserved and reclaimed for a new memorial park, we scared some spectators with an all-too-real-feeling hospital scenario, had some homemade beer and got a tour of the Carnton House. The SCAR CS company of the 20th TN was in great spirits and plenty of cheer to go around!

My wife and the other SCAR Civilians played over at Rippavilla and made Thanksgiving dinner around the campfire complete with Figgy Pudding and brandy sauce. Well worth the time.
          Johnny Lloyd
          John "Johnny" Lloyd
          Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
          SCAR
          Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
          Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
          Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
          Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Here is a photo taken at the conclusion of the event in Wendell Decker's tent. Thanks to Wendell for the accommodations. Much-appreciated!

Pictured: Laying in front - William "Huck" Green. Behind him, left-to-right - Ken Cornett, Joe Liechty and Me:

Franklin - Mess No. 1.jpg
            ERIC TIPTON
            Former AC Owner

Comment

Was one of the surgeons sat. evening. I have never done a surgical scenario on that scale ever. After almost 3 hrs. I was exhausted.
              Jim "Doc" Bruce
              War means fightn and fightn means killn.
              L 'audace, l 'audace, Toujours l 'audace.
              Every man must know his limitations.

Comment

When we arrived at Carton we were pleasantly surprised to run into Corny and ET, and took a few minutes to do some catching up with my fellow Buckeyes. Registration was a breeze! It was a simple as walking up and telling Woodburn, “Hey I’m here”

The camps were in a good location and although the Federals were close, you could never really tell that they were there. The rations were outstanding; Mr. Lloyd and I found ourselves with so much food that we shared with our company. I personally found myself eating as much as I could Friday evening just so I didn’t have to carry it all.

Saturday morning we had time for company drill which is something sorely lacking in the hobby and there was time yet to relax. When we arrived on Winsted Hill us SCAR boys had a fine time singing, boiling coffee, sleeping, talking and just being normal soldiers. Mr. Craddock gave us a nice talk about the battle and it wasn’t until then that I realized exactly how horrible the fighting at Franklin truly was.

Our march to the Carter House turned out to be quite an emotional affair for many of us within the battalion. Words cannot express how humbled I was to march those two miles and it was only amplified by the setting of the sun; it truly felt like the end. With my mind drifting to the thoughts of the those who made the assault 150 years ago and the business that was soon to present itself to us, I found it rather easy to see past the modern intrusions.

When we finely made our turn down Strahl Street it was a relief to see the federals and the spectators (who had a grad view) behind the works. Marching by the left flank we fronted, dressed our ranks and delivered a crisp volley into their lines, and then began our advance. About 50 yards from the federal line we lost all sight of the enemy until we crested the hill. It was at this point that we began to take fire and a desperate rush was made to reach their works but were driven back. The fighting quickly erupted into chaos with remnants of each company mixed together. After three more failed attempts to reach their lines and repulsing one counter attack the 20th Tn. Was forced to withdraw.

After the fighting scenario, both the 44th Mo. And 20th Tn. Battalions reformed and marched back to Carnton Plantation. Along the way, Bro Craddock stopped us to show us the efforts of all of our preservation work, which happened to the demolishing of the strip mall beside the Domino’s Pizza.

With the sun fading fast we made our way on back to Carton where we were all fed, given instructions on the upcoming hospital scenario, and then ushered into the house. Some were given bloody bandages with a label for the type of wound and safety pins for securing to our person if needed. Within a matter of minutes the quiet antebellum home was once again turned into a scene of horror. The bottom floor was packed with over 100 men laying and moving about. Screams, moans and cries filled the house and at times was almost unbearable. Surgeons, conducted mock surgeries atop of the same piano used as an operating table during the battle, stretcher bearers brought in wounded unable to walk and carried out the dead, and Carrie McGavock tending to the wounded. All of this created such a realistic scene that some spectators were bought to tears by what they were witnessing. For three hours we had spectators waiting in a line that wrapped around the visitors center to see the reality of the savage fighting that took place at Franklin.

Once we were all complete with the hospital scenario the event was officially over, but everyone made their way back to camp for refreshment and fellowship. The weather was great, the comradery was fantastic and I couldn’t have asked for a finer bunch of fellows to spend Thanksgiving weekend with. To the Widows Sons Mess, you managed to create what I believe will be the most emotional, and unforgettable weekend I will ever experience in the hobby. For that I say thank you! For those who were unable to attend, I am truly sorry you missed this.
                Tyler Underwood
                Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Good summary, Tyler! Makes me all the more sour that I was stuck on a rig Friday! Glad everyone had a good time and the event was a success. In my absence I made a contribution to the Civil War Trust to preserve the hallowed ground at Franklin.

-Patrick
                  Patrick M. Ferringer

Governor Guards
                  SCAR

Comment

I was there briefly as a spectator, stopping by on our trip home from Thanksgiving in Indiana. My compliments to the Federal bugler! As the spectators waited for the Carter House skirmish to begin, he used the time to give a short talk on bugling and the function/importance of buglers and field music. It was very clear that he enjoys field music and had studied it thoroughly!

As a parent, I was reminded how important the physical relics of the war are for interpreting history to kids. From a distance, the Carter House is "another old house that daddy likes looking at". However, when my kids stuck their fingers in the bullet holes in the house, they recognized that wasn't stale old history in a musty smelling book, and the questions started coming.

My first visit to Franklin was in 1989 for the 125th. I visited again in 2009 for the dedication of the property acquired adjacent to the Carter House. I look forward to coming back!
                    John Wickett
                    Former Carpetbagger
                    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Saw this floating around on Facebook. This is a video taken by one of the visitors to the Hospital Scenario at the Carnton Plantation on Saturday night. It will at least give you an idea about the scenario. Keep in mind that this went on for three hours:

ERIC TIPTON
                      Former AC Owner

Comment

This was a fine event to cap off 2014. The hospital scene had to be seen to be believed. At first I was thinking this can get hokey fast, however, everyone brought their "A game" and made a truly memorable presentation for both the public and the living historians involved. Fine job one and all! See you in 2015!
                        Your humble servant....
                        Sean Collicott
                        [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
                        [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

The video only captures a part of the realism. I can safely say the hospital scenario was well-done and definitely shocked the public out of their comfort zone, as well as some fellow reenactors. Bully job!
                          Johnny Lloyd
                          John "Johnny" Lloyd
                          Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                          SCAR
                          Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                          Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                          Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                          Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
                          X