150th Battle of Pickett's Mill May 30th - June 1st, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 150th Battle of Pickett's Mill May 30th - June 1st, 2014

The event website is up. Registration is not open yet. This will happen post 150th Chickamauga events. The companys are not listed since we are still lining up commands, etc. But there are general histories regarding the battle, the commands, and other tid bits. The website will more than likely get additions as we move along.

Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

Aw mang...histury?! You xpect us to read??
      Patrick Landrum
      Independent Rifles

Comment

I recommend Ambrose Bierce's (go figure) "The Crime at Pickett's Mill" as he was an eyewitness to the battle. Certainly, his account was not to everyone's liking when published as his lambasting of commanders and decision making was not well received by contemporaries. Controversy has always been popular.

I might even dust off the traps for this one.
        Ivan Ingraham
        AC Moderator

Comment

Ergo why old Ambrose is my favorite author of the war.
          Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
          Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
          Former Mudsill
          Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

Question- the standards say that improper markings on weapons need to be removed. I'm concerned because the Blockade Runner's website says that Todd Watts isn't accepting any muskets for defarbing. So since I don't have a defarbed weapon does that mean I can't go?
            Kenny Pavia
            24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Limb View Post
              Is this event by invitation only, or will it be possible for some of us Pacific Northwest webfoots to come along and join the fun?

Thanks,

Dan Limb
              Proprietor, T.H.E.M. facebook group
              I think I can swing this!
              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Originally posted by KPavia View Post
                Question- the standards say that improper markings on weapons need to be removed. I'm concerned because the Blockade Runner's website says that Todd Watts isn't accepting any muskets for defarbing. So since I don't have a defarbed weapon does that mean I can't go?
                Try contacting Todd directly at libertytree@peoplepc.com or through this forum, of which he is a member. The information on the Blockade Runner website may or may not be correct. Also, there are other sources for defarbing. Lodgewood, Zimmerman, and the Company Quartermaster all come to mind.
                Joe Knight

Armory Guards
                Yocona Rip Raps
                "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

Herb, you guys wanting cavalry like previous years?
                  Dan Chmelar
                  Semper Fi
                  -ONV
                  -WIG
                  -CIR!

Comment

Originally posted by GenuineInformation View Post
                    Try contacting Todd directly at libertytree@peoplepc.com or through this forum, of which he is a member. The information on the Blockade Runner website may or may not be correct. Also, there are other sources for defarbing. Lodgewood, Zimmerman, and the Company Quartermaster all come to mind.
                    Thanks for the info. I knew about Zimmerman but not the other two. I want to make sure I fit all of the standards because I'd hate to go all the way out to Georgia for nothing.
                    Kenny Pavia
                    24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Todd Watts IS accepting muskets. Blokade Runner is not on his behalf - a source of irritation to Todd Watts at the moment but nothing he can do right now. They are just back-ordered and know I am undergoing a life-event change so my shop is in limbo and they don't want to get caught with a store room full of guns without any way to get them defarbed is all.

My personal e-mail changed to wattsdefarbs@gmail.com so feel free to contact me directly and I'll do what I can to get you fixed up.

Comment

*And, as someone who has sent a '42 Springfield and two Enfields to Todd, I recommend his work highly.
                        Joe Knight

Armory Guards
                        Yocona Rip Raps
                        "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

Hello folks,

Since about a month ago when Herb asked (coerced, threatened, cajoled, shanghai'd, tricked, etc. you pick your word, ha.) me to head up the CS cavalry for this event, I have been thinking that I would like to build as the core for the CS Cav at P.M. the same group of fellas that we had at Bummers a few years back. That was a fine group of cavalrymen and a group that worked together well. While the terrain may not be quite as challenging at Picketts, as was at Bummers, there are some similarities. So, if you were with us at Bummers, make your plans in early June of 2014 to be a part of the cavalry at the 150th Picketts Mill, too.

Also, I want to encourage any of you who did not make it to Bummers to come and work with us, as well. You have heard the many accolades that were placed on that event (and rightfully so) and we will go at this with the same fevor and gusto!

Ride with us in 2014!!!

thanks,
                          Mark
                          J. Mark Choate
                          7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

I know I'm a little slow getting back to the questions here. Why must the weapons be "defarbed?" Well this is a campaigner event, that's why. Do it right.
                            Folks have PLENTY of time to get this taken care of by sending them to guys like Todd and John, or arrange for a loaner. The guidelines are designed with plenty of options, but I will draw the line where needed.

Dan, if you haven't gotten in touch with Mark Choate, do so. As always feel free to contact me via PM, the facebooks, or email at hcoats007 at gmail dot com.

My home group just had a joint artillery drill and infantry drill at the park this past weekend. There is a lot of postive activity going into the event through the ranger staff, the Friends of Paulding County group an the park's new friends group. All are on board. It was hot and humid, the bugs were out in full force, and we soaked our gear fairly well with sweat. Who's ready?
                            Herb Coats
                            Armory Guards &
                            WIG

Comment

Originally posted by Coatsy View Post
                              Why must the weapons be "defarbed?" Well this is a campaigner event, that's why. Do it right.
                              Folks have PLENTY of time to get this taken care of by sending them to guys like Todd and John, or arrange for a loaner. The guidelines are designed with plenty of options, but I will draw the line where needed.
                              I wasn't asking why, I was just making sure that I understood what the standards were calling for. The website says "Proper modifications may include removal of all anachronistic markings, burnishing, replacement of barrel bands, and stamping with correct markings." So, I was just clarifying that the "may include" actually means "does include." To me, the "may include" makes defarbing seem optional. May seem like splitting hairs but the last thing I want to do is think I'm good to go, drive out to Georgia from Utah only to be a no go because I misunderstood something.

And I do plan on having stuff sent off for defarb work after BGA Gettysburg :)
                              Kenny Pavia
                              24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Well, there you have it Kenny.
                                Herb Coats
                                Armory Guards &
                                WIG

Comment

Working...
                                X