Federal Corps Badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Corps Badges

With event organizer Herb Coats’s approval, I am pleased to announce the results of the Federal Corps Badge project. Attached are the prototypes of the badges I am reproducing for the 2014 Pickett’s Mill event. The plain metal one is my pattern blank off of which all will be made to produce a uniform size.

In accordance with the order, the badge will be worn on the left side of the hat or on top of the forage cap. Please see the link below for specifics, particularly on page 508.

I thank Silas Tackitt once again for finding this information and posting the link for us.

The arguments that the order to wear these was issued a month before the battle and therefore most units would not have had time or inclination to obtain, let alone wear them, bear merit. Remember though that Hazen was a stickler for regulations and detail, and it is likely he ensured this order was followed. Granted, we can’t know for sure, but if the modern military is any indication, units in combat are subject to the same rules and regulations as the rest of the organization.

As I have stated before, what is old is new again and while I don’t like to compare what other reenactors have done in the past as a benchmark for doing something, I include the following thread for reference because there is plenty of historical supporting documentation in it. After looking at previous Pickett’s Mill event thread traffic, as in the link, past events have either required or desired Corps Badges be worn, Jon Cleveland making it a requirement in 2004.

After consulting with Herb, we have opted to make these available to those who want them. So, while we can’t make it mandatory for anyone, the hobby itself is voluntary, so what is another couple of bucks or so for a nuanced detail as we reenact the 150th anniversary of this momentous battle? If a majority of participants have them we will look sharp; if you don’t want one, no worries at all.

I have approached this reproduction with the following criteria:

Pattern—I used the dimensions of an original made in German silver with a pin back, as seen in the posted photo. The materials and craftsmanship alone make this cost-prohibitive for a one-time application such as this, but all of the badges I am making are based off of the size of this extant original. The metal badges will be minus the pin-back, but will be supplied with three holes to attach to the hat.

Materials—Per the order, these were to be made out of either cloth or metal; the color and type of either is not mandated, save that it is “blue” to identify the Third Division, and an equilateral triangle for the Fourth Corps. I am using sheet brass and hand painting the metal for the brass badges, and using Kochan & Phillips French Blue broadcloth for the cloth badges (both blue and white for the two-piece—which really look good). This is beautiful knapped wool that holds a raw edge. It is a few shades darker than sky blue kersey and lighter than dark Federal blue and will stand out nicely on a hat.

Construction—I make all the badges by hand. Cut off my pattern, sewn by hand with correct thread, and the brass badges are cut and painted by me. Although there is some bleed over in the prototypes, I think I have it down now to where the paint lines are crisp.

Price—I am selling the wool single triangles for $2; the white backing, blue wool badges for $4; and the brass for $6. Shipping is included in the price. If officers want something a little nicer they can contact me and I work with them on options for trim, details, etc. The more detailed the badges, the price will commensurately increase. However, this will allow all Federal units to be appropriately identified for the event.

These badges are monetarily cheaper than anything be currently produced, that I could find anyway, and while you can find similar ones at various sutler sites online, the shipping alone will drive the cost up considerably. Additionally, these badges have a uniform, if not field-produced look, so you badge will not look like you unwrapped the Pakistani plastic and had to sew it on with a sail palm!

Now for the best news: Fully half of the proceeds will be donated to Pickett’s Mill Park for preservation.

Ordering—I can send them to unit leaders for distribution (preferred) or to people individually. The cutoff for ordering is 24 May 2014, the same day as the cutoff for registration for the event.

Please don’t contact me after the cutoff date with a huge order, however, and be realistic in allowing me enough time to make the badges. I will bring a few with me just in case people forget or want to sew them on in the parking lot because they don’t feel it is an event unless they are still sewing in the dark the night of the reenactment.

Email me at bigbirdd03@yahoo.com with your order, questions, etc. You can also PM, but that takes up bandwidth and time and I don’t get around to answering quieries as quickly as I would like on the AC site. I can take checks, cash, money orders, and PayPal, but please send it as a “gift” so none of the proceeds are eaten up by percentage cuts.

I am looking forward to the event and seeing you all in a few months.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Last edited by Ambrose Bierce; 01-07-2014, 06:19 AM. Reason: Added photos
    Ivan Ingraham
    AC Moderator

Re: Federal Corps Badges

Hi Ivan,
    Can you recheck your links. They're not connecting. Thanks!
    Mark Krausz
    William L. Campbell
    Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
    Old Northwest Volunteers
    Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Thanks for the notification. Checked and corrected. Everything should be up and running.
      Ivan Ingraham
      AC Moderator

Comment

ONV men check the ONV Picketts Mill Company FB page or ONV website for an announcement. If you intend to register with the ONV for this endeavor and are not on the FB page for the company PM me here and I will get you added.
        Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
        Civil War Digital Digest
        Sally Port Mess

Comment

Bumping this thread up and will continue to do so until just before the event.

The first thirty badges are complete and delivered. Thanks to those who have ordered since that means a good start for preservation funds for Pickett's Mill Park.

I appreciate all inquiries from those who have expressed interest. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you want to place an order.
          Ivan Ingraham
          AC Moderator

Comment

I received some of the Corps badges from Ivan and thy look great. Jump on it to add to your impression, have a item to remember the event by and preservation.

image.jpg
            Last edited by Jeremy Bevard; 01-29-2014, 10:56 PM. Reason: iPhone being a pain
            Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
            Civil War Digital Digest
            Sally Port Mess

Comment

Thanks, Jeremy. Brass ones take the longest to make and wool ones can be cranked out pretty quickly.

Now is a good time to place an order since I have a few "snow" days to fill after the recent weather.

In the North, you guys would consider this a Spring day; down South it is a harbinger of doom!

Again, you are helping with preservation and as stated will have a small memento of the event. See the original post for all the details. Thanks to all those who have ordered thus far.
              Ivan Ingraham
              AC Moderator

Comment

Orders are being filled this week. Please keep them coming. I appreciate the interest.
                Ivan Ingraham
                AC Moderator

Comment

We just passed the $100 mark for preservation dollars! Thanks for all the interest and orders. Please keep them coming and don't delay in contacting me. May will be here before we know it!
                  Ivan Ingraham
                  AC Moderator

Comment

That is outstanding news! Thank you all who have purchased the 4th Corps badges.
                    Herb Coats
                    Armory Guards &
                    WIG

Comment

Concur - mine arrived today. Thanks Ivan for making such a cool thing and helping preservation in the process

G
                      [I][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4]Greg Schultz[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
                      [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2]Delmonico Mess[/SIZE][/FONT]
                      [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2] F&AM[/SIZE][/FONT]
                      [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2]amateur wet plate photographer[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Thanks for the positive feedback, so glad people are happy. I have a few snow days to fill, so if you want to place an order I have plenty of time to make any version people would like. A fair mix of the three have been ordered to date so there will be a bit of diversity in the ranks.
                        Ivan Ingraham
                        AC Moderator

Comment

Agreed - I received my brass variation last week, and it is now firmly affixed to the Hardee. Ivan is doing nice work on these.
                          Travis C. Hébert
                          -------------------------
                          Armory Guards / W.I.G.
                          ACWRT,GBA,CWT
                          -------------------------
                          "Flag taking was pretty well knocked out of me" Lt Wm. Pennington, 6th Wisconsin, Co. I

Comment

Received my badge from Ivan today, and I'm impressed. I really appreciate him taking on this project and delivering such a fine product.

Matt Hollis
                            Matt Hollis
                            Chattanooga, TN

Comment

Glad you like it, Matt thanks for the feedback.

Keep the orders coming, please.
                              Ivan Ingraham
                              AC Moderator

Comment

Working...
                              X