Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bentonville Event - Any word on possible planning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bentonville Event - Any word on possible planning?

Silas,

I'm not ' bucking the reigns' ;) --just a commentary. As late as the middle of last week, the Bentonville website was up, functioning, and had standards posted on the civilian side. I didn't look at the military side because, well, the civilians were well separated enough that I didn't need to care. At any rate, Mrs Brantley's work on her side of the event looked accomplished enough that I recommended to 300+ folks to mark as Goin since it conformed to our baseline standards, and any upgrades were up to us. Like-minded and all that stuff.

YMMV, and there is certainly time to make a decision.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Terre:

What is the link to the civilian portion of the event? We can check and see if Mrs. Brantley would want to post any updates on the civilian side in the civilian folder. Thank you for adding that to this discussion. I wasn't aware there was a civilian contingent. Glad we are having this conversation.

What alerted the mods into this the link that was posted by Amanda to the main Bentonville web page without any confirmation that a military adjunct was being formed. I think we will soon have more clarification on this point. In the mean time, Silas is absolutely correct. Let's hold off on any further discussion on the military side until we have a confirmation that an adjunct is occurring.

Fair enough?
      ERIC TIPTON
      Former AC Owner

Comment

As usual, I was focused upon military although it was not stated with specificity in my above post. I had not heard about a civilian effort, but then again, my ear is usually listening for the sound of military efforts. Thank you for correcting that, Mrs. L.
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I'll go ahead and ask at the risk of being rude: Can anyone confirm whether there's still a plan for any type of military campaigner adjunct at this event, Confederate or Federal? Thanks.
          Matt Lakin
          Rat Tail Mess/SCAR

"HISTORY, n. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools." Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Thank You Silas and Eric.

Mrs. Brantley's Civilian effort is embedded within the larger Bentonville website. It includes separate camping for civilians, some basic standards in material culture and camps, and general expectations for participants. It may be contiguous to a historic home, if memory serves me correctly. The website was up and running as late at the middle of last week, and I imagine they will get their problem corrected shortly. Its not like the issue is on fire or anything--we are more than 6 months out.

In looking at recommending this event to the very loosely amalgamated group of 300 + folks that participate at times under the umbrella of Blue Gray Alliance Civilian Towns, I look to the same standard a group of us agreed upon at the beginning of the 150th anniversary events : (1) Separate civilian camping removed from the military camps, with the knowledge that tentage is what it is. (2) Basic standards of expectations and safety (period dress at all times, period material culture, designated fire areas and fire watches) (3) Basic clothing standards spanning socio-economic classes and impressions appropriate to time and location during the war . (4) No artificial cap on numbers--everybody willing to be juried in, meet the standard, and make simple changes if needed is allowed to play. (5) Quality of infrastructure and track record of organizers--we set an expectation of civilians not bailing even when the weather is adverse, teach the fieldcraft needed to aid in that effort, and thus far have been able to hold to that goal. We expect organizers to have site preparations and emergency plans in place to enable events to proceed. (6) Willingness of organizers to work with civilian leadership to provide opportunities for historically appropriate interaction with military forces

As a group, we also look to other events that are not Blue Gray Alliance sponsored or insured events, but that still meet the basic criteria for civilians. For 2015, that includes Mrs. Brantley's civilian effort at Bentonville in March, the May Lincoln Train civilian effort headed by John and Elaine Masciale and Nanci Gasiel, August at Fort Snelling headed by Joe Beedle and Betsy Connally for Home Sweet Home, and two other events that will be announced shortly.

So, mmmmmm,-----yes, we see an entirely different calendar than y'all do, and one includes roles for the vast majority of the wartime population rather than excludes them.
            Terre Hood Biederman
            Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ETYank View Post
              I'll go ahead and ask at the risk of being rude: Can anyone confirm whether there's still a plan for any type of military campaigner adjunct at this event, Confederate or Federal? Thanks.

Bless you Matt--I'll go further and state a few other obvious things.

First, Its obvious some fellers want to go. Pick somebody to head it up. If y'all want to go play at Bentonville, contact Bob Minton at First Federal Division, and he will plug y'all right in as quickly as he did Murray's Brigade at Gettysburg. (No Tall Rob I am not throwing you under the bus on this one as your plate is full, though I freely admit to doing so last time. I am not throwing myself under the civilian bus in 2015 either. That why we teach folks what we've learned if they ask) . Or, talk to Jake Jeanette with the ANV--he's just as easy to find. At least I have both gentlemen on speed dial, and I'm just an old woman.

Amanda Brantley works for the Bentonville site. She is an excellent civilian reenactor, but she is new to this forum-she can't have absorbed this quickly all the nuance of how you fellers announce events. Heck, you've just straightened out the rules here lately, and it remains to be seen if those rules will be administered with an even hand.

And, a few of us still speculate---we know that Charles Heath had the research and a plan for the 150th Bentonville 'in the box'. Trouble is, we never heard him say what he'd found. I have a sneaking suspicion it had to do with all those dusty old quartermaster records he had just unwrapped the unbroken red tape on for the first time in 145 years..........

Somebody who is interested pick up this ball instead of expecting the same fellers who always do it to step to the plate and organize. You'll have to hit the ground running, but it can be done.
              Terre Hood Biederman

sigpic

Comment

After a little cajoling, I have had a change of heart.

I'll do it.

More to follow.
                Ivan Ingraham
                AC Moderator

Comment

Hello everyone!
                  I do apologize for the website, we are working on getting it back up! I'll send notice as soon as it is up & running.

Thanks!
                  Amanda Brantley

Carolina Citizens
                  http://19thcenturycookery.blogspot.com/

Comment

The website is back up & running! Sorry everyone!
                    Amanda Brantley

Carolina Citizens
                    http://19thcenturycookery.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X