Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corricks Ford - Uniform Guidelines

Greetings!

Attached as a PDF to this post are the Uniform Guidelines for Corricks Ford July 10-12, 2015. These guidleines were compiled by Joshua Mann. We greatly appreciate Josh's time and research. He compiled the 14th Ohio information for a project he was working on called The Light of Freedom. As part of his research, he found original newspaper accounts and letters from the time period before the Western Virginia Campaign. Here is a letter that was sent from Camp Putnam to the Paulding Independent that describes the Federal Uniforms that were issued to the 14th Ohio:

Paulding Independent –
    Letter from Camp Putnam
    May 27, 1861

"We reached Columbus in the evening and after some delay we were marched to a large house where each private received his knapsack, containing a cap (sometimes known as -------) with a veil cloth covering ---------- to the back; good for wet weather, and a blue jack coat, four military buttons and one side pocket, a pair of pants, color sky-blue, one white woolen shirt, and two pair woolen socks. Then we were marched to the armory, where each man received a musket, cartridge box, bayonet belt, haversack and water pouch.

You cannot imagine the vitreous indignation of all the 14th, when they found they were obliged to take old muskets worked over from flint locks to percussion locks. The 14th Regiment is composed of the best marks men of the State. If they had been armed with Enfield rifles, they would have been able to cope with twice their numbers."

And For the Confederate Guidelines. From Josh:

"As for CS, I have attached some guidlines we pulled from the 23d Virginia website, which if I remember correctly is part of Mr. Anders group. We shared some emails with their leadership and they were helpful. However, there was no clear documentation to say exactly what the 23d was clothed with during this campaign."

We edited the Confederate Guidelines compared to the original. We did this to make the Federal and Confederate Guidelines equivalent as far as the expectations.

We will be following up with additional information about the event. There are obviously several events between now and 2015. For now, we want to get these guidelines out early so anyone who plans to attend will know what to expect.

Please take a look at the attachment and let us know what you think. If there is additional documentation that would help us refine the standards, we are open to it. Obviously, if documented, we will incorporate them into the guidelines.

Thanks Everyone! We hope to see you in July of 2015!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 01-25-2014, 12:29 PM.
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: Corricks Ford - Uniform Guidelines

This is good information about the 14th's uniforms as well as a pleasant surprise. This means I don't have to buy a new uniform for CF next year. Anyway, I haven't spent a whole lot of time researching Ohio's three month state regiments (14th through the 22nd), but I know that at least two of them received gray jackets: the 15th and the 19th. Just based on that, I sort of figured that all nine regiments were issued gray jackets, but that's obviously not the case. BTW, in case anyone's interested, here's the description for the 19th's jacket, "15 June - Our regiment received the balance of their uniforms which consisted of gray jackets, made in military style, with the E Pluribus Unum buttons as trimming."

The 19th got the bulk of their issue on 9 June probably 6 weeks after the 14th. I wonder if the 14th was the only 3 month regiment to receive a standard issue.

Again, this is good info. I think it's time I contact the Paulding County Historical Society for their published transcription of those letters to the Paulding Independent.

Jim
    James Brenner

Comment

Working...
    X