Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WQ1865 - Registration is OPEN - Registration Packet attached HERE

Y'all:

Please find attached below the Winter Quarters, 1865 Registration Packet. Inside, you will find a packet which has the registration form, guidelines, and a waiver.

The Registration Fee is $35. This cost, while higher than other events, makes allowances for live fire ammunition and other event accommodations. Registration will be open until January 5, 2014, or until otherwise cut off by the organizers.Registration Packet.pdf

REGISTRATION IS ONLY BEING CONDUCTED BY MAIL.

1. SECURE a spot in one of the companies by contacting the COMPANY COMMANDER.
    2. Print off the packet, sign the waiver, fill out registration form.
    3. Hold on to the guidelines for your reference. Meet these.
    4. Mail waiver, registration form, and check or money order (made payable as indicated) to the address listed on the form.

Directions to the event site will be sent to company commanders closer to the event date.

When you show up, please be sure your cap box and cartridge box are both EMPTY. Any rounds necessary for the event will be issued.

Winter Quarters 1865 will take place on 60 acres of private farmland near the community of Collinsville, Mississippi, which lies about 15 miles northeast of Meridian.

The 27th Mississippi set up winter quarters in Tupelo in late December 1864 and stayed in them until January 18. Beyond that, research is conflicting: one source states that the regiment took a train from Tupelo to Meridian and stayed around Meridian until January 28, at which time it received a 15-day furlough, while another source describes receiving a furlough in Tupelo and reconvening in Meridian on February 12.

During the month of January, however, this much appears to be the case: The 27th Mississippi originally camped near the railroad in Tupelo, then moved west of west of town until January 19.

The quarters we will construct will reflect the temporary nature of this camp. Amos Jarman, of Co. K, describes such in his diary/memoir:

“The first night that we were at Tupelo, we camped east of the railroad, but next day we moved west of town and went into camp, where it was said we would go into winter quarters and rest and recruit up. But, Company K was tired and determined not to do any more work than absolutely necessary for comfort. So we split a large poplar log and turned the halves up edge-way and stretched out Yankee dog-tents over it and filled up with leaves to make a bed, and just had a camp fire in front.” (Col. Charles W. L. Hall, Plowshares to Bayonets…In the Defense of the Heartland, pp. 147-50)

At the event, we will build quarters, drill, and partake in range estimation drills and target practice. We will endeavor to stay warm. Men with loving families may receive packages from none-too-distant homes. There will be a short (1.7 mile) march in to the event site. Tents, tools, mess equipment, and extra blankets will be delivered by wagon to the site, if you choose to not carry those items in. Rations will be issued; cooking will be done by company, unless otherwise announced.

Herb Coats will represent Captain Pegg, commanding the 27th Mississippi. Company commanders are as follows:

Brian Hicks Co. B, the "Rosin Heels"
    Patrick Landrum, Co. C, the “Fredonia Hards”
    Andrew Jerram, Co. E, the "Leake Rovers"
    Whit Barr Co. K, the “Enfield Riflemen”

Event Command, Staff, Sutler, and Non-Military positions are limited and by invitation only.

Event Participants is capped at 100 Men, MAX. These were late-war companies who had fought through the Atlanta and Nashville campaigns, with as few as ten men in them. Maximum company size is 20, with the exception of the Color Company, which will supply a color guard.

Event Guidelines will be strictly enforced by the event site hosts. It goes without saying that all garments must feature 1865-correct fabric, cut, and construction techniques.Tobacco, if consumed, must be in 1860s form.

Also, because LIVE FIRE will be a part of this event, bring an unfailingly clean .58 Caliber rifle-musket in complete working order. This includes a FUNCTIONING half-cock. All weapons must be able to pass a full inspection. Each participant must familiarize himself with the steps of Loading in Nine Times as delineated by Hardee’s 1862 (Revised) Manual. Be advised: unsafe behavior may lead to expulsion from the event. Govern yourself accordingly.

REGISTRATION PACKET HERE -->Registration Packet.pdf
    Brian Hicks' Co. B, "Rosin Heels"
    27.27%
    Patrick Landrum's Co. C, "Fredonia Hards"
    40.91%
    Andrew Jerram's Co. E, "Leake Rovers"
    0.00%
    Whit Barr's Co. K, "Enfield Riflemen"
    9.09%
    Event Command/Staff/Sutler/Non-military
    22.73%
    Last edited by GenuineInformation; 10-08-2014, 11:10 AM.
    Joe Knight

Armory Guards
    Yocona Rip Raps
    "Semper Tyrannis."

Re: WQ1865 - Registration is OPEN - Registration Packet attached HERE

I know that Joe, Dustin, Dennie, and company have been working hard with the research and event plan. I'll be there, how about you?

This section needs to be read multiple times: "Also, because LIVE FIRE will be a part of this event, bring an unfailingly clean .58 Caliber rifle-musket in complete working order. This includes a FUNCTIONING half-cock. All weapons must be able to pass a full inspection. Each participant must familiarize himself with the steps of Loading in Nine Times as delineated by Hardee’s 1862 (Revised) Manual. Be advised: unsafe behavior may lead to expulsion from the event. Govern yourself accordingly."

Let this part sink in folks.
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

While I can't make this event, I admire the ambitious nature of it. Great stuff, boys!
      Ivan Ingraham
      AC Moderator

Comment

While doing some research recently I found a very interesting memoir written by Louis J. Frederic, who served in Company L of the 27th Mississippi Infantry. It was published in the Times-Picayune o…
        Dean Burchfield
        [B][FONT="Century Gothic"]WIG [I]The Old Guard[/I][/FONT][/B]
        Cleburnes
        Hard Case Boys
        Green Bottle Mess

[I][U]PM Joseph Warren #71 F & AM [/U][/I]

Un soldat sera long et dur combat pour un peu de ruban de couleur.
        Napoléon Bonaparte
        A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Comment

Great info, Dean. Also, for a whopping $3.99, you can purchase the electronic version of the diary/memoir of Roberto Amos Jarman:

More 27th Mississippi stuff.
          Joe Knight

Armory Guards
          Yocona Rip Raps
          "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

All,

I did a site walk with Dustin Herr this past weekend. We settled on a nice spot where the camp will be laid out in the back corner of the property where modern intrusions are nil. There are plenty of sources of firewood in the area, but men depending on trees to string their flies should be prepared to cut poles (trees are scattered in the pasture and impassably thick along the creek).

Start getting excited, y'all!
            Joe Knight

Armory Guards
            Yocona Rip Raps
            "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

All bets are off... I just mailed off my registration.... "And there was not much rejoicing.." Also, I've got my dwelling charted out. Now, will it work when I get there in January?????
              Herb Coats
              Armory Guards &
              WIG

Comment

Joe,

Kills me to miss this, but only arriving back in Atlanta(from Australia) on the 22nd, with 3 younguns, 3 dogs, no wife, and all our worldy possessions, just don't think I can get it together in time. Do you recommend the aforementioned book on Amazon?

Thanks!
                Trace Scalf
                D.W.(Trace)Scalf
                19th Alabama Infantry(Australia)
                [url]http://www.19thal.50webs.com/[/url]

“Power corrupts. Knowledge is power. Study hard. Be evil.”

"Only the dead have seen the end of War".
                George Santayana

Comment

Working...
                X