Advance On Fort Henry AAR's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advance On Fort Henry AAR's

I want to thank everyone that made it to Henry this weekend. As I was sitting all alone and freezing Friday night at registration, I started to wonder if anyone was going to show up. Everyone knows an authentic doesn't let weather dictate their fun. After the sun set, folks started rolling in and by the end of registration we had formidable sized elements for both sides. I was happy to lead you Yanks through about eight miles of beautiful scenery (the last few being a bit rough). You guys made my weekend. As always, it was good to see the old friends, yet I made some new ones. Keep the hobby strong boys, we'll see you again soon.

I'm curious as to what others thought of the weekend. Fire away!
    Ken Cornett
    MESS NO.1
    Founding Member
    OHIO
    Mason Lodge #678, PM
    Need Rules?

Re: Advance On Fort Henry AAR's

I regret not being able to attend even though it is in my "backyard". Post those images so that I can enjoy it vicariously.
    Michael Semann
    AC Staff Member Emeritus.

Comment

Re: Advance On Fort Henry AAR's

To the participants, organizers, and staff:

First and foremost--to all the participants--you endured 17 degree temperatures on Friday night/Saturday morning and a 7 mile march to our static camp. That you all could accomplish the march in those conditions is a testament to your commitment--I hope you regard it as a badge of honor. Many of you drove a considerable distance to attend, and put a lot of work into putting together some spot on impressions. Thanks for putting your faith in me personally and in Mess No. 1 to deliver a good event--I just hope we lived up to your expectations. To the extent that there were failings, those are mine alone. To sum it up, your efforts really made the event what it was, and, as I said on Sunday morning, I really appreciate it.

To Eric Tipton, Ken Cornett, and Joe Liechty, and the rest of the guys from Mess No. 1 (Evan Zimmerman, Dave Wellerding, Craig Flick, and Scott Bierer)--thanks for the support, guidance, hard work, and "can-do" attitude. The work you guys put in, from planning, to registration, to parking, big stuff and small, made the event a success. In the end, I can't thank you enough.

To Daniel Girton, Matt Woodburn, and Craig Courtney--thanks for all of your work on the static camp and Saturday night's food. Your efforts were appreciated by everyone in attendance--the beef stew and hoe cakes turned out great and were a real treat after the march.

To Whit Barr and Eric Martin--thanks for agreeing to lead the CS contingent, with all the work that entailed. Thanks also for your help with the site visit; your input helped shape the event in a positive way. Knowing the CS forces were in good hands was a great relief to me.

To Scott Sheets and John Lawrence--thanks for your willingness to serve the event as our medical safety net. Your presence gave me peace of mind that we could take care of any medical needs that arose. You didn't have to agree to do that, and most folks didn't realize the extra effort it entailed.

To Chris Utley--thanks, ole pard, for sharing your tent on Saturday night. Good to be back in the field with you. Thanks especially for your work to put on the Saturday night devotional and Sunday morning church service.

To the Forest Service and Land Between the Lakes staff--thanks for quickly shepherding the application through the process, and for the flexibility in adjusting to our plans. The willingness to assist our group in utilizing LBL and Fort Henry is deeply appreciated.

To Brian Keith McCutchen, Ski Susan Witzofsky--thanks for your work in preparing the map study and talk about Fort Henry. Your Sunday morning talk was the perfect way to end the event. I'm sure you could have been doing a lot of other things on a Sunday morning and instead you took time away from church and family to help give us all a better understanding of Fort Henry. You put a lot of work into your presentation and, it's safe to say, it was appreciated by everyone there.

I'm sure I've forgotten to thank a number of folks for a hundred things--please don't think it wasn't appreciated. Organizing this event was a ton of work but it was a success because of all of the help received. Thanks again, and I'm truly humbled by your willingness to assist.

Until next time.

Mess No. 1

In memory of:

Jacob Donohoo--11th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry (US);
      John A. Ozment--1st Battalion, 16th Kentucky Cavalry/12 Kentucky Cavalry (US);
      Marshall Kennedy--1st Kentucky Infantry (CS)/Dortch's Battalion of Kentucky Cavalry (CS);
      Newton J. Bowland--3d Kentucky Infantry, CS;
      Thomas S. Marshall--10th Kentucky Cavalry, CS.

Comment

Working...
      X