78th New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78th New York

Here is a good link for the history of the 78th New York. More to come.

Nathan Hellwig
    AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
    "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Re: 78th New York

Thanks Holler. I just realized that I've got Lt. Col. von Hammerstein's AAR on my laptop at home. I need to remember to post it here later on.
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

That's an interesting summary; thanks for posting it! As an aside, the officer responsible for recruiting Companies A, B and C of the 78th in New York City, Dr. Samuel Mackenzie Elliott, M.D., is a pretty interesting guy. If anyone is interested, his Wikipedia page is a good read too. Elliot was mover and shaker in NYC politics and prominent Abolitionist, who was integral in forming the New York Militia regiment that became the 79th New York Volunteers. When the 79th went into Federal service in 1861, Elliot went along as their Lieutenant Colonel. He was very badly wounded at Bull Run when his horse was killed and rolled on him, which ended his active military service.
      Dave Schwartz,
      Company B, 79th NY Vols.
      (New York Highland Guard)

Comment

It says the regiment lost 133 men. How is that considered "depleted ranks" by Civil War standards?
        Clint Hathcock

Comment

Hypothetically, let's say the regiment had 800 men. 133 men would be about a 16% loss. We would need to know their total at their peak to get an accurate percentage though. But 133 is killed and wounded. "Depleted ranks" could also include those in hospital, those on leave, those whose enlistment had expired and they had gone home, deserters, those who had been discharged due to illness or being unfit for service etc. Lots of things can contribute to depleted ranks.
          Last edited by Michael Comer; 05-31-2016, 07:42 PM.
          Michael Comer
          one of the moderator guys

Comment

What Mike said. From just that bot of reading we do not know how many were hospitalized, in prison or maybe went into the VRC. Studying the Michigan brown books (the muster rolls in a book with less detail) I am always surprised at the number that say they went into the VRC or many other things which do not include wounds taking them out of the regiment.
            Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
            Civil War Digital Digest
            Sally Port Mess

Comment

Ok, the WIG has a great start up core for the 78th New York (recreated) at Wauhatchie. I know a few messes and groups are interested in falling in with us, and when they say "we're in", I'll update the battalion structure.

All in all, this is a GREAT group of guys, and I'm one again humbled at the response to putting this effort together!

Staff

Herb Coats – Lt. Colonel, commanding
              David Chastain – Sergeant Major
              Adam Clark – Battalion Clerk

Company A– Whit Barr, Middle Tennessee/WIG Old Guard

Company B – Michael Comer, Mid Westerners

Company C – Armory Guards, S.E.

Company D – William McKnight, 79th NY, Far West

Company E – Chris Burns, Possum Skinners Mess

Company F – 1st Minnesota

Company G – Liberty Rifles, Michael Clarke

Company H – Colin Zimmerman, Arsenal Guards

Company I – Jordan Roberts Red Clay Volunteers, Georgia/Florida

Company K – Nathan “Holler” Helwig, Hairy Nation Boys

There is a facebook page set up. I have thank Stephen Lunsford for gather a lion's share of the research for this unit. I'm lucky that Stephen is as big a fan of the 12th Corps as I am!

Last edited by Coatsy; 03-13-2017, 01:37 PM. Reason: Updates
              Herb Coats
              Armory Guards &
              WIG

Comment

Thank you Colonel Hammerstein! Huzzah for the 12th Corps! I fear we may have a battalion full of "generals" though I look forward to "a little kind of scrimmage.”
                Stephen Lunsford

Possum Skinners Mess/Tick Creek Troublemakers

150th Pickett's Mill May 2014-5th Kentucky
                150th Franklin (Carnton Plantation) November 2014-20th Tennessee
                150th Bentonville, March 2015-10th Iowa
                Pea Ridge Adjunct, September 2015-24th Missouri
                Blakeley Living History, April 2016-1st/3rd Missouri CS
                Picket Post, May 2016, Company C, 9th Tennessee "Creek Bank Mess"
                Lookout Mountain Living History, June 2017, 31st Iowa "Root Hog or Die"
                154th Chickamauga Living History, September 2017, Co. C, 23rd Tennessee
                Battle of Wauhatchie (Aka "Wet-hatchie"), Tennessee, October 27-28, 2017, 78th New York "12th Corps!!!"

Comment

We're all brigadiers from the top down Stephen! I've also been reading the Pfanz book dealing with Culps Hill and Cemetery Hill. There are some great accounts from Greene's Brigade during the night time attack on Culps Hill.

Seems like the 12th Corps men had their share of night battles.
                  Herb Coats
                  Armory Guards &
                  WIG

Comment

Did some more updating to the WIG's 78th New York facebook page.

Interested in falling in with "The Crew", feel free to send me a PM or email. We've got folks coming in from East Coats, West Coats, North, South, Both sides of the big scary river, and both sets of big scary mountains. I promise we aren't climbing any Bummers style hills. Maybe...

Herb Coats
                    Armory Guards &
                    WIG

Comment

The 40 Rounds page has been updated. The kit guidelines are there for everyone to see of course. Company commanders can tweak the company guidelines within the existing parameters.

After a great chat with Andrew Jerram, I'm stoked for the WIG's portion of the event. Without divulging a THING, this is an event that will be a one and done deal. Talk with your messmates NOW, plan work/family time accordingly, and be ready to sign on when registration opens around December 1.
                      Last edited by Coatsy; 11-21-2016, 12:46 PM.
                      Herb Coats
                      Armory Guards &
                      WIG

Comment

Gents, a message about the registration process for the WIG battalion has been sent to the company commanders. Expect to see some information on all of this from them very soon.

Thanks all.
                        Herb Coats
                        Armory Guards &
                        WIG

Comment

The 78th New York company commanders have an email in their inboxes regarding registration.

Thus it begins.
                          Herb Coats
                          Armory Guards &
                          WIG

Comment

The event website has recently been updated with these helpful links for researching Greene's New York Brigade http://www.40roundsevents.com/us-guidelines. Brief histories of the regiments, rosters and short bios of the regimental commanders.

Stephen Lunsford

Possum Skinners Mess/Tick Creek Troublemakers

150th Pickett's Mill May 2014-5th Kentucky
                            150th Franklin (Carnton Plantation) November 2014-20th Tennessee
                            150th Bentonville, March 2015-10th Iowa
                            Pea Ridge Adjunct, September 2015-24th Missouri
                            Blakeley Living History, April 2016-1st/3rd Missouri CS
                            Picket Post, May 2016, Company C, 9th Tennessee "Creek Bank Mess"
                            Lookout Mountain Living History, June 2017, 31st Iowa "Root Hog or Die"
                            154th Chickamauga Living History, September 2017, Co. C, 23rd Tennessee
                            Battle of Wauhatchie (Aka "Wet-hatchie"), Tennessee, October 27-28, 2017, 78th New York "12th Corps!!!"

Comment

Working...
                            X