• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lookout Mountain Living History/ Edmund B. Wylie 31st Iowa Company K

Dec. 2nd 1863
    Vicinity of Chantanooga, TENN.
    Dear Father
    ...I will not endeavor to write much about it only to tell you the part of the 1st Division Army Corps. (Well you will understand that I was not in the fight in person as I have before stated I am on detached service) but the 31st Iowa took a very active part. The 1st Division was one that made the charge on Lookout Mountain and captured quite a number of prisoners arms and artillery. My regiment lost four killed (one of Co.K) and several wounded. The Regt fought for six hours without being relieved. Moste of the men shot away 100 rounds. After Lookout was taken the Division took part in the fight at Missionary Ridge and at or near Ring Gold station. In the several fights the Regt lost in killed and wounded twenty men. As usual the Regt was very lucky it was in the thickest of the fight and lost but a few men. The 9th Iowa did not loose many...Last night the Division returned from the Battlefield and is now camped for a day or two near Chatanooga. We expect to move back 28 miles to Bridgeport on the Railroad. Until we camp some place I will not get the time to answer your letter. In the meantime let this excuse me.

Your affectionate son,

BURK

Edmund B. Wylie
    31st Iowa Company K
    Excerpt from Iowa Valor
    Steve Meyer
    Nathan Hellwig
    AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
    "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri
Working...
X