Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Returning to the Regiment - Federal Occupation of Beaufort March 3-5, 2017 (1863)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning to the Regiment - Federal Occupation of Beaufort March 3-5, 2017 (1863)

Returning to the Regiment – Federal Occupation of Beaufort, South Carolina March 3-5 2017 (March 1863)

Date: March 3-5 2017

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina at the historic Beaufort Arsenal

Scenario Time frame:
    Portraying March, 1863 The weekend will be March 3-5 of 2017. Friday afternoon- Sunday morning. Public hours can run from 8 until 6.

Impressions: Federal (various branches of service, primarily infantry), Civilian. See detailed scenario description, below.

Scenarios:
    The scenario will be men from different regiments returning from furlough, hospital, and new recruits who need to rejoin their respective regiments. They will be processed by the provost & quartermaster in the arsenal and receive transportation to their regiment from the naval detachment. This will allow fellows to create a unit specific impression based upon their interest of units stationed in the Department of the South in March of 1863.

Highlights include: Public interpretation throughout historic Beaufort, demonstrations, period sutler, medical displays, abolitionist schools, & oyster roasts from the commissary.

Details:
    In cooperation with the Beaufort History Museum, we will be hosting a living history in the city of Beaufort focusing on the Federal occupation, the Port Royal expedition, emancipation, and war along the Carolina/Georgia coast. We would like to bring approximately 25-35 or so living historians to Beaufort for a weekend. There, we would set up in the courtyard of the Beaufort Arsenal and under the covered portico. While there, we would talk about soldiers' life, the Port Royal Expedition, the Emancipation of African Americans, and subsequent operations between Charleston and Savannah. I feel confident that we could bring life to this time period and I can think of no better setting than the Beaufort Arsenal.

The premise of the event will be men from various 10th Corps regiments returning from furlough, hospital, or men who are new recruits to their regiment. On Saturday morning, men will disperse throughout Beaufort and then make their way back to the Arsenal to receive their orders from the local provost receiving officer. He will tell the men where their respective regiments is stationed at present and issue them orders for how they are to return to their regiment. The men will have to check in with the commissary officer in order to receive ration vouchers. Then go to the quartermaster/ordinance officer to re-receive their fire arms. Finally they will have to report to a naval officer to receive transportation orders. Paperwork will be the name of the game.

This scenario will allow men to choose from a host of different regiments that were in the 10th corps and develop a specific impression and unit research with their pards based upon their interests. A scenario of Beaufort in spring of 1863 also offers an ideal setting for civilians to interpret Northern abolitionist missionaries, freedmen, and naval personnel.

Throughout the day, everyone will be billeted in the Arsenal courtyard and will be doing either fatigue duties or interacting with the public visitors in a living history fashion. That evening we will have an oyster roast and time to enjoy the town.

Impression & Authenticity:
    While participants are to create their own unit impression for this event, they are still required to meet authenticity standards expected in a quality “authentic campaigner” event. All garments must adhere to the proper pattern/material/construction of the items of their physical impression. Individual choices such as forge cap vs. hat or fatigue blouse vs. frock are left to the individuals research on their respective unit. No anachronisms. The event coordinators reserve the right to correct any glaring impression errors.

Various regiments of the 10th Corps, Northern abolitionist missionaries, and naval detachments from the South Atlantic Blockade Squadron in the spring of 1863. Here is a list of units in the 10th Corps/Department of the South in March of 1863. Please consider researching one of these regiments and portraying either a soldier coming back from furlough, hospital, or a new recruit looking to join his regiment. If I left a unit out that you are aware of, please drop me a line. Once we have list of who is portraying what regiment/battery/or ships company, we will be able to begin the paperwork for the participants.

10th Corps Units
    3rd New Hampshire Infantry
    4th New Hampshire Infantry
    7th New Hampshire Infantry
    6th Connecticut Infantry
    7th Connecticut Infantry
    10th Connecticut Infantry
    52nd Pennsylvania Infantry
    76th Pennsylvania Infantry
    85th Pennsylvania Infantry
    97th Pennsylvania Infantry
    47th New York Infantry
    48th New York Infantry
    56th New York Infantry
    100th New York Infantry
    115th New York Infantry
    Independent Battalion of New York Volunteers
    1st New York Engineer Regiment
    39th Illinois Infantry
    62nd Ohio Infantry
    67th Ohio Infantry
    9th Maine Infantry Regiment
    11th Maine Infantry Regiment
    24th Massachusetts
    1st Massachusetts Cavalry Third Battalion (Companies I, K, L, and M)
    1st South Carolina Colored Infantry
    3rd Rhode Island Heavy Artillery
    1st U.S. Artillery, Battery B, C, E

South Atlantic Blockading Squadron Vessels
    Ironclads
    U.S.S. Montauk
    U.S.S. Nahant
    U.S.S. Catskill
    U.S.S. Passaic
    U.S.S. Patapsco
    U.S.S. New Ironsides
    Gunboats
    U.S.S. Canandaigua
    U.S.S. Mahaska
    U.S.S. Ottawa
    U.S.S. Wissahickon
    U.S.S. Dai Ching
    U.S.S. Lodona
    U.S.S. Seneca
    U.S. Marine Battalion Maj Jacob Zeilen

A registration fee of $12 will cover rations, firewood, & straw for bedding.

Thanks for your time, efforts, and support.
    Respectfully,
    Daniel Gidick
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 09-15-2016, 10:21 PM. Reason: Added Image.

Re: Returning to the Regiment - Federal Occupation of Beaufort March 3-5, 2017 (1863)

I'm in.

Red Turner
    John "Red' Turner

Comment

Re: Returning to the Regiment - Federal Occupation of Beaufort March 3-5, 2017 (1863)

I would like to attend this event. Just moved to SC from NH and have been looking for a Federal unit to fall in with.
      I would be interested in portraying a soldier from the 7th NH.
      I did not see a registration document, assuming it is not out yet?

Greg Henderson

Comment

I saw this event last year and, sadly, missed it...my parents retired from CT and moved to St. Helena Island in 2005 so I'm quite interested in trying to be able to do this. I have a Union impression (from when I was living in CT - standard AoP (specifically 27th CT)). Can I fall in with a US group for the weekend?

Thanks,
        Robert F. Wallace
        38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
        North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

...since I can't edit my original post, I'd be interested in portraying one of the Connecticut regiments above (6th, 7th or 10th) since that's where I'm from and my original unit was the 27th CT when I first started reenacting in '98.
          Robert F. Wallace
          North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

Sorry to be so antsy...just excited about doing this since I missed out last year, but any updates on this particular event (again, per my post above) interested in portraying one of the CT regiments since I'm originally from there!

Thanks and hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season!
            Robert F. Wallace
            North State Rifles

Comment

Gents,
              Thanks very much for your interest and support. We are looking forward to posting the registration information by the end of the month. It will be pretty straight forward : (Name, unit impression, etc. and a small fee for food and firewood.)
              Also, please feel free to message me via Facebook to have access to the event page. (Daniel Louis Gidick)
              I look forward to hosting everyone and pulling of a quality and unique event.
              Warmest Regards,
              Daniel Gidick

Comment

Greg,
                Sorry for the delayed response. We will be posting the registration information before the month is out here on the AC. Please spread the word and thanks for your help & support of the event.
                Regards,
                Daniel Gidick

Comment

REGISTRATION

Folks,
                  Please fill out the corresponding form and make your appropriate PayPal or mailed check payment. Please feel free to email me at dgidick@gamil.com if you have any questions.

Federal Occupation of Beaufort, South Carolina
                  March 3-5, 2017
                  Participant Registration

Please complete one form for each participant; see the bottom of the registration form for mailing instructions and registration fee information. Registration is $10.00 before February 28th, and $15.00 after. If you would like to enjoy and eat oysters on Saturday night there is an additional $10 payment. Any unused registration money will be donated to the Civil War Trust for battlefield preservation.

Name:

__________________________________________________ __

Mailing Address: __________________________________________________ __

E‐mail Address:

Telephone number:

Emergency Contact:

Emergency Contact Number:

Home Unit : __________________________________________________ __

Please select your impression:
                  ( ) Department of the South Brigade Staff
                  ( ) Federal Infantry or Artillery in the 10th Corps (see earlier posted list of units) --
                  Designation of Unit

( )Freedmen
                  ( ) Boston Educational Commission/Northern Civilians
                  ( ) South Atlantic Blockade Squadron Naval detachment

Will you be joining us in our oyster roast?
                  ( ) YES PLEASE
                  ( ) NO THANKS

Will you be parking a car?
                  ( ) YES
                  ( ) NO, I'LL CAR POOL

ON‐SITE CHECK IN WILL OPEN AT NOON ON FRIDAY MARCH 3RD. PARKING WILL BE JUST TWO CITY BLOCKS AWAY WITH A CHANCE TO DROP OFF IN FRONT OF THE ARSENAL.

Please email your completed registration form to dgidick@gmail.com . If you are using PayPal, please email the registration form with a subject line of BEAUFORT. Please make your payment via PayPal to the same email address. If you would prefer to use the mail please send along a check or money order made payable to DANIEL GIDICK to: Daniel Gidick 3225 Hydrangea Trail Johns Island SC 29455. Please make sure to include your name (as registered) or the names of the people you are paying for in the comments section of the payment.

Comment

Done! Looking forward to this event.
                    Greg Henderson
                    5th NHV

Comment

Ditto...looking forward to portraying a CT Regiment again!

Thanks,
                      Robert
                      Robert F. Wallace
                      North State Rifles

Comment

Do y'all have Sutlers ? And if so is there room for one more Lacy Cohee 😃
                        Lacy Cohee

Comment

Working...
                        X