84th Illinois Stones River Living History Hosted by the Hairy Nation Boys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 84th Illinois Stones River Living History Hosted by the Hairy Nation Boys

The Hairy Nation Boys are proud to announce a living history at Stones River National Battlefield - October 5-7, 2018.

Our impression will be 84th Illinois infantry.

Captain Eric Fair
    1st Lt Lemuel Ellington
    2nd Lt Archibald Campbell
    Orderly Sgt James Donaldson (Bob Welch)
    2nd Sgt Harrison Holloway

More information will come. We hope to have a large company!
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 01-07-2018, 11:49 AM.
    Nathan Hellwig
    AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
    "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Re: 84th Illinois Stones River Living History Hosted by the Hairy Nation Boys

This will be a research-driven event, as there are multiple primary documents available on the 84th. I have a pretty substantial amount of research on Company C, 84th Illinois, that I will be sharing as we move forward. The vast majority of the information is gleaned from the pages of the newspapers from Macomb, Illinois, where the company originated. If anyone is interested in a social history of the area and events going on at home, feel free to visit my newspaper blog on Macomb, Illinois, the home of the original company.

- - - Updated - - -

Macomb Journal
    July 4, 1862
    For the War.
    On Tuesday last, the company lately formed by Mr. Ervin of this city, took its departure for Camp Butler, where it will remain until the regiment is formed, when it will go to Annapolis, Maryland, to the great Camp of Instruction. Before the company left it was presented with a splendid flag by Alex. Blackburn, Esq., which was received by the company with the three hearty cheers for the patriotic donor. Rev. R. Harris on behalf of the Ladies Aid Society, presented each member of the company a needle cushion and accompanied the gift with a few appropriate remarks. A large crowd of citizens went to the depot to bid the brave boys farewell, and wish them a hearty God speed in their glorious mission.
    Thus it is that old McDonough responds to the country’s call. Already her sons have been represented in many a bloody field, and yet she is willing and able to make other sacrifices – to send forth more of her brave ones to uphold the glorious flag of the Union, and if need be lay down their lives in its defence.
    Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
    My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

This sounds like fun
      John Spain
      4th Tennessee / 25th Indiana

sigpic
      "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Comment

Hoo boy -- I thought this was the weekend after Lookout Mountain and I would either have to choose or ask for more vacation time to attend both! Now I see it's a whole nother year away. Something to plan for! In the meantime, I'm still on the fence for Summer 2017 as I have two birthday parties in June -- mother mother's 90th in Nebraska and my father-in-law's 90th in North Carolina. Wish me luck in getting it all sorted out.
        Paul Hadley

Comment

Stones River is June 2018.
          Nathan Hellwig
          "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

I'm ready. Count me in. Looking forward to it.
            Barry Dusel

In memory: Wm. Stanley, 6th PA Cav. Ernst C. Braun, 9th PA. Cav. John E. Brown & Edwin C. Brown, 23rd PVI

Comment

I'll be rere as usual/ No Iowa Unit??????????

Night Picket in The Round Forrest in 1989 stones river4pg.jpg
              John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
              The Hard Head Mess
              The Old Northwest Volunteers
              5th Kentucky Vol's (Thomas' Mudsills)

Company of Military Historians
              Civil War Battlefield Preservation
              Sons of American Revolution
              Sons of Union Veterans

http://www.cwuniforms.net

Ancestors:

Pvt. John Wedeward, Co. A, 42 Illinois Vol. Infantry
              Cpl. Arnold Rader, Co. C, 46th Illinois Vol. Infantry
              Brigadier Gen. John Fellows, 21st Continental Regiment

Comment

There weren't any Iowa regiments there. And contrary to popular belief I have no issues portraying other states.

- - - Updated - - -

We are currently working on the scenario for the weekend. We will post the guidelines and registration information at the end of July.
                Happy 4th everyone!
                Nathan Hellwig

Comment

Well, why not.
                  Patrick Landrum
                  Independent Rifles

Comment

Working...
                  X