Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7th Texas at Raymond -- **UPDATE**

Friends,
    I apologize for the lack of updates on this page recently. My grandfather has been battling cancer in his neck and we received word this week that we have an optimistic path to surgery. The lack of posts has been entirely my fault and for that, I apologize to everyone.
    Now, on to the information that pertains to you. Progress has been made to this effort that will directly impact the participants and, hopefully, bring more interest to the effort.
    First, your rations have been meticulously researched and will be provided by Douglas Watkins. These will be properly prepared and crated according to the accounts which Gregg's column describe. They will also be hauled in a wagon provided by Hunter Kramer and a team.
    Your Friday night campsite has been scouted out and looks to be a phenomenal place to stage the column before we march out for downtown Raymond. We are extremely excited about the remoteness of this location as a solid way to set the tone of the event.
    I have also decided to take a few notes from the recent "Valley of Death" at Franklin event hosted by Patrick Landrum and the Independent Rifles. Since this will be a "mobile living history," I felt the need to include a portion of the "mobile classroom" concept that brought a more personal touch to the event. We will read first hand accounts from specific points of the battlefield -- from both the Union and Confederate perspectives -- to give attendees a better understanding of the carnage that raged south of a small Mississippi town.
    Lastly, I have also decided to host a raffle of our own for the event. All donations for the raffle will go to the Raymond Battlefield Trust. The first item that has been offered up for the raffle is a custom Deep South Depot jacket made by Andrew J. Kasmar. Jordan Harrell and myself are working on other items to include on the raffle and I will be sure to update that list as soon as possible.
    We currently have 53 folks registered for the event! Make sure you check to see if your friends are registered, and if not, get them to do it! We also have stellar bully buy offers from Avery Miller, Brian Merrick, and Cody Mobley. There are plenty of stellar events coming down the pipe for 2019 (especially in May), but don't overlook this major living history and preservation effort in the West!!
    More info to come...

Most respectfully yours,

Sam Galyon
    Trans-Miss Hellcats

"Like True Badgers" -- 4th Wisconsin @ 155th Port Hudson

Re: 7th Texas at Raymond -- **UPDATE**

**Raffle Update**

Exciting news, gents!

We have several unique items up for raffle at the event in May! (Many thanks to Justin Morris and Patrick Landrum for the inspiration.) They are as follows:

1) A custom made Deep South Depot jacket by Andrew J. Kasmar of "Not One Stitch Back." Easily used for Missionary Ridge or your AoT kit!

2) A stellar Texas-inspired bowtie by Jeff Williams!

3) A custom cap by Avery Miller of Goober Grabber Headwear!

4) Cary A. Davisson has offered one of his leather products. More information coming soon!

5) Jordan Harrell has offered an original copy of Casey's Infantry Tactics, Vol. I!

6) Lee White has offered a signed copy of his new book on the Battle of Franklin!

Raffle tickets will be sold at $5 a pop. All the money raised from the raffle will go to helping preserve and maintain the Raymond Battlefield Park. In order to claim your winnings, you must be registered and present at the event! Winners will be drawn at the conclusion of the event on site.

We are also excited to announce that Lee White is working to join us for the event and will reprise his role as a "tour guide" participant for the event.

So, you may be asking; "how do I register?!" Here is the link to do just that!

Please use this form to register for the May 10-12, 2019 event at the Raymond Military Park. Please register using your real name.

Please fill it out and send $25 via PayPal to: stonewall421@gmail.com. We look forward to seeing you all at Raymond!
    Last edited by Sam Galyon; 12-28-2018, 08:47 PM.
    Most respectfully yours,

Sam Galyon
    Trans-Miss Hellcats

Comment

**UPDATE**

"Sunday, May 10th - Move your brigade promptly to Raymond, taking three days' rations, and carrying only cooking utensils and ammunition; no baggage."

Friends, thanks to the diligent work of Mr. Hunter Kramer, the Trans-Miss Hellcats have secured a wagon to cart your rations from the Friday to Saturday night campsites for our 7th Texas at Raymond event -- "They Didn't Scare Worth a Cent." This comes from the reports of Generals Gregg and Pemberton (quoted above).

Our brothers in the Independent Rifles and Patrick Landrum have offered to let us borrow their company cooking implements. Many thanks to them for working with us on that addition. You will have a one of kind opportunity to experience what it was like to be a member of the 7th Texas on the actual ground as they camped along Fourteen Mile Creek in May 1863.

"At five o'clock Monday morning we were ordered under arms without a moment's preparation, and had to start without cooked rations. Many of us left our clothing, thinking that we were only going to move to a more suitable camping-ground, and were not a little surprised when, after marching through Jackson in column of platoons, we turned our faces westward, and it leaked out that we were going to attack the enemy."

Most respectfully yours,

Sam Galyon
      Trans-Miss Hellcats

Comment

Gentlemen!!

Quick update on the raffle, event update, and on registration!

First off, the cutoff to register for this event has been set for Monday, May 6!! If your friends are still sitting on the fence about this one, time to pull them over and get them registered! The list has been updated as of 12:30 pm this afternoon.

Second, we have added a few more items to the raffle!

Ross Lamoreaux has graciously offered a handsewn CS issue or civilian shirt of the winner's choosing. He will be present at the event to take measurements and get your preference!

Jeff Williams has produced a stamp to create a custom "7th Texas" bowtie for the raffle!

Remember, raffle tickets are $5 a piece and can be submitted at any time. All raffle dollars will go directly to the Friends of Raymond to assist in maintaining the battlefield and placing new interpretive panels.

Lastly, Lee White of Chickamauga National Military Park is planning to attend and will reprise his role from "Valley of Death" -- Franklin LH as the regimental interpreter. We are excited to have Lee attending the event and look forward to presenting y'all with a new look at Raymond!!

Most respectfully yours,

Sam Galyon
        Trans-Miss Hellcats

Comment

Working...
        X