Resaca Driving Tour of Historical Markers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resaca Driving Tour of Historical Markers

This post isn’t about Mission Ridge, but does belong here. Events aren’t just about what happens at the events. With many sites and eateries along the way, the road trip can be just as good as an event. If you're driving from Atlanta on I-75, you're driving right through the Resaca battlefield. You need to get off the interstate and take a look.

Resaca has always been one of those places to see next time, as in, “I don’t have time today. I’ll stop on the way out.” And then I don’t. I have gotten off the interstate at the Flying J truck stop to view the large field identified as the Resaca Battlefield Historic site. Knowing little about this battle, I was looking at yet another beautiful, large field where something happened that I just can’t visualize. And then get back in the vehicle and move along.

This time will be different.

For the last couple months, I’ve scoured the internet for information from the historical markers in and around Resaca. I’ve created a list of markers grouped by area and placed their locations on some newly made maps. Text from the markers has been dropped into the this driving tour. You don't have to stop at every marker, but a passenger can read what the marker says without stopping. In typical lawyer fashion, the document is long and thorough. The maps make for an easy driving tour.

If you stop for only one thing - which you should - go to the site of Van Den Corput's Cherokee Battery. Although this is a driving tour about markers, there’s no marker at this site. I have included coordinates to find the specific location of the battery with instructions how to get there. If you don’t know the story of Van Den Corput’s Cherokee Battery, you need to. The valor shown here launched a successful presidential campaign. It's a great story.

File is in pdf format. It’s 24 pages with many pictures. Download it to a tablet for easy review or kill a tree by printing it.

UPDATE : VIEW THE ATTACHED FILE IDENTIFIED AS UPDATED. It's the attached file with the longer name which is easier to see.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Silas; 11-02-2019, 10:11 AM.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Re: Resaca Driving Tour of Historical Markers

Quick link to info about Van Den Corput's Cherokee Battery and future president, Benjamin Harrison :

The maps on the American Battlefield Trust's site are very good for the scale. They show two full armies squaring off on one battlefield. Identifications go down to brigade level.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Thank you Col for this map. I am from Ga.and will sure put this to good use and visit.
      Pvt. Michael Godwin
      CoG 26NCT

Comment

Thank you for this, Silas.
        I've been to Resaca enough that it's a wonder they don't send me a property tax each year, but did not know of this.
        Glad to see it.

I appreciate it.

Mark
        J. Mark Choate
        7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Hi,

Van den Corput's battery is only accessible at this time by crossing over private property. You MUST HAVE permission prior to crossing his property to the battery. It is literally in his backyard and he does not want strangers constantly in his yard or own his property. We can all understand his view on that. He doesn't even want people walking up to the door to ask permission. I just don't want any of you getting into trouble thinking you can walk right to it. That is not true.

Also, there is a great new book about the fight for the four guns there - "They All Wore a Star: In the Fight for the Four-Gun Battery During the Battle of Resaca, Georgia, May 15, 1864" Another great reference for the battle of Resaca is - " Battle of Resaca" by Phil Secrist.

The battlefield park is open to the public - Fri -Sun. It is the site for the first day battle and the failed Cox/Judah attack that cost Judah his command. Please visit us at the park. But, understand the battery isn't accessible to the public without prior permission.

Thanks!
          Jerry Holmes
          28th GA. Inf
          65th GA. Inf (GGG-Grandfather)

Comment

Working...
          X