Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April 24 hike

Folks,

It looks like we'll (Company I Mess and Indian Queen Mess) have a one-day eight-mile Wake Up The Bears hike near Gouldsboro in the Poconos in northeastern Pennsylvania on April 24, the Saturday before the Into the Wilderness event.

It's the same deal as last time, with two wrinkles:
    -- The route will be a loop, so we end up where we started.
    -- One mile will be cross-country, no roads, using a compass and bugle to keep a skirmish line going in the right direction. (Yes, some of us will know where we are, so we won't get seriously lost even though we've got 27,000 acres to bounce around in.)

More than half of our route is banned to autos. The other part is used by autos, but it is a dirt road through state game lands and the only people using it will be trout fishermen.

Other items of interest:
    -- Bring your own rations, we'll stop for lunch and cook them up.
    -- Don't really care what uniform is worn or whether it is top-quality. This "event" is a pre-season preparatory thing, like a Thursday drill for a football team, we're wearing pads but not our game uniforms. We're practicing.
    -- Anyone who wants to learn more about how to function as an 186x military unit is welcome to attend. We are specifically holding out a hand to anyone who wants to get started on a more history-intensive phase of reenacting, so if you are a campaigner and know of someone who is interested but unsure, by all means direct their attention to this. We cover a great many of the fieldcraft skills in the course of the day.
    -- Our rest halts will be marked by refresher sessions on basic drill.
    -- Step off at 9 a.m. and be back to the vehicles by dusk.
    -- No black powder.
    -- No alcohol.
    -- No fee.
    -- No portajohns, so bring toilet paper.
    -- We'll function as if in the presence of the enemy at all times, and we'll function as the point company assigned to skirmish for a larger advance guard formation coming up in our immediate rear.

Anyone interested should please send me an email so I can get a 2004 Wake Up The Bears list organized. Detailed directions and whatnot will be sent along later, but for general planning this is near Gouldsboro on Interstate 380 in northeastern Pennsylvania. Our parking area is about two tenths of a mile off the Interstate, so there's no fumbling around with unmarked local roads or anything.

Hope to hear from some of you.

If the provosts need to move this to another forum, that's of course fine, but I figured given the limited and ephemeral nature of the "event" that this would do.

wjwatson@ptdprolog.net
    Bill Watson
    Stroudsburg
Working...
X