Shiloh Expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shiloh Expansion

Shiloh NMP is being expanded to include Fallen Timbers, Davis Bridge, and the Russell House:

Trump Signs New Law Expanding Shiloh National Military Park

U.S. Senators Lamar Alexander and Marsha Blackburn said legislation signed Tuesday by President Trump will expand Shiloh National Military Park in Shiloh, which they said will help attract more visitors to Tennessee, boost local economies, and protect the site for future generations. It designates battlefields at Davis Bridge, Fallen Timbers, and Russell House as part of the park.

“I am glad this legislation became law today because learning from the past helps us become better Americans in the future, and preserving and protecting these sites will allow future generations to learn their history by walking these fields,” Alexander said Tuesday. “Expanding the park will also provide an opportunity to attract more visitors to Tennessee and boost local economies.”

“Expanding Shiloh National Military Park and giving these sites the resources needed for their upkeep is a crucial part of maintaining Tennessee’s military history,” Blackburn said. “I look forward to seeing our National Park System grow in Tennessee.”

Alexander and Blackburn, both Tennessee Republicans, introduced the Shiloh National Military Park Boundary Adjustment and Parker’s Crossroads Battlefield Designation Act on Jan. 16.

The legislation, which was included in the John D. Dingell, Jr. Conservation, Management, and Recreation Act, passed the Senate on Feb. 12 by a vote of 92-8.

The House of Representatives passed the legislation on Feb. 26 by a vote of 363 to 62. Alexander is a cosponsor of the John D. Dingell, Jr. Conservation, Management, and Recreation Act.

The Shiloh National Military Park Boundary Adjustment and Parker’s Crossroads Battlefield Designation Act designates battlefields at Davis Bridge and Fallen Timbers in Tennessee, and Russell House in Tennessee and Mississippi, as part of Shiloh National Military Park. The legislation also designates Parker’s Crossroads as an affiliated area of the National Park System.

The National Park Service has already determined that these battlefields are nationally significant and in need of preservation and protection. The majority of the land included in this legislation is currently owned by the State of Tennessee and the Civil War Trust.

Alexander and Blackburn also introduced the Shiloh National Military Park Boundary Adjustment and Parker’s Crossroads Battlefield Designation Act last Congress.

READ THE ORIGINAL ARTICLE AT THE COURIER
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 03-16-2019, 07:39 PM.
    Todd Wilber

“When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”
    --Desiderius Erasmus

SUVCW Member
Working...
X