Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Support The Central Virginia Battlefields Trust

Please Support The Central Virginia Battlefields Trust

At the conclusion of the Warlike Along the Rapidan Event, Seth Hancock and I were fortunate enough to be invited by Rob Hodge to a tour of a portion of the Spotslvania Battlefield that was purchased by the Central Virginia Battlefields Trust. This particular site contained original earthworks. Also attending the tour were Eric Mink, Anthony Monson, Beth Parnicza and Paul Scott, the Partnership/Outreach Representative from the Central Virginia Battlefields Trust. It was a wonderful afternoon, expecially since this was my first visit to the Battle of Spotsylvania. What better way to spend it than with fellow preservationists?

Paul had a booth set up at the Warlike registration and we took a few minutes to look at some original swords he brought to the event. After our battlefield tour, we went to dinner for Cinco de Mayo, at an excellent Mexican Restaurant just outside of Fredericksburg to discuss the Civil War, preservation and various other topics.

After having the opportunity to meet Paul and listen to his passion for preservation, I wanted to share some information about the CVBT and their mission to save battlefields in Virginia. With all of the development in and around Washington DC, it is ground zero to be preserved.

Here is Their Mission Statement from the Web Site:

Central Virginia Battlefield Trust (CVBT) was formed. A group of concerned citizens in the Fredericksburg Virginia area decided it was time to stand up to the senseless destruction of our heritage and to form a historic lands trust. The Central Virginia Battlefields Trust (CVBT) was incorporated in 1996 and adopted as its mission the preservation of historic battlefield terrain.

Our motto became “dirt and grass.” Since then, we have helped to preserve more than 1,200 acres of critical ground on the battlefields of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, The Wilderness, and Spotsylvania Court House as well as Brandy Station.

​In addition to purchasing land, our mission includes advocacy for battlefield preservation. At the state and federal levels, advocacy is relatively impersonal. At the local level, advocacy unfolds in a manner much more personal, and therefore can become more confrontational. Consequently, CVBT decided early on to work i cooperation with local governments rather than in opposition to them. Over the years, we have joined in partnership with developers, preservation organizations, and local governments on several projects. We are proud of the solutions that have preserved selected ground.

CVBT remains proactive, with several ongoing projects and negotiations, and with a continuing focus on, and commitment to, our mission of battlefield preservation.

CLICK HERE TO TO VISIT THEIR WEB SITE

CLICK HERE TO FOLLOW THEM ON FACEBOOK
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner
Working...
X