Things like this keep me going.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things like this keep me going.....

Received this today. I admire his effort and passion. He will make a difference.

Mike,
    My name is ********. I live in Arizona (for now Im moving to PA in December) I broke my back in 6 places almost 2 yrs ago and as a result I am unable to work. I have been feeling fustrated that I have not been able to personally donate any money for preservation. This cause really is close to my heart.I brought up the CWPT at our SCV meeting and our camp made a small donation.I want to do more though. I contacted the CWPT and asked how I could help. Since I am unable to work I unfortuneately have a lot of time so I asked if there was a way that I could collect funds to the CWPT. They were nice enough to send me a large package filled with copies of their magizine, some fliers, one in particular pertains to the purchace of the .07 acres of land in Gettysburg bordering the site where the new center is going to be located.

I see what people like Daly, and others are doing as far as donating items that they make so that the proceeds can go to preservation.I make Civil War tack and accoutrements, mainly cavalry. Everything I do is 100% by hand and I take a lot of care and pride in it. I wish I could donate some of my items to the cause but I know that no one knows me from Adam so without people knowing the the quality of my work and the fact that I am not a vendor, I would not expect anyone to buy them although I have been told my everyone that has bought or seen my work that the quality is very high.When I move to PA, I plan on spending a LOT of time doing more and more research on the items I make so I can assure the authenticity is as high as possible. I have taken great pains to make the most accurate items I can but I know that the more research you do the better the outcome is going to be. Hopefully in the future I will be able to provide items to help out.

My question is this... Here in Arizona it is hard to get people to understand the importance of preservation,I dont know if they just done care or if they are just so darn far removed that they just cant see it.Whatever the reason is I have had a rough time raising money but Im not going to give up. I have told everyone that I know that 100% of any money I make on repairs of tack or any other leather items are going to go straight to the CWPT. I have had some interest but no one has followed through yet. I am very passionate about this, not just preservation but our nations history, living history, reenacting, everything. I try to show how exciting our history truly is and how important it is to remember it and learn from it and that the cause and principals that our ancestors both north and south fought and died for need to be remembered.

Do you have any advise that might help Me raise some money for this?I live 10 minutes from Tombstone and I talked to several merchants there about the possibility of setting up a display table for the CWPT. I have had very good responces to this idea and I can get a permit from the city hall. Do you think that this is a good idea? There are thousands of tourists there every day? If so do you have any recommendations on how to be as effective as possible? As I said before, right now my financial situation does not make it posible to donate money right now, but I want to help anyway.I will really fight for this if I had a clue how to do it. I see all you do and I really admire all you do, we are indeed very indebted to you and the efforts you put forth.

Mike, if you have any ideas how I can help please let me know ok?
    Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred
Working...
X