This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting Input: When do you shop?

I was just wondering, for those of you that don't make your own gear, when you prefer to shop or visit the sutlers at an event. Your input is greatly appreciated!!!

- Friday night, before things get started
    - Sunday, when everything is done
    - During downtime throughout the weekend
    - I don't visit sutlers, it ruins my "moment"
    - I buy online/mail order before an event
    - I generally have everything I need

I'm sure there are a million other variables that could be added here, but I wanted to keep it simple for now.
    Friday night before things kick off!
    18.81%
    On Sunday when everything is over
    0.50%
    During down time throughout the weekend
    50.99%
    I don't visit sutlers, it ruins my 'moment'
    0.50%
    I buy online or through the mail before events
    26.24%
    I have everything I need and I don't need anymore!!!
    2.97%
    Bill Lomas

[B][SIZE="4"][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]E. J. Thomas Mercantile[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
    [FONT="Century Gothic"]P.O. Box 332
    Hatboro, PA 19040
    [URL="http://www.ejtmercantile.com"]www.ejtmercantile.com[/URL]
    [email]info@ejtmercantile.com[/email][/FONT]

Re: When do you shop?

I browse casually during down time thoughout the event. My reasoning behind that is this: I generally do not go to an event in NEED of something. Sometimes there is a WANT....and I may be thinking about a particular item and look to see if they have one I can analyse, expecially with a large/major item like jackets, coats, overcoats, etc. Also, I find that this is a great time to discover small detail pieces (such as pipes, tin containers, period bottles, pocket knives, gun cleaning equipment, etc) that you hadn't thought about before but makes your kit much better/practical.
    Luke Gilly
    Breckinridge Greys
    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

I hate to shop "for the event" while I'm "at the event", so I work hard to be sure I have what I need before I step on-site. That's just too much stress, which is why I do most of my buying on-line/phone/mail. But, when I "shop at an event" its usually for something I need for a later event, or for that "thing I never new I needed".

HOWEVER, anytime I attend an event that will have quality vendors, I'm always sure to do some shopping to see what's out there, with future events in-mind. Events like "High Tide", where you have a selection of the best vendors available, are rare for me. These give you the chance to see and touch an item and try it on for fit, before making a purchase. So, I like to be prepared when the opportunity presents itself.
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Bill,

Great poll, and I'll be interested to see the answers as well. From my experience unless the event has been very immersion oriented and the participants have been kept away from the vendors all weekend, Sunday after noon is a bust...they might as well let vendors leave then. On the other hand I heard stories from Summer of '62 where one vendor stayed behind to be set up Sunday and he cleared 80% of his sales after the event had technically ended.

If it is going to be an immersion event or at the very least they're going to keep the participants away for the bulk of the weekend it pays to have your stuff out and ready to go by 7:00 AM Friday at the LATEST. The first big event Brian and I set up at we couldn't get our things out of the containers fast enough and people were grabbing up items hand over fist...we sold out of civilian shirts before noon!

The bottom line is that it is well worth a half hour of a vendor's time before the event to familiarize themselves with what exactly the plan for the participants will be over the course of the weekend. If it's an immersion event, you'll likely only be set up for at most 12 hours on Friday and then heading home. If it's a "carpe-eventum" you can expect some good sales Friday with the campaigners then marching off, and the rest of the weekend you'll have to deal with the slack-jawed stares and the "why does this cost so much" questions.

Sutlering is like a military operation. You have to recon, formulate a plan of attack, then assault relentlessly as long as you can, and of course know when to pull out!

Just a few musings for a Friday morning. :)

Best,

Dan
        Dan Wambaugh
        Wambaugh, White, & Company
        www.wwandcompany.com
        517-303-3609
        Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

I voted for "During downtime throughout the weekend" even if in fact, I buy all the time, especially at the moment with the favorable change € vs $ :) :) :)
          William Miconnet
          French Mess
          AES
          BGR & IPW Survivor
          Never ever give up!
          In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
          I believe!

Comment

Regretfully, the last event that I attended that had some of our good quality vendors set up was Corinth several years ago. Most events I've attended since coming over to the Campaigner side of the hobby has not had authentic vendors there. I would personally love to make a few events where some of our fine vendors are, to get to meet them and also to browse their wares and make some purchases of those things you just want to hold in your hand and examine before you buy. I do all of my shopping online at this current time.

Justin
            [B]Justin Morris[/B]
            [B]Independent Rifles[/B]
            "And All of Hell Followed"

Shiloh, IR Confederate Campaigner Adjunct Battalion, Cleburne's Division, March 30 to April 1, 2012

Comment

At most events, particularly maimstream, most of the Sutlers do not have anything of interest to me , but I browse once at downtime and occassionally find a small item , tin wear etc that I otherwise would not have come across. Also you get to see some of the mail order product of these vendors
              Bob Hutton:)

14th NC "Wild Cats"

Comment

All-

I voted for "mail-order before event only". I like discussing my buy via e-mail/phone with the vendor that will make the item on a personal level to ensure what I get will be what I want.

If I go to a mainstream event (rarely anymore) then I try to stay away from muleskinner row to preserve as much of the moment as possible, which is difficult to do at these kinds of events. Besides, if I need something, I know what I want and from whom to get it now.

My recent exception to the above rule-of-thumb was when I attended "At High Tide" and I did go to sutler row there, mostly because I actually wanted to meet some of the vendors myself: Nick Duvall, Brother John Crabb, and the "New-Jersey-Sutler-that-shall-remain-nameless-on-this-website-forevermore".

Also, there were so many quality items I wanted to see myself since the rare opportunity presented itself to look at the items I have seen so much online.

Cheers- Johnny Lloyd
                Johnny Lloyd
                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                SCAR
                Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

I picked when ever I have down time through out the weekend. Some events I've been to like Summer of '62 the only chance you had to visit the vendors was at check in or after the event was over. Through out the weekend there wasn't an oppurtunity to visit.

I hate to go after the event is over as most of the vendors, like the participants, have a long ways to drive and need to pack things up and move out with a quickness so as not to be on the road all night.

I'll will also shop via online or email or a phone call. Some vendors don't go to events in your locale, so you can only shop with them via email or online. An example is I live in VA and Don Smith of Trans Mississippi Depot is in AZ. I would never get to shop with him at an event. Currently Richmond Depot isn't going to any events so shopping with them is only by appointment, online, phone or email. So visiting them at an event is impossible also.

The event is a good time to find little haversack stuffers like mirrors, match boxes, hygeine, examine a particular vendors level quality. Also it is good just to be able to put a face with the voice over a phone or at the other end of the keyboard. I like to be able to talk to a person face to face and still look them in the eye and shake hands afterwards.

Visiting a sutler could be an "in the moment" experience if he were more like sutlers of the period and had period items/foodstuffs; by this I mean cakes, pies, candy, oysters, dried meats, potted meats, dissicated veggies, stationary, mittens, scarves, newspapers, little brass stencils with name, etc. Things the Army didn't provide but the soldiers wanted or needed and paid for. Maybe raiding a particularly crooked sutler would be part of the scenario.
                  [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                  Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                  [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                  Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                  Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                  The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Prodical Reb View Post
                    Visiting a sutler could be an "in the moment" experience if he were more like sutlers of the period and had period items/foodstuffs; by this I mean cakes, pies, candy, oysters, dried meats, potted meats, dissicated veggies, stationary, mittens, scarves, newspapers, little brass stencils with name, etc. Things the Army didn't provide but the soldiers wanted or needed and paid for. Maybe raiding a particularly crooked sutler would be part of the scenario...
                    Good reminder... if the sutlers at mainstream/public-invited events were period-correct ones, then it might add to the experience a little more. I wished more would be.

Have ya'll encountered this scenario: You go to mainstream event and see Sutler X has a great new item you think is dead-on accurate for an original pattern. You buy it, get it home and finally see pics of the original item against the one you bought and the item you bought looks like junk in comparison.

That's why I like mail-order better from a trusted source- unless I have my copy of Echoes of Glory or an original of the item in my hands at the time I buy the repro, then I get a bit timid to waste good money on junk sometimes.

-Johnny Lloyd

PS- Now... if we could've only had Mr. Erasmus Hopkins come back from Washington City at W'64 this past February.:p
                    Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 08-01-2008, 11:36 AM.
                    Johnny Lloyd
                    John "Johnny" Lloyd
                    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                    SCAR
                    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Hi,

I would have to say that I buy most of my stuff online before the event. Although I go look at the sutlers at events, I do not usually buy anything. When I was at 145th Gettysburg event, last month, there were only 2 sutlers worth going into. So, I walked around alot, but only shopped at Dirty Billy and bought a hat(the one in my picture) and Ben Tart.
                      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I'm with the crowd that use the internet before hand. But if I do look at sutlers during an event it is the first night there.
                        Joshua Schweickhardt

Comment

I'm (un?)fortunate enough to live very close to Gettysburg, so hitting S&S, Needle & Thread, Corner Clothier, Dirty Billy, Sprios Marinos, Daley's, &cet is, in the words of Darth Vader, "all too easy"

(and FHW is right down the road!)
                          Last edited by RN_PAC; 08-01-2008, 02:22 PM.
                          Tom Scoufalos
                          [IMG]http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=268&pictureid=2165[/IMG]

"If you don't play with your toys, someone else will after you die." - Michael Schaffner, Chris Daley, and probably other people too...

Comment

Every chance I get!?!
                            Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess and 69th NY (N-SSA)

Comment

I normally order online before the event. However, if there is something I really want and the Sutler has it I will buy it there.
                              Pvt. Rudy Norvelle
                              20th Maine Vol Inf Co. G
                              Third Brigade, First Divison, Fifth Corps
                              Army of the Potomac

Comment

Working...
                              X