This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting Input: Period Match Survey

Before I start, I just want to say that nothing may come of this, I am just kicking ideas around and am in a 'research' stage. So please don't email me asking when the matches will be in!

OK, so this match thing is bugging me and I feel we really need a source for a different style of correct matches. Sure they had stick matches, but are they not extremely over-represented since there is no counter part? I have made contact with a company that may be willing to work with us on this one. Again, we are at a 'research' stage! I don't even know if it would be economical to have these made up, but that is where you come in!!!

I would need to know:

-Is there enough interest out there to pursue this further?
    -How close to the original would they need to be to be 'acceptable'?

...and the big one.....

-How much are you willing to pay for such an item?

I have attached a picture of an original sheet and also a picture of the matches this company is already making. They obviously need some work, but again is it worth it? Any input is much appreciated!
    Attached Files
    $1 or less
    9.95%
    $2
    33.18%
    $3
    21.80%
    $4
    15.17%
    $5 or more!!!
    19.91%
    Bill Lomas

[B][SIZE="4"][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]E. J. Thomas Mercantile[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
    [FONT="Century Gothic"]P.O. Box 332
    Hatboro, PA 19040
    [URL="http://www.ejtmercantile.com"]www.ejtmercantile.com[/URL]
    [email]info@ejtmercantile.com[/email][/FONT]

Re: Period Match Survey

Hi,

I would be will to pay up $10.00 ( maybe more ) for a good set of authentic matches.
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Another factor to consider (and I am no businessperson, just offering a thought) is the volume of such matches, given that they are a potentially consumable/exhaustable commodity, that any given hobbiest is likely to purchase based on their price. For example, if these matches...which are very intruiging, by the way...sold for something like 10 bucks a sheet, I would not hesitate to buy one or maybe two sheets, but would never use them...I would keep them largely for display, and when it came to fire-starting, pipe-lighting, etc, would rely on modern matches in a match-safe. On the other hand, were they on the order of 2 bucks a sheet, I would actually use them on a pragmatic level so long as I could renew the supply, and in the long run would probably - willingly - spend much more on them. In answering the poll, I voted with the latter scenario in mind.
      Tom Scoufalos
      [IMG]http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=268&pictureid=2165[/IMG]

"If you don't play with your toys, someone else will after you die." - Michael Schaffner, Chris Daley, and probably other people too...

Comment

Hi,

Tom does make a good point. Because I do not smoke, and do not use candles very often at events, a set of 20 matches might last me a year or more. While someone that smokes or uses candles alot more than I do, would not want to pay as much, because he is going to burn through them alot faster. I saw that you were selling orginial matches, and I really wanted to buy them. But, I would feel bad burning matches that were orginial at a event. Just my 2 cents.
        Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Bill:

Not me. No sireee. I would use the heck out of them.

Several years ago I picked up two original sheets from the 19th century. Whlile carbon dating has not been performed, :Dthe packaging puts them into the last half of that century.

The matchsafes I own which are period would require you to break down the sheets anyhoo.
          Ley Watson
          POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Pards,

I agree that we have to look at it from at "effective cost" perspective. If they are upwards of $10 a sheet I would venture to guess that the majority of the people in the hobby will by maybee 1 or 2 sheets for display purposes only and then you don't have any repeat buyers and sales drop off, etc.. If that happens a lot of time and expense getting the project going will have been waisted and you will be sitting there holding lots of matches that you won't be able to get rid of (that is assuming that your initial order would have to be a large quantity for them to put out a custom order and to make them a little more cost effective). If they are cheaper say $3-5 a sheet more people will be buying them for general use and you would have lots of repeat buyers not just the initial orders if they were more expensive.
            For my personal use I would by them no matter the cost. I personally don't use 10 matches a season, but would love to have some for the impression. Good luck in you venture.
            Sean Cooper
            [URL="http://www.mossycreekmess.com"]http://www.mossycreekmess.com[/URL]
            SCAR

Comment

Hi Bill,

Seems to me that there must be a couple of Japanese or Asian Manufacteres of matches that make them in a wood strip. I have a set of these matches from Japan. They are in book form but are made in a wood strip similar to the period type.

It may be possible to have the period matches made for a cheaper price.

All the best

Don S
              Don F Smith

Comment

Bill,
                You need to check to see if these can be shipped without being considered a hazmat item. I know someone that carriers the small box "strike anywhere" matches and they must be shipped haz mat with UPS or Fed Ex.

Brian Baird

Laid off Transportation Professional

Comment

I am with Tom. If they are 2-5 bucks a sheet, I'd buy them and use them. Much more than $5, and then I put them in my kit for display, and use cheaper matches to light candles and pipes.
                  Ron Mueller
                  Illinois
                  New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
                  Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
                  Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Eureka Independent View Post
                    Hi Bill,

Seems to me that there must be a couple of Japanese or Asian Manufacteres of matches that make them in a wood strip. I have a set of these matches from Japan. They are in book form but are made in a wood strip similar to the period type.

All the best

Don S
                    Hmmm..that is good to know...My wife and I are heading to Japan for 2 weeks in September; I'll have to keep an eye out for those and maybe grab some. That is not to discourage Bill from looking in to having them made; I still would stand to buy some here (I'm sure whatever price they'd be would beat the cost of flying to the other side of the planet!)
                    Tom Scoufalos
                    [IMG]http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=268&pictureid=2165[/IMG]

"If you don't play with your toys, someone else will after you die." - Michael Schaffner, Chris Daley, and probably other people too...

Comment

I think that you are correct there needs to be more represtentation of the other forms of matches. Also price wise 4 to 5 dollars would be an appropiate price i think.

Chris Hornady

Comment

Thanks guys for your input so far. I'm glad to see there is at least some interest.

Tom,
                        If you are able to score any while in Japan, I'd be most interested in seeing them!
                        Bill Lomas

[B][SIZE="4"][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]E. J. Thomas Mercantile[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
                        [FONT="Century Gothic"]P.O. Box 332
                        Hatboro, PA 19040
                        [URL="http://www.ejtmercantile.com"]www.ejtmercantile.com[/URL]
                        [email]info@ejtmercantile.com[/email][/FONT]

Comment

Bill-

You got it! However, if having a load of them in my checked luggage earns me the rubber glove treatment, I expect a good deal on any you have made up :D!
                          Tom Scoufalos

Comment

Sign me up for them at up to $10 a sheet. I have tried to get these here in Canada and it is possible with a decent expenditure of investment, but I am not in business and can not justify the cost. I was able to get samples and distributed them and I retain some for display. I would buy bulk or be a repeat customer. While the need is limited for non smokers the loss of period is felt when relighting your candle with a disposable lighter before you finish your evening paperwork.

Erik Simundson
                            Erik Simundson

Comment

I would be interested, not only for a living history display item but also to light my pipe, candles, or a fire. I would pay $5-10 and consider the pure novelty of ownership worth the expense.
                              - Pvt. S. Martin Aksentowitz
                              1st California Co. F
                              Carleton's Cannibals

[CENTER][COLOR="Red"]Angst kommt; da werden sie Heil suchen, aber es wird nicht zu finden sein.- HESEKIEL 7.25[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"To day we. . . stopped a few minutes to examine the crumbling ruins the walls were defaced with Texians traitors names and Texican Braggodocia but nary a Texican thare to answer to his name or make good his writing on the wall."
                              -Eli W. Hazen, 1st California Vol. Inf.[/CENTER]

[RIGHT][COLOR="Silver"]"Credo Quio Absurdum" - ECV[/COLOR][/RIGHT]

Comment

Working...
                              X