New Items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update: New Items

Just wanted let everyone know we have a few new items in the shop which include, but not limited to:

- Quilted Jean Hats by Ross Lamoreaux (Based off the Landon Cheek hat in CS E.O.G.)

- CS/Civilian Laborer's Jackets from Wambaugh, White & Co.

- U.S. Army and Militia Canteens 1775-1910 by Mike O'Donnell

There should be more in the weeks to come!
    Attached Files
    Bill Lomas

[B][SIZE="4"][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]E. J. Thomas Mercantile[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
    [FONT="Century Gothic"]P.O. Box 332
    Hatboro, PA 19040
    [URL="http://www.ejtmercantile.com"]www.ejtmercantile.com[/URL]
    [email]info@ejtmercantile.com[/email][/FONT]

Re: New Items

Hi,

If keep adding things, I will have to place a order once a week!!!!!!!!:D:wink_smil
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Wow,

I like that jacket. It's essentially WW&Co's 4-Button Jacket pattern with in a lighter weight denim jean.. Construction looks very durable. I'm having one of WW&Co's 4-Button kits being constructed at this time in a BT's tan jeans wool.. but boy do I wish I had held out for this jacket. Although.. I probably will be more than happy come winter time. I'd love to see the photos of Confederate soldiers wearing this jacket. I have seen a few of the four button mystery jackets and similar four button civilian work jackets but never a period photo.

Anyways.. thanks for lettin' me voice my opinionated awe.
      Last edited by Jon The Beloved; 08-29-2008, 03:32 PM.
      Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
      Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
      ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
      ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
      ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
      ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
      ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

I'm just curious, being a big citizen living historian and all, but where are all these original 4 button civilian "work jackets"? I've never seen one quite like this before, sure there are denim work jackets in existence (mostly railroad work jackets from late in the century) as well as some written documentation and advertisements for mid-century ones, but these coats don't have a standing collar and are of a somewhat different style than Charlie's 4 button CS jacket pattern.

There is excellent documentation and excellent surviving examples of linen work jackets being worn early in the 19th century, but these disappear by the 1840s, largely because of the popular rise of paletot coats/jackets and then the sack coat. These early jackets more closely resemble Navy monkey jackets.

I'd love to know if there are original 1850s-60s citizen denim work jackets of this kind out there besides those intended for service in the Confederate Army, I'd love to examine them.:)
        Ian McWherter

"With documentation you are wearing History, without it, it's just another costume."-David W. Rickman

Comment

I must retract my statement "I've seen.. 4 button (standing collar) civilian work jackets" as I have not heard them called such but there are a few surviving examples of either private purchase or issued four button jeans wool jackets. I know not if what I've seen is a civilian work jacket but the closest one to it (still looks to be made of jeans wool) on the net that I have found is at the bottom of this article on the Southern Guards site:

I would be interested as well to see what inspired this particular jacket. Photos of period scenes and surviving examples would be great.
          Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
          Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
          ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
          ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
          ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
          ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
          ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X