Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caps

Give yourself the gift of warm sleep and support preservation at the same time.

Here's a little different style and shape based on workers' and farmer's caps.
    1. Navy 100% wool felt, lined with linen, and topped with a small navy wool tassel size large 22 3/4" - 23 1/2" (hat size 7 1/4-7 3/8) $52 ppd ($13 to preservation)

2. Maroon 100% wool felt, lined with linen, with a deep blue wool tassel size 21 1/2" - 22 1/4" (hat size 6 3/4 - 7) $55 ppd ($13.75 to preservation)

3. Brown !00% wool felt, lined with linen, with a rust wool tassel size size large 22 3/4" - 23 1/2" ( hat size 7 1/4-7 3/8) $50 ppd ($12.50 to preservation)

4. brown wool with brown and cream cotton and brown wool tassel size med/large 22 - 23 1/2" (hat size 7-7 3/8) Completely hand stitched wool and cotton with hand made and braided wool tassels $45 ppd ($11.25 to preservation)

25% of proceeds for will be donated to preservation through ACPP

10% discount for active and retired modern military and law enforcement personnel

If you’d like to reserve any of them for up to 7 days, please post here, PM, or e-mail at PreservationParcels@hotmail.com to reserve. Money orders, personal checks or Paypal at preservationparcels@hotmail.com gladly accepted.

Thank you to all the people who purchased items in 2008. Because of you, over $1300 went to support preservation.

stitch by stitch, acre by acre

Re: Caps

I purchased one of the Canada Caps and was impressed by the neat workmanship. The other night I was reading in front of a draft and when I felt the chill I grabbed the cap, which sat on my library table, and plonked it on.
    I felt warmth almost at once and the tassle protected my neck from the chill. When I considered the cap not only would it protect my head in the cold but the tassle would undoubtedly save my neck from sun burn and I believe act as a fly wisk chasing away mosquitos and flys.
    There had to be a reason that these styles of cap survived and were used for so long on the frontier. They work.
    I am very pleased with mine and encourage others to get one of them if it meets your impression.
    Splendid work Kathy.

Erik Simundson
    Erik Simundson

Comment

Erik,

Thank you. You're right. My husband and son wear their hats every day in this cold weather. One wears his to his job at Pamplin Park. One wears his to his job at N.A.S.A. One takes his off when he gets to his office. Some things are timeless.:)

The maroon and brown hats are still available.
      Last edited by KathyBradford; 01-07-2009, 09:27 AM.

Comment

All,

I'm very behind in my correspondence but I need to take a second here and do two things.

First, I'll second the thoughts on these hats. I have a Canada hat made for the 4th MI scenarios and I do reach for it on chilly nights in the house as well as at events now.

Second, as a member of the Executive Board of the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition, I want to thank all of you who ordered these caps from Kathy. Her hard work and your purchases meant that $505.30 of the over $1300.00 Kathy donated to preservation came to support our efforts restoring Historic Fort Wayne. The money was not earmarked to a specific project, rather to float in the preservation account and help fill in gaps.

I can now say that it has already filled two important gaps. Some of the money is allocated to help us purchase the materials for the final casemate cover that needs replacing. Some of you were at the GHTI event that rebuilt the first cover. There are give arched covers and one doorway. We were very close to having all of them funded and Kathy's donation threw us over the top.

We are also working to restore the windows in the 1848 Limestone barracks. Some of the money will be used to purchase supplies for that on-going project.

Thank you, Kathy! Your dedication to preservation is amazing. We appreciate the way in which you have helped us.

Regards to all!

Will Eichler
        Treasurer, Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
        Will Eichler

Member, Company of Military Historians
        Saginaw City Light Infantry
        Hubbard Winsor Lodge #420
        Stony Creek Lodge #5

Civil War Digital Digest
        http://civilwardigitaldigest.com/

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
        www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Comment

Will,

It's thanks to all the people who ordered these hats that the donations were possible. There's more on the way, too. Mrs. Lawson has graciously offered to send her last pound of her "best match" yarn for more tassels, so when it arrives, there will be more hats, as well. Some have already been reserved.

Recently, my father told me about family connections to Ft. Wayne that I had never heard. When my parents were first married, they taught a Sunday School class for the children of the officers there. My brother's induction ceremony into the Air Force was held there, too, so I'm excited to hear about the great preservation happening there.

Thanks to all!

Comment

Kathy,

How exciting! Here's the million dollar question - do any picture exist in your family from any of those events?

Also, please PM me your mailing address, I've managed to lose it while cleaning the office.

Thanks again!

Will
            Will Eichler

Member, Company of Military Historians
            Saginaw City Light Infantry
            Hubbard Winsor Lodge #420
            Stony Creek Lodge #5

Civil War Digital Digest
            http://civilwardigitaldigest.com/

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
            www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Comment

Hey All,

I'd like to bump this thread back up into the present time. I just yesterday received my wonderful cap from Kathy Bradford and I got the pictured item #2 above. It is well worth the price AND it benefits preservation efforts, so I am strongly inclined to suggest that if you do nothing else toward your personal preservation goal this year, and you can part with a few bucks for this fine cap, I can personally vouch for the quality and added value to your impression that such a cap would provide.

My heartfelt thanks to Kathy and to all who would take the plunge. Thank you.
              Joe Madden
              13th New Hampshire Vols.
              Co. E
              Unattached

Comment

Working...
              X