Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Book out on S Isaac Campbell Co and Caleb Huse!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Book out on S Isaac Campbell Co and Caleb Huse!

Just bought a copy - Very keen to read this! It will be an indispensable part of my library!
    Regards,
    Scott Dallimore
    14th SCVI Co. I "McCalla's Rifles"
    Reedy River Mess - 16th S.C. The Greenville Rg't
    -------------------------------------

Comment

Colleagues,

I received my copy yesterday! Amazingly easy read; I especially appreciate the section on the John Edward Barnett.

I recommend this book to any interested in the major aspect of Confederate supply from abroad.

Respectfully,

Michael Collins
      Michael S. Collins

15th Tenn. Vol. Inf. Co "G"
      Robert L. Miller Award Recipient No.26 May, 2003

"Trust in God and Fear Nothing."
      - Brig. General Lewis Addison Armistead

Comment

The publisher of this book was very helpful and efficient. I have received my first batch and have begun shipping (kept one for myself). An excellent book! Anyway that you can purchase a copy...do so! Inexpensive and worth twice the price!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Major-Caleb-Huse...3A1%7C294%3A50
        Joseph Hofmann

Comment

Ordered mine direct and received it yesterday. Easy reading and very interesting. Thanks David.
          Timothy J. Koehn
          Boone's Louisiana Battery
          Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
          http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

David:

The book is a good one with some good information. Reading our copy which we rec'd earlier this week, and let me add was eagerly anticipated. Initial impression: You shouldn't have skimped on the proofreader. Some sentences make no sense, and others contradict each other. The typos and lack of punctuation, and other mistakes like ellipses with four dots, sentences that end without a period, one sentence paragraphs all detract from an otherwise good effort. As an undergraduate Mass Media/Econ student, I can tell you work like this would not be accepted for a college level course, it would not get a passing grade. A book should be better than a college term paper, right? This can be easily cleaned up in future editions, though. There is plenty of good information on the Isaacs, and you were barking up the right tree about the identity of "Campbell". From the little I have read before, the following from the suit was filed on behalf of SIC & Co to reclaim the Springbok (Blockade Runner) and its cargo is insightful:

"That firm had no partner of the name of Campbell as is shown in the prize causes and in the present memorial. Mr D Forbes Campbell represents the existing interests in the claim which as is stated in the memorial are largely those of creditors of the original parties."

Looking forward to the comments of others once they get their copy. It is quickly and easily read, and I had always wondered what Samuel Isaac's son died from while representing the firm in the Bahamas. I was glad to find that in there, too. The use of the McRae papers was a good decision, too. The book should do well as there is a great deal of interest in the subject matter.
            Last edited by ; 03-14-2009, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Wow Hunter, tell us what you really feel and don't hold back! I just received my copy and am about half way through it. It's easily a one nights read, but lack of time prevents me from getting all the way through it. Look forward to finishing it this weekend though. As Mr. Burt states in the intro... "This book is not intended in any way as the last word on the story of Major Caleb Huse and S Isaac Campbell & Co, on the contrary . This is just the beginning." I have read Guns for Cotton and was pleased with the information Mr. Boaz presented and am more pleased with Mr. Burt's addition to this interesting topic. Certainly not the definitive work on the subject, but I think what is presented is a great read and hopefully a stepping stone to more research on the subject.

Thank you Mr. Burt for the work you have put forth and I look forward to anything else you or others may write on this particular subject.
              Bill Lomas

[B][SIZE="4"][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]E. J. Thomas Mercantile[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
              [FONT="Century Gothic"]P.O. Box 332
              Hatboro, PA 19040
              [URL="http://www.ejtmercantile.com"]www.ejtmercantile.com[/URL]
              [email]info@ejtmercantile.com[/email][/FONT]

Comment

Bill

Well, wait and see what you think when you finish reading it. You are right, though, I finished it late last night and those were my "unexpurgated" thoughts on it. Maybe I should have slept on it, but those were my first impressions right after finishing it..."Measure twice, cut once" as the saying goes.

Comment

Firstly, may I thank everyone for their constructive reviews on the book , much appreciated, thank you.
                  As Mr Lomas points out in my introduction in the book, it is stated that this book is meant as the "Beginning" of the study into S Isaac Campbell & Co's relationship with the Confederacy.
                  I have no doubt more eminent and scholarly people than myself will have their own say in the years to come.

The reason I wrote the book was to put an end to some of the things I have read over the years.
                  I have read quotes in otherwise excellent books like " Samuel Isaac was a New Yorker" and that " Saul Isaac died in the midst of the revelations".I just wanted to dispel these "myths" and put out a "broad brush", easily read, general history of the company and of Samuel and Saul Isaac themselves.

That was my sole intention.

Regards,
                  Dave Burt
                  Last edited by DBURT; 03-16-2009, 04:20 AM.
                  David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Comment

Right, unless Chatham (Isaacs place of birth) in in NY now. Last time I checked it was still in England, though. I think the Isaacs from NY myth that William Albaugh adopted in his book on swords goes back to a bogus NY firm by the same name that was sued back in the 1840s. No relation to the SIC & Co from the Civil War-era.

There is a great story there to tell. I am sharing my copy with my "boss", General Jim Lews, Stones River Battlefield Park defacto historian.

Comment

I'm very sad that John Hopper wasn't around to read it i am sure he would of found it very interesting , with his deep interest in the subject.
                      Martyn Goddard
                      American Eagle Society
                      Mess #4

http://www.aesoc.org/

Comment

A very nice concise study which opens the field for discussion.
                        I would have wished for more clear detail of the examples and the photos could have been sharper.
                        The discussion around the cuts on the tabs of the pouch are interesting and ring true. I have seen original British pouches, including a 40 round Sergeant's pouch, and they they are the devil to open.
                        Congratulations on an excellent preliminary publication.

Erik Simundson
                        Erik Simundson

Comment

Originally posted by stri volunteer View Post
                          Right, unless Chatham (Isaacs place of birth) in in NY now. Last time I checked it was still in England, though. I think the Isaacs from NY myth that William Albaugh adopted in his book on swords goes back to a bogus NY firm by the same name that was sued back in the 1840s. No relation to the SIC & Co from the Civil War-era.

There is a great story there to tell. I am sharing my copy with my "boss", General Jim Lews, Stones River Battlefield Park defacto historian.
                          Hi All,

A disclaimer before I start that I have not yet read Mr Burt's book, but it is on order. I bought it solely based upon Mr Burt mentioning within the original sales blurb both Saul AND Samuel Isaac. That he has noted two 'S. Isaac' brothers makes me feel that he has 'done his homework' and already puts him far above the 90% of other published authors on this topic who apparently have not picked up this 'small' :confused_ detail. Obviously full judgement waits for the full book, but I am already looking forward to it.

I have always believed that the ongoing myth about New York, or the other one that the company was set up by Northerners during the Civil War (ummm, huh?) came from ignoring all British documentation and relying solely on the pieces in the ORs. For instance:

"Mr. Hart (for I have had no intercourse with Mr. Isaac) is a resident of New York, and, as the uncle of the latter, came out here [Bermuda] to superintend the business transactions of the London firm." [Letter, L Heyliger to G W Randolph, July 19th, 1862. Official Records... Series IV, vol 2, pp.8-9.]

Connect the dots the wrong way and there you are!

My appreciation to Mr Burt for taking that next step from collecting information (as many of us do), to the long work of selecting, writing, and publishing (as too few of us do!). Again, I look forward to an interesting read.

Frank Packer

Comment

My copy just came this week - haven't read any of it yet, but it looks good! My thanks to the authors for all their work on this subject.
                            Regards,
                            Scott Dallimore
                            14th SCVI Co. I "McCalla's Rifles"
                            Reedy River Mess - 16th S.C. The Greenville Rg't
                            -------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                            X