Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flames Beyond Gettysburg - New Book!

Folks,
    I realize everyones "open to buy" dollars are at a premium these days which is why I am loathe to post new release books I have up for sale. This book, however, is pretty extraordinary for those that have a soft place in their heart for the Gettysburg campaign:

Flames Beyond Gettysburg
    One of the most strategically important parts of the 1863 Gettysburg Campaign today is virtually unknown to the modern battlefield tramper. In late June, Confederate Brig. Gen. John B. Gordon led a vital expedition through south-central Pennsylvania with a goal of seizing the mile-long Colombia-Wrightsville Bridge over the Susquehanna River. Along the way, Gordon had to deal with hastily recruited and barely trained state emergency militia whose mission was to delay the Rebels for as long as possible and then deny them the use of the river crossing. This book offers the most detailed examination of the Gordon's mission. Chapters include a treatise on the first fighting at Gettysburg (a series of skirmishes on June 26), the subsequent cavalry raid on Hanover Junction, Gordon's triumphal Sunday parade through York, and the skirmish at Wrightsville that doomed the Gordon expedition to failure. The book includes several detailed driving tours and a complete order of battle for both Gordon's Georgians and the Pennsylvanians who opposed them. 624 pages $23.95 plus shipping

Lieutenant Drennan's Letter - A Confederate Officer's Account of the Battle of Champion Hill and the Siege of Vicksburg

A rare Confederate account of the Battle of Champion Hill, the disorganized retreat to Vicksburg, and the ensuing siege of that city. Lt. Drennan's 92-page letter to his wife illustrates the hardships and dangers experienced inside the strangled city of Vicksburg during the long siege. Maps, photos, and annotations enhance this wonderful primary account. 64 pages $7.95 plus shipping.

Both can be found in my ebay listings under nj-skilletlicker

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Joseph Hofmann

Re: Flames Beyond Gettysburg - New Book!

Hey Joe,

Funny you should post this... I was just looking at the Gordon book the other day. I live in downtown York, PA right on one of the three main streets that Gordon's troops used to march right into the city. The story that this book covers is quite amazing. I'd also like to emphasize that as shown on the book cover, the Wrightsville Bridge was a one mile long COVERED bridge. Yeow!
    Paul Boccadoro
    Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Comment

Thanks for your input Paul, it is indeed a cool story, one that usually only receives a small blurb in Gettysburg writings.
      The publisher, Ironclad, has put out a few great books on G'burg, among them "Battle Between the Farm Lanes" which I offered up awhile ago. Unfortunately it seems that Ironclad is impossible to get a hold of, I was lucky enough to find the Farm Lane book direct from the author (did a ton of detective work to find his phone number)and it has since sold through. I happened onto this book as well, it is a new release, but Lord knows how long I will be able to get it.
      Joseph Hofmann

Comment

Thank you for the kind words regarding my latest book! The reviews so far have been very, very positive. The new book covers a major part of the Gettysburg Campaign that has rarely been reported in any depth in the standard books.

One feature that living historians may enjoy are the six driving tours - you can retrace where the various units actually marched and rode as they crossed southern Pennsylvania, including the "first battle" at Gettysburg on June 26, 1863.

Good luck with the book sales, and please let me know how I can support your efforts.

Scott Mingus
        York, PA
        www.scottmingus.com
        Scott L. Mingus, Sr.
        [URL="http://www.scottmingus.com"]www.scottmingus.com[/URL]
        York, PA

Comment

Working...
        X