Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reproduction Civilian/South Union Shaker Blanket Now Available!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcement: Reproduction Civilian/South Union Shaker Blanket Now Available!!!!

South Union Mills and the Shaker Museum at South Union are excited to announce that the long awaited reproduction Shaker civilian blanket is now available for pre-order. The reproduction blanket is a copy of a blanket that was woven by the Shakers at South Union in the mid-19th century. The mill at South Union was in operation from 1815 till 1868, and during that time produced numerous yards of jeans and woolen goods and blankets. During the Civil War, these products supplied the needs of both armies who frequently travelled through the village.

This is the first of what is to be known as the "South Union Collection" of reproduction textiles and artifacts from the exceptional collection at South Union. However, this blanket is going to be reproduced in limited quantities to maintain the significance of the collection and its reproductions. Furthermore, the first 25 orders will receive a complimentary copy of A Thread of Evidence: Shaker Textile Industries at South Union, Kentuckywhich has extensive information about textile operations in the village that includes the original blanket we are reproducing.

Proceeds from the blanket's sales will go to preservation efforts at the Shaker Museum at South Union. Many of you are familiar with how living historian friendly this site has been for years, and this is our chance to give back to the site! They have also been more than generous in allowing South Union Mills the opportunity to exam this original item and have it reproduced as the first of the "South Union Collection." Shaker items are extremely scarce, and those that are available are extremely expensive, so this is definitely an unheard of opportunity!

The blanket is being faithfully reproduced by a family operated woolen mill, with every care given to historical accuracy and faithfullness to Shaker quality.

Two options are available, including the opportunity to have your blanket stamped by an exact copy of a textile stamp used at South Union. Details of the options available are explained on our website.

Shipments are expected to begin in 6-8 weeks.

Please visit our website at www.southunionmills.com for more details and to order. Orders can be made with paypal directly from the webpage, or to reserve yours with check or money order, email shakerblanket@southunionmills.com.

For more information about the Shaker Museum at South Union, please visit www.shakermuseum.com.
    Attached Files
    Chris Utley
    South Union Mills
    [url]www.southunionmills.com[/url]
    [url]www.facebook.com/southunionmills[/url]

Re: Reproduction Civilian/South Union Shaker Blanket Now Available!!!!

Somewhat ironic that this warm wooly blanket will be available to you all down east after the current snow is gone (hopefully).
    Looks like a quality offering.
    S.Sullivan

Comment

When I returned home this week after a long absence, this wonderful blanket was sitting on the porch, its box battered and spattered from exposure. My heart sank.

It did not need to--inside the blanket was well bagged and packed. Its a fabulous reproduction. Thank you Chris.

For those of you gentlemen who have been looking in vain for a civilian blanket--here is an excellent one. Well made, excellent materials, and a good loft to the wool. While mine will not leave the house, as it is destined for an 18th century bed, you will be pleased with yours in the field.
      Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Mrs. Lawson,

Great to hear that it wasn't damaged! Thank you for the comments on the blanket, it was a pleasure to work on the project. We are already looking to another blanket project, so keep your eyes peeled for more info!
        Chris Utley
        South Union Mills
        [url]www.southunionmills.com[/url]
        [url]www.facebook.com/southunionmills[/url]

Comment

Pat Klien once referred to my addiction as the 'Coverlet of the Month Club'.

In an elderly house with period beds in all the non-standard sizes, made up with feather ticks and linen sacking sheets, the smaller period size blankets are always welcome, as they fit the beds.

I look forward to your next effort.
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Working...
          X