No announcement yet.

New haversack pattern in stock!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcement: New haversack pattern in stock!

I’ve been sitting on these particular haversacks for a while trying to figure out how to market them. I’ve been stymied because, frankly, they’re a complete departure from anything I would normally do.

These haversacks are a copy of an original that resides in the Texas Civil War Museum in Fort Worth, Texas. Craig Schneider had a chance to thoroughly examine the original and was generous enough to share his research with me.

This is one of the crudest haversacks I’ve ever seen and I’m sure many of you will agree when you hold it in your hands. Assembled from a plain, loose weave cotton osnaburg and cobbled together with wide stitches in a dark thread, this thing is a real dog! Even the buttonhole is unusual in that it isn’t buttonhole stitched, rather just whip stitched. That said, all of the vital points are very well reinforced. Whoever made the original knew that, while this haversack wasn’t pretty, it would definitely hold rations and not come apart.

These haversacks look like they were perhaps made by a soldier in the field or simply an example of shoddy contract work. Either way, this particular design would add an interesting touch to any CS impression and would provide a jarring contrast when set next to a US haversack at a living history.

We’re offering these at the rock bottom price of $25. What we currently have in stock was part of a very limited run – order yours now because, once they’re gone, they won’t be back for a while!

We also have the following items in stock and ready to ship:

• Painted cloth groundsheets with 4 handsewn grommets each. These are approximately 48" x 75” in length and are painted on one side. No, we do not use latex paint. $55 ea. Only 1 in stock!
    • CS Moses Alexander style haversacks. Entirely handsewn (yes, even the strap) out of a heavyweight cotton drill with a bone button closure for our everyday low price of only $30.
    • Moses Alexander style haversacks made out of heavyweight cotton ticking. These are entirely handsewn with a bone button closure and are imminently affordable at $30 each.
    CLEARANCE! CS painted cloth haversacks. These are patterned after the Moses Alexander bag dimensionally with a painted cloth body and an unpainted strap. No, we do not use latex paint. Entirely handsewn with a bone button closure. Only $25 each!

Prices do not include shipping or a 3% fee for all payments received via PayPal. If interested, please contact us via PM or by email at akmdrygoods@yahoo.com
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Travelin Cornfed; 07-29-2010, 10:37 AM.
    Andrew "Abner" Martin
    AKM Dry Goods

Re: New haversack pattern in stock!

I will take a groundcloth. PM sent.
    William D. O'Malley IV

Comment

Got you covered, Mr. O'Malley.
      Andrew "Abner" Martin
      AKM Dry Goods

Comment

I've had a couple of questions regarding the dimensions on these Texas bags....

Strap length - 44.5"
        Length - 12"
        Width - 2.5"
        Height - 9"

It's actually a fairly roomy bag.....
        Andrew "Abner" Martin
        AKM Dry Goods

Comment

I've had the chance to see the original and Andrew actually, I think, a better job than the real one. Yes, there was some really poor quality items made back in the day. The original is ugly and surprised it survived. Compared to the other items I've seen out of AKM, he must have had to smash his hand with a hammer to get the effect of the poor stitching. Safe to say it is sound work.
          Very good job on this piece.
          my 2 pennies
          Joe Blunt
          "...don't rush the judgement, until all the facts are in."

Comment

Joe-

Thanks for the kind words. It was quite hard to make them as ugly as they should be!
            Andrew "Abner" Martin
            AKM Dry Goods

Comment

Only 2 of these left!
              Andrew "Abner" Martin
              AKM Dry Goods

Comment

Andrew,

I received the "Texas" haversack today and it is a very interesting piece and your customer service is outstanding. Thanks very much!

Best regards,
                Charles Kevin Traxler
                "You may find me one day dead in a ditch. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass" Trooper M. Padgett

Comment

I have a haversack and one of his CS Groundclothes and I cant say enough about the quality and customer service. Andrew is a great guy and makes great things, hard combo to find these days. I seriously cant believe anythings left, great quality...hand sewing is spot on....and you CANT BEAT THE PRICES!
                  Brian William Huerta

Fighting Boys Mess

Liberty Rifles

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, gents.

I am humbled.....

Only one of the Texas haversacks left.
                    Last edited by Travelin Cornfed; 08-04-2010, 07:45 PM.
                    Andrew "Abner" Martin
                    AKM Dry Goods

Comment

Working...
                    X