Splay Kegs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splay Kegs

Not really a military item, but a normal item of commerce during the period. But y'all don't read the civilian items for sale as much......

What's a splay keg you ask?

Good question. Its not like you see them in the hobby that often. We tend to use barrels or sacks to transport stuff in, but splay kegs were also used during the period. Essentially, they look like a giant bucket, upside down, and with a lid on both ends.

Gerry Barker pulled up the research during the planning for In The Van, as a common way to transport salt meats during the mid-19th century. It worked well. Nobody died.

I've got two for sale here. They are 'wet cooperage'--this means they will hold liquid if properly prepped--or keep stuff inside them dry. We used them for a week, hauling salt hams and pickle, and lots of brine in the back of a wagon.

Grand things. And we didn't end up with a wagon full of loose vinegar or anything. Made by Joe Vannasdale, up near Bowling Green, Kentucky.

The originals had wooden lids to be caved in with an axe. These have wooden lids with a lip on them that secures the lid--and that you can knock off with a little muscle, and reseal. Good for rations, and they make a nice seat too. About 24 inches high, and 24 inches across. Heavy, but not that heavy, because I can wrestle them in and out of my truck unassisted.

But I was lazy, and left them in the truck to take the picture.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

$150 Each. Cash on the BarrelHead :wink_smil

Paypal Preferred. Can be delivered at the Twin Rivers event next week, or y'all can come to the Alabama hill country and get them. Shipping--ummm, sure would be expensive.

Reply to thlawson@bellsouth.net
    Last edited by Spinster; 11-02-2010, 11:19 PM.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.
Working...
X