Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rubberized haversacks January Bully Buy

Comrades,

I have just received my first run of rubberized haversacks and offer them here as January Bully Buy for 34 Euro ( ca. 45$) incl. shipping to the USA and Paypal Fees!

The Rubber Clothing Company manufactured haversacks like these. The original they were patterned from can be seen in Mike Woshner's book about india rubber and gutta percha on page 194 and Heritage Auctions does have pictures of two specimen in their archives too.
    The haversacks are made of lightweight 100% unbleached cotton drill rubberized with natural rubber. The whole construction is heat sealed, there is no glue or stitching used on them like the originals. They are closed with a simple brass button. The three originals I have seen except of the one in Woshner's book had domed hard rubber buttons. Unfortunately these are not available so I have chosen to use a brass button like the haversack in Woshner's book has.
    The bag is 12" wide and 12" deep when lying flat and about 10.5" high when the bottom is set in. The straps are additionally secured with four copper rivets, like the originals.
    The original strap was only 46,5" long total length which simply is too short for most "modern" men. The straps of my repros are longer between 52" and 56 " effective length. This is longer than I had planned but this is how they ended up. So no problem for big or tall men. The smaller framed among you will have to fold the strap and stitch it.

If you would like to order one just email me at j.h.berger@lederarsenal.com.
    Attached Files
    Jan H.Berger
    Hornist

German Mess
    http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Re: rubberized haversacks January Bully Buy

These are also perfect for those who do Antebellum Regulars impressions in Texas or NM as these rubberized haversacks were being used out here on an experimental basis in the mid 1850s.
    Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
    Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

There is also several reference to india rubber haversacks used in Mexico in 1846-1848!

Bravo Jan!

Chris Fischer
      F-Troop

Comment

Chris do you know which units were issued the haversacks on the Mex-Am war? Were they a federal gov't issue or a state issue?

Thx

Originally posted by FTrooper View Post
        There is also several reference to india rubber haversacks used in Mexico in 1846-1848!

Bravo Jan!

Chris Fischer
        F-Troop
        Ernie Manzo
        Co. C, 1st USSS (NCWA)

Comment

Jan,

Email sent.

Danke,
          Kevin
          Charles Kevin Traxler
          "You may find me one day dead in a ditch. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass" Trooper M. Padgett

Comment

Which units out east of the Mississippi got these?Was it more AOP or Department of the West?
            Cullen Smith
            South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by ohpkirk View Post
              These are also perfect for those who do Antebellum Regulars impressions in Texas or NM as these rubberized haversacks were being used out here on an experimental basis in the mid 1850s.
              And the Pacific Northwest where I figure they were designed for.
              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

More than likely, the rubber on the originals didn't fare too well in the Texas heat and most of the rubber ended up on the soldier's uniform.
                Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
                Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Very nice haversack Mr. Berger.

Had these pictures of an original to post on my web site so thought I would show them here instead.

Click image for larger version

Name:	oilclothsack2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	222719Click image for larger version

Name:	oilclothsacksmal.jpg
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	222720Click image for larger version

Name:	oilclothsack3.jpg
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	222721
                  Jim Mayo
                  Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                  http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Clarifiication: When you state "The whole construction is heat sealed, there is no glue or stitching used on them like the originals." are you stating that the originals were heat sealed and not glued or stitched?

Jas. T. Lemon
                    50th Va. Corporal

Comment

Email sent earlier this evening.
                      Brian White
                      [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                      [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                      [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Ernie,

I have a list of some units somewhere, but I am in the middle of doing quite a bit of house work and those files are packed up at this time. From what I recall they were regualrs and volunteers issued from Army stocks.

Chris Fischer
                        F-Troop

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmayo View Post
                          Very nice haversack Mr. Berger.

Had these pictures of an original to post on my web site so thought I would show them here instead.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36689[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]36690[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]36691[/ATTACH]
                          Thanky you very much Mr Mayo, do you own the haversack in the pictures?
                          Jan H.Berger
                          Hornist

German Mess

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by 50th VA Corporal View Post
                            Clarifiication: When you state "The whole construction is heat sealed, there is no glue or stitching used on them like the originals." are you stating that the originals were heat sealed and not glued or stitched?

Jas. T. Lemon
                            50th Va. Corporal
                            Yes, the originals were vulcanized together. This was also done with raingear. They are pretty similar in cosntruction like the gum blankets and ponchos.
                            Jan H.Berger
                            Hornist

German Mess

www.lederarsenal.com

Comment

Originally posted by J.H.Berger View Post
                              Thanky you very much Mr Mayo, do you own the haversack in the pictures?
                              I took the picture at the last Richmond Show. The reason I haven't posted it on my web page is that I lost the card with the dealers name and I usually give credit to the owner at the time I took the picture.
                              Jim Mayo
                              Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                              http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              X