not an announcement--iron musket barrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not an announcement--iron musket barrels

Not an announcement but a question. I found a blacksmith who says he has made iron blackpowder barrels (rifled and smoothbore). So, I'm trying to see if there might be a market for such.

Re: not an announcement--iron musket barrels

Sounds kind of sketchy to me. Musket barrels were dropforged over a mandrel and then went through several machining processes. Not exactly blacksmith work.
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

good point -- I haven't seen any of his work since I'm in Korea and he isn't. He's supossed to be making me one, so in about a year I'll know something.

Comment

Originally posted by hireddutchcutthroat
        Sounds kind of sketchy to me. Musket barrels were dropforged over a mandrel and then went through several machining processes. Not exactly blacksmith work.
        It definately is blacksmith work. A skilled blacksmith could very easily make gun barrels, both smoothbore and rifled. A gunsmith was just a blacksmith who specialized in making guns.

Take flat bar stock, heat it and then wrap it around the proper diameter rod, forge weld the seem and rifle, if appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by cwsitebuilder
          It definately is blacksmith work. A skilled blacksmith could very easily make gun barrels, both smoothbore and rifled. A gunsmith was just a blacksmith who specialized in making guns.

Take flat bar stock, heat it and then wrap it around the proper diameter rod, forge weld the seem and rifle, if appropriate.
          I am very familiar with the work of Gunsmiths, such as Wallace Gussler etc. And a skilled GUNSMITH can use the crude methods you pointed out to make a spectacular one off 18th century type of firearm. However military firearms from our timeperiod used a full battery of machinetool processes, In fact modern precission machine tools were developed and perfected in the United States, between 1812 and 1858, making guns. The forefathers of the "American style of Manufacturing" such as Blanchard, Whitney, Brown and Sharpe, all worked in the develpment of American firearms manufacturing. These men more than anybody else are responsible for the American Industrial Revolution. In short, a musket for our time period would not only best be maufactured in a machineshop, it is correct way to have it made. If you want a Kentucky long rifle, go with a Gunsmith. If you want a 19th century rifled musket, go with a machinist.
          Last edited by hireddutchcutthroat; 05-17-2004, 05:37 PM.
          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I concur with Mr. Johnson's assessment.
            The type of barrel produced with furnace, hammer, anvil, and rod would not be appropriate for US muskets of the period (or British, Belgian, etc). If one considers nothing more than the thickness of metal at the muzzle of a 69 cal smoothbore US Musket, it is evident that machining (lathe) has taken place.
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger
            Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
            X