• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overall sale from Corner Clothiers

Sale of the Month: June 2004
    Workman's Overalls
    Sale Price $125.00*

In the 19th century overalls were a pair of loose trousers made of a cheap heavy cloth such as duck, denim or jean, were worn over other garments to protect them from being soiled. Like coats, overalls were frequently mentioned in diary entries and newspaper notices as a common garment for working men. James Clonney depicted such a garment in his 1838 genre painting, In the Woodshed (below), as did William Sidney Mount in his painting, The Power of Music in 1847 (also below). In these and other 19th century illustrations, it is clear that these overalls were literally worn "over all", including over trousers and vests, and not instead of any garments.

During the American Civil War whether you were working in an armory, building a pontoon bridge, shoveling coal on a locomotive or tending to the live stock, overalls were a utilitarian garment that allowed laborers to extend the life of their clothing.

During the month of June 2004, we're offering a special discount on our Workman's Overalls. The overalls we reproduce are based on a Past Patterns pattern and were designed to be worn over your trowsers. Fabric choices include cotton jean (in five colors) or cotton duck in natural. They come with bone buttons and patch pocket. Normally the overalls are $145.00, but this month they will be ONLY $125.00*

Orders will be filled on a first come first serve basis. Delivery on the overalls will take 3-5 weeks and if you have any questions, please contact us at 717-337-2722 or littlegiffen@yahoo.com

Kara Bartels
    Corner Clothiers
    Last edited by paulcalloway; 06-02-2004, 07:50 PM. Reason: fixing bold code

Re: Overall sale from Corner Clothiers

Great work, great pricing and above all great people. This is a chance for civilians and military to round out the details of thier impressions.

Pards,
    S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

I recently bought a pair for my feller's birthday and was very impressed with the finished product. But even more impressive was the customer service we experienced. The pair I had originally ordered was found to be out of stock but instead of having to wait weeks for another, a brand new pair was sewn in a matter of days so it would arrive in time for his birthday. Service like that is becoming a rarity these days....
      [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][FONT=Book Antiqua]Candace Rose
      [/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

I have to back up with Chris and Candace said. The attention to historical detail, dedication to customer service and the pride that Corner Clothiers exhibits in their work should be echoed by every Civil War vendor big and small. They are exactly the reason we should support the smaller vendors in this hobby.

I have seen the overalls that are on sale first hand and can say that the forum members here can buy with confidence that this item is reproduced with skill and care.
        [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

All,
          I have sent customers to Brian and Kara for goods I could not provide and received emails thanking me for "turning them on" to Corner Clothiers. They make excellent goods plain and simple.
          Joseph Hofmann

Comment

We are extending the Workman's Overalls sale through the July 4th weekend!

Several colors and sizes are still available and in stock at the store in Gettysburg. We are located upstairs in the Family Heirloom Weavers building. Stop by and see us!

They will still be just $125 for this weekend. July 5th the overalls return to the regular price of $145.

Kara Bartels
            Corner Clothiers
            www.cornerclothiers.com

Comment

Working...
            X