Mansfield Preservation Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mansfield Preservation Quilt

On April 2, 2004; quality living historians from around the country will meet at Mansfield, Louisiana to recreate the campaigner battalion of the 15th Texas Infantry, Polignac's Brigade, Mouton's Division, Taylor's Army of West Louisiana during the Red River campaign. The purpose of the 15 mile march from Mansfield to Pleasant Hill is to raise funds to help save the historic Mansfield battlefield.
    To that end, Mike Anderson of Anderson Dry Goods is donating a beautiful Mid 1800"s "homespun" utility quilt, as carried by many CW soldiers on both sides. Aprox. size is 58" X 90". Back side is a "homespun" cotton, off-white or light tan in color. Cotton batting between the two outer layers. Top layer is alternating vertical panels of plain "homespun" , then a panel of four-patch blocks set on point. (Similar to quilt on page 29, bottom right, in the book Southern Quilts by Bets Ramsey & Merikay Waldvogel)
    Plain panels are of FHW "homespun", Shenandoah pattern. Hand quilting will be done in the "fan" pattern.

Pictures to the left are portions of the front side.

How it works: Chances are $5 or 3 for $10. Purchase $125 from me and you are automatically entered. Just before the event I will post all the entry forms (which I fill out on this end for you) and will mail them to Mike Anderson who will be attending the event. Mike will then notify the winning party who will either receive the quilt at the event, if they attend, or it will be shipped out by Mike to you. All checks should be made out to Joe Hofmann with Mansfield, LA in the memo line. I will then send a lump sum check to the organizers.
    Below are images of the various patterns and overall bacground material of the quilt. Recerse side will be tan.

This quilt is valued at over $300!

Last edited by JerseySkilletLicker; 01-05-2004, 05:40 PM.
    Joseph Hofmann

Re: Mansfield Preservation Quilt

Ladies and Gentleman, on behalf of all of us working hard to raise funds and preparing to march at Mansfield, I would like to thank Mike for making this donation and Joe for facilitating. I own one of Mike's quilts and it is exact in fidelity to original designs, materials and construction. This will be one special effort by Mike - a documented CW period quilt that would cost you big bucks if you bought it from a quilter or at auction, as they take many hours to make. I believe that quilts are actually under-represented in the hobby, esp in southern climes. Perhaps a better way to say it is - good reproductions are seriously under-represented.

The neat thing about this quilt is it will appeal to folks outside the hobby and we expect a certain enthusiasm from spectators as well as hobbyists at the event and elsewhere. Pass the word to your wives and sweethearts as well...never hurts to market to the better half.

Again, thanks Mike and Joe!

We now have raffles for uniforms, quilts, canteens, shoes, cartridge boxes and preservation donations as part of runs of canteens, blankets, knapsacks and goodness knows what else if this keeps up. 9 different vendors are involved so far. Salute.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Joe-
      What a wonderful item! Do we mail our $$$$ to the address on your website?
      [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][FONT=Book Antiqua]Candace Rose
      [/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Yes ma'am, the address is in the "Terms of Sale" area of my site.
        Thanks!
        Joseph Hofmann

Comment

Working...
        X