X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim Allen retiring from hat making

Originally posted by Tim Allen
    Paul,
    I just wanted to let you fellows know that I am retiring from hat making after 17 years. My current job makes it impossible to keep up and find the time to get the hats out in a timely manner as I use to. I will be accepting orders until June 15th. Whatever I have left in hat bodies after that date, I will make at my leisure and sell at Sperio's shop in Gettysburg. I may see if Chris wants to sell some as well. Thanks again and if I can be of any help to anyone, feel free to give them my email address:
    tahats[at]verizon.net

Best Regards,
    Tim Allen
    I hope you all will join me in thanking Tim for the service he's given to the hobby over the years.

One of my favorite hats is from Tim Allen - got it from Ryan Weddle at some event in Celina, Ohio... bought it in between chigger bites. That was a miserable event but Tim's hat always keeps it fresh in my mind.

We're going to miss you Tim.
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Re: Tim Allen retiring from hat making

Man, that is a big loss to the hobby. No reflection on any other hat makers intended, but my latest hat is from Tim Allen and it is a wonderful piece of workmanship.

Bye Tim, and thank you.

Jonathan Vaughan
    Jonathan Vaughan
    14th Tennessee
    3rd Missouri

Comment

This is a big loss to the hobby. Tim's hats are great. Mine has become old faithful and is what I wear at most events. Heck, it's even in my avatar! Thanks,and We're gonna miss you Tim.
      Regards,
      Last edited by 27thNCdrummer; 06-08-2007, 04:31 PM.
      Andrew Turner
      Co.D 27th NCT
      Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Tim's done a great service to this hobby by providing such quality hats for so many years.

My slouch purchased back in '98, just a few months before the 135th Gettysburg Anniversary was and is my favorite addition to my impression and is still being used as it has for the last 9 years on a monthly basis ! Thanks Tim for the work you have done.
        [FONT=Georgia][/FONT][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"]Dan Biggs[/FONT][/SIZE]

-Member of the Southwest Volunteers Mess

Comment

Now I know another thing that can be buried with me in my grave when I'm gone...

Thanks Mr. Allen!!!
          James Ross

Comment

I have had the pleasure of meeting Tim Allen on only one occasion. I found him to be a real gentleman. We exchanged some "hat stories" and had quite a good time of it. I have always admired his work and am especially fond of his rendition of the "Pogue" hat.

The hobby needs more Tim Allens, not less. I'm truly sorry to see Tim hang up his hat blocks, and can only hope that at some point he will be back.

Good luck to you Tim.

Tim Bender
            T P & H Trading Co
            Timothy Bender

Comment

Depressing but understandable. My first hat when I started ten years ago was a Tim Allen from the early 90s. Sadly, the hat disappeared one day, I think flying out of the back of my friend's truck when leaving Sailor's Creek.

I only owned one hat from Mr. Allen, never having done personal business with him, but have heard nothing but the most positive comments.

Thanks to him and good luck with his future in retirement from being a hatter.
              Sincerely,
              Emmanuel Dabney
              Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
              http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Comment

I echo every ones sentiments! Thanks Mr. Allen for the great Beehive slouch. It has taken on a character of it's own, it's my favorite hat.:D
                [B]Derrick Pugh

Western Independent Grays
                S.C.A.R.[/B]

"Yaller-hammer, Alabama, flicker, flicker, flicker,"
                I felt sorry for the yellow-hammer Alabamians,
                they looked so hacked, and answered back
                never a word." ~Sam Watkins

Comment

My Most favorite of hats I bought from Tim 13 years ago. Broke it in at Tick Ridge.. errr.. I mean Pea Ridge Ark that same year. Its battered and has moth holes now.. but it still looks good

Tim I'll miss ya pard

Ronnie
                  Ronnie Hull
                  Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
                  Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
                  Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
                  2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
                  Before the Breakout September 10-12

Comment

Sorry to hear this and I certainly understand. Tim, provided me with one of the top customer service service experiences I have ever had. After a non-approved, nasty hat-maker tried to screw me over using non-period materials, Tim came to the rescue and had a custom hat on my doorstep in short order. Still have that hat, and think of him every time.

Having somewhat of a hat fetish, sure hope Tim and Clearwater don't decide to bail.

Best Regards, Tim. Sure you will get bombarded with orders here on your way out.
                    Jay Stevens
                    Tater Mess
                    Independent Volunteers
                    Iron Man Mess
                    Reenactor Preservation Coalition
                    Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
                    Lost Tribes, October 2009
                    Bummers, November 2009
                    Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
                    The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
                    In the Van, August 2010
                    Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

I have the same sentiments; I bought my first good hat from him over 10 years ago! I was thinking about ordering another hat from him but I guess its too late now! That is a real bummer to hear. I was hurt that his interests were changing to Vietnam LH…

Jordan Ricketts
                      Jordan Ricketts

Comment

Crud! I'm too late!!!! I need a new hat! I was wondering what happened as I haven't been on this site for a long time. Me sad. I really wanted a Tim Allen hat! What to do now? Hellppp!

your obd't servant,

Rob McFarland
                        Co E Second MD F&D's

Comment

Originally posted by 2MDF&D View Post
                          What to do now? Hellppp!
                          Watch the 'buy, sell, trade' closely. Sooner or later........and realize that anything bigger than your size is a winner as well---simply fold a period newpaper into the hat band until it quits sliding over your ears. :D
                          Terre Hood Biederman
                          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Working...
                          X