Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Material culture at its best....

All,
    Within the next few weeks I will begin printing (and hand signing and numbering) some period currency. These bank notes and township/county script will be like nothing currently available, as I have gained access to original proofs and will be printing them as to appear just like the originals. However, I will be changing the signed names, etc., so that no one is confused.
    Currently, I will have on hand notes from:
    - Texas
    - Tennessee
    - Georgia
    - Louisiana
    - Arkansas
    - Alabama
    - Virginia
    - North and South Carolina
    - Pennslyvania
    - New Jersey
    - New York
    - Missouri
    - Iowa
    - Illinois
    and
    - Kentucky

Are there any specific types of notes that any of ya'll may be interested in that I have not included? These notes will be in limited quantities and will be adjusted dependent on which ones sell. I will make a follow up post when these notes are listed on my instock page.

What better way to improve your impression than to use period currency when you toss dice, play cards, bet on chickens, etc. in a camp situation.
    Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
    Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Re: Material culture at its best....

Originally posted by ohpkirk View Post
    All,
    Within the next few weeks I will begin printing (and hand signing and numbering) some period currency. These bank notes and township/county script will be like nothing currently available, as I have gained access to original proofs and will be printing them as to appear just like the originals. However, I will be changing the signed names, etc., so that no one is confused.
    Currently, I will have on hand notes from:
    - Texas
    - Tennessee
    - Georgia
    - Louisiana
    - Arkansas
    - Alabama
    - Virginia
    - North and South Carolina
    - Pennslyvania
    - New Jersey
    - New York
    - Missouri
    - Iowa
    - Illinois
    and
    - Kentucky

Are there any specific types of notes that any of ya'll may be interested in that I have not included? These notes will be in limited quantities and will be adjusted dependent on which ones sell. I will make a follow up post when these notes are listed on my instock page.

What better way to improve your impression than to use period currency when you toss dice, play cards, bet on chickens, etc. in a camp situation.
    Wow - any chance Cody you could tie production to specific events (within reason?) That would give that added dimension to event realism. This is great.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
      Wow - any chance Cody you could tie production to specific events (within reason?) That would give that added dimension to event realism. This is great.
      Geez Coop, the guys is going to custom print currency for 15 states now we demand specific dates and names on the currency? :)
      [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

I am going to try to get some Tennesse bank notes ready (Nashville, Shelbyville, Knoxville, Clarksville, and Danbridge banks are what I have right now) for Outpost. As time permits I will see what other notes I can get my hands on.
        Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
        Texas State Troops

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Cody:

Virginia Treasury notes, especially the 1862 versions of the $1 and $5. They were heavily used.
          Ley Watson
          POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Cody,
            Will you be printing any fractional notes? I 'll send you an email.

Rick
            Rick Biddle
            Co. A 4th VA Stonewall Brigade
            Co. A 15th TX Texas Ground Hornets

Minion of the Warlord

"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over" - MG William T. Sherman

Comment

Originally posted by CJDaley View Post
              Geez Coop, the guys is going to custom print currency for 15 states now we demand specific dates and names on the currency? :)
              Nah, just put the production in order - i.e, if an AoT 1862-63 event is coming up, print states that would be involved, then the next might be a Virginia event, etc.

The Lazy Jacks made some outstanding Louisiana bank notes that we used for BGR.
              Soli Deo Gloria
              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Here is a section of one of the Louisiana bank notes that will be available shortly.

*note: The color is a little off in the photo
                Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
                Texas State Troops

Wanted.

Comment

Sir-

A run of bills that reflect "local/regional bank" backing and not state-institution backing would be nice in the long run. Don't wanna use my originals. I get so tired of using the farb-looking money in those plastic-window envelopes (you know the type sold at NPS gift shops-yuk:confused_) in my knapsack. Trying to antique them is a pain in the arse too.

Yours- Johnny :D
                  Johnny Lloyd
                  John "Johnny" Lloyd
                  Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                  SCAR
                  Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                  Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                  Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                  Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Regarding the antiquing of reproduction currency, I made a comment once about the new/clean look of period boxes a sutler offered. They appeared too new, not antique like one might expect to see. Someone remarked that the boxes would have appeared new looking back then, since they were made back then, which does make sense.

So, other than the normal wear and tear of currency like we see in our own currency, the reproduction currency shouldn't look a hundred and sixty years old.

Joe Mode
                    Joe Mode

Comment

Hey Cody, I'm intersted in the currency from Tennessee. How did I acquire these goods?

Joe Mode
                      Joe Mode

Comment

Joe-

Clarification: "Antiquing them" meaning making them look like they have see actual circulation use- not making them seem 140+ years old- just even 1 -4 years old or a bit older. The stuff the museum gift shops sell looks too crisp, isn't made on the correct paper as the originals were, and aren't signed with an actual fountain pen as the originals were also. They basically are very good-quality photocopies of the originals, probably done to foil counterfeiters. They don't fold well or "rough-up" well like an actual bill does even after only a few years in-service.

I have some original Colonial shillings (Colony of Pennsylvania- 5 and 16 shilling notes dated 1773 each) printed on extremely pulpy paper and hand-signed. I have repro ones of the same type and they don't match the size/weight/feel of the original bills either.

:) -Johnny
                        Johnny Lloyd
                        John "Johnny" Lloyd
                        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                        SCAR
                        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

For anyone going to Outpost that wants to add that extra addition to their impression- for CS at least- getting some Louisiana and Tennessee notes would be a nice small addition to your kit.
                          Patrick Landrum
                          Independent Rifles

Comment

What kind of paper is used to make these reproductions?
                            David Casey

Comment

The type of paper is dependent on the note. Some of the originals were printed on a 32lb paper, some on a 24lb, and some on a 10-12lb paper, and thusly so are the repros. All of the papers being used have a cotton or linen base.
                              Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
                              Texas State Troops

Wanted.

Comment

Working...
                              X