Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions regarding CJ Daley Historical Reproductions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions regarding CJ Daley Historical Reproductions?

There seems to be much concern about all the changes we've made to the business over the past two months. Rumors and speculation in the ranks and on sutler row have been fantastical so I thought I'd explain why these changes were made.

I've been offered and have accepted a full time position at a museum down in Virginia. While I love my business and my customers, this is a good move for my family and an opportunity I couldn't pass up. As you can imagine, this has made for a very hectic time for me, my family and my customers.

After 11 years of running my business full time I had some hard choices to make. I wasn't sure if I should try to keep the business as a full time entity or close my doors for good. In the end, I chose to scale back and run it as a part time endeavor...I'll explain my reasons later in this post.

What'll stay the same:
    • My commitment to authenticity will not change. That'll NEVER change!
    • The store in Gettysburg will still be open and will be run by Kara at Corner Clothiers.
    • We'll still be attending events on sutler row, although will cut back slightly from years past.

What'll change:
    • My mailing address and phone number have changed.
    • My phone hours have changed dramatically, you'll only be able to reach me between 8-10pm est. I hope everyone understands why I have to limit my hours as my commitment to family and my hours at work are going to make this an important part of keeping the business flowing smoothly.
    • I've stopped taking custom orders.
    • I have scaled back our produce line to a dozen or so items that have been our best sellers in the past and cut out items that never really sold well. For a full list, click here.Changes to our Product Line

What'll improve:
    • Delivery time, despite doing this part time, delivery time WILL go up as I won't be bogged down in custom and back orders. So if something is in stock, we'll be able to get it out quicker.
    • Customer Service. One of the biggest gripes is returned e-mails and phone calls, while I do get back with everyone, at a rate of 70 e-mails a day, it was a huge task, hopefully by not taking custom orders, I'll be able to concentrate on answering your questions about in stock items much quicker.

When will this take place?

Good question. Some of it already has, we are in the process of moving and I've already started working at the museum. Right now my biggest concern is finishing up back orders. I have a few dozen customers who are waiting on orders placed before the September 15th deadline and those people are my PRIMARY concern right now. If you are one of these people, feel free to call me to discuss your order, I really want to hear from you via phone and assure you I have not forgotten about you through this change.

Also, I want your input on how you think I can better serve you as a part time vendor. (this is new territory for me too) Your ideas, comments, concerns, suggestions, complaints and thoughts are important to me and I'd love to get e-mails regarding these changes. Maybe you think I eliminated something you think I should still make? Maybe you think I am offering something nobody wants? What ever it is, please let me know.

Finally, I want to thank the over 4,200 customers who've made the last 11 years so enjoyable for me. As I said before, I love my business dearly and this was not an easy choice to make for me. I've met customers from all over the world and it's one of the reasons I decided to keep running the business in a limited capacity.

We've successfully completed over 10,000 transactions via the mail to those of you who couldn't make it to an event in person, but for those of you whom I've met on Sutler Row, I feel you are a part of my family. The greatest moment in the hobby for me was after the tornado at Spotsylvania in 2004. Scores of customers came to sutler row to help the business people raise our tents and dry out our inventory, that selfless act is something I recall fondly to those in and out of the hobby. When someone says how crazy reenactors are, I tell them that story. And that's the chief reason I couldn't close my doors altogether, I still feel like I owe it to you to stay a bit longer.

This isn't a good bye. I'll be at Cedar Creek on Saturday and Sunday, I'll be in the store on Remembrance Day. I'll be attending events in 2008 and please look to our in-stock page in the coming months as I plan to stock that full once my current back orders are filled.

Thanks for your time.
    [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Re: Questions regarding CJ Daley Historical Reproductions?

Chris:
    I will try to come see you at Cedar Creek next weekend. We have much to discuss and get caught up on. Like The Watchdog, it sounds like you've had to make some difficult choices to adapt to changing circumstances. And while the reasons are no doubt different, you've come to some of the same conclusions. From what I understand, your new position in Virginia involves producing period clothing which sounds like a great fit, no pun intended.

Speaking as one of your 4,200 customers who purchased a sack coat as one of your 10,000 transactions, I applaud your courage to make those tough decisions in an intellectually honest way, and still devote a large portion of your free time to making the hobby better, one garment at a time. Thank you, the hobby is blessed at this point in time to have craftsmen such as yourself making products of uncompromising historical accuracy and quality. We are grateful for the time you are still able to devote to meeting the needs of the community.
    Last edited by Craig L Barry; 10-14-2007, 07:57 AM.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Chris,

Which museum are you now working for in Virginia?
      Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
      (Loblolly Mess)
      [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox View Post
        Chris,

Which museum are you now working for in Virginia?
        I don't want to sound mysterious or rude, but I'd rather not say. My fear is that people would try to contact me at work when they should be calling my business number. Getting business calls at work would be unfair to my co-workers and new employer, let's just say I'll be working between the York and James Rivers. Thanks for understanding.
        [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Chris,

Yes, I totally understand. Best of luck to you and your family. I hope you'll find the time to visit much of the area.

If you're a fan of seafood, then you must take advantage of the local culture between the York and James Rivers. Oysters, Clams, Scallops, Crab, Softshell Crab...etc.

Paul
          Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
          (Loblolly Mess)
          [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

I know my husband has been very happy with the items he's purchased from you. We wish you the best in your new endeavours
            Kimberly Schwatka
            Independent Mess

Comment

Congratulations and Good Luck, my friend!

I know you will be successful and bring a wealth of knowledge to the museum. Take care and see you at Rem. Day!
              Guy W. Gane III
              Casting Director/Owner
              Old Timey Casting, LLC.

Member of:
              49th NYVI Co. B
              The Filthy Mess

Historian since 1982 - Reenactor since birth - Proud Member of the 'A.C.' since September 2004.sigpic

Comment

I am, happy that you have landed on your feet and wish you the utmost sucess in your new endeavour.
                You were very kind to compensate me, for the items that could not be produced, in kind, on my visit to Gettysburg this summer.
                I am still waiting for the large blue contract shirt, that you list in stock now, ordered in April. The stakes I will write off.
                Erik Simundson
                Erik Simundson

Comment

Chris, Pam and I wish you and your family the very best of luck. We will see ya at Cedar Creek.
                  John Barr
                  2nd Delaware

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    I am, happy that you have landed on your feet and wish you the utmost sucess in your new endeavour.
                    You were very kind to compensate me, for the items that could not be produced, in kind, on my visit to Gettysburg this summer.
                    I am still waiting for the large blue contract shirt, that you list in stock now, ordered in April. The stakes I will write off.
                    Erik Simundson
                    Just got the buttonholes left to finish on the shirt and will be shipped to you along with a refund on the tent stakes.

Comment

Mr. Daley

I ordered a NY state jacket from you just before you changed to your in stock only status. You advised me that you the jacket size I ordered was sold but you cutting a new one in a few days. Could you give me a status? Thanks

P.S.

Still getting a lot of complientments on my great coat you made for me, it is my favorite piece of my uniform.
                      Ernie Manzo
                      Co. C, 1st USSS (NCWA)

Comment

Originally posted by sharpshooter View Post
                        Mr. Daley

I ordered a NY state jacket from you just before you changed to your in stock only status. You advised me that you the jacket size I ordered was sold but you cutting a new one in a few days. Could you give me a status? Thanks

P.S.

Still getting a lot of complientments on my great coat you made for me, it is my favorite piece of my uniform.
                        Your coat was not in stock when you ordered it, I have your coat 90% done, I just need to put the sleeves on and close the lining.

EVERYONE:
                        Please do not check the status of your order on the forums or via PM. Literally only have 15 minutes per day to check e-mail and I will not be frequenting these forums every day, if you leave a message here it may go for weeks without a reply.

My phone number and e-mail are listed on every post I make here and on every page of my website.

Comment

Mr. Daley,
                          I placed a $200 order for a sack coat from you mid April of 2007, with a personel promise, from you, of delivery before Memorial Day weekend for a Unit event. This was not a "custom" order, but a style and size that you showed as "in stock" on your web-site. After multible e-mails on my part, and multible excuses on your part, I still do not have the coat, or the refund you promised a month ago. Please do not think I am checking on the "status" of my "order". As I have written off this coat, and the $200 as a re-enacting loss.
                          Good Luck in your new job, and in down gradeing your reproductions to "in stock only". Hopefully this will help you avoid making promises you don't intend to keep. I just feel that if you took peoples money, with a promise of goods to be delivered in a timely manner, then those customers should have gotten more than just a "thread" on this forum as to what was going on.
                          Paul Bennett
                          Tiger Rifles
                          "In the heat of battle it ceases to be an idea for which we fight... or a flag. Rather... we fight for the man on our left and we fight for the man on our right... and when armies have scattered and when the empires fall away... all that remains is the memory
                          of those precious moments... we spent side by side."

Paul Bennett

Comment

Your coat was shipped to you this summer and I e-mailed you a copy of the receipt proving I did.

Comment

Working...
                            X