Open Letter to AC Forum Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Letter to AC Forum Members

Below is a letter I wrote back in December. I chose not to publish at that time as I felt people would see it as a list of excuses, but I'm publishing it now in hopes of giving everyone an insider's view into my situation.

AC Forum Members:

I appreciate your frustration and impatience with my customer service lately and I’m posting this letter here to help you understand what is going on with me and my business.

This September I accepted a job with a living history museum in Virginia. I took this job after much thought about the future of my family and the future of my business, it wasn’t an easy choice, but in the end, I feel it was the right course for me to take. At that time, I took certain steps to change the business format:
    1. NO NEW ORDERS: The day I accepted the position I posted an announcement on all relevant forums and on my website that I was no longer going to take new orders after 9/15/07. I did this to give everyone enough time to place any orders they were planning on placing and to give a grace period to my long time and loyal customer base. I set the deadline so I could work on current back orders. I felt I owed it to customers to give them once last chance before I cut them off from custom orders.
    2. REDUCED PRODUCT LINE: On 9/16/07 I eliminated about 80 different items from my offerings. These items were eliminated for a variety of reasons including profit margin and popularity. After the current orders are complete, I hope to build a solid inventory and concentrate on only a few key items.
    3. PHONE HOURS: Once I started the new job, I set up phone hours: Monday-Friday 8pm-10pm. With the job and the commute, these are the times I can guarantee being near the phone to take your call. However, as Paul Calloway pointed out, these hours are your family time hours. I appreciate that -- they are my family hours as well. (I'm still not sure how to get around that.)

I tried the best I could on the short notice I had to come up with a plan which would allow me to slow down the business, work on back orders, reduce paperwork and keep in contact with you.

Imagine pulling on the emergency brake at 70mph – the car will slow down, but it ain’t pretty. After 11 years of running the business at full speed, I am suddenly pulling the emergency brake. I’ve never tried running this business while holding a full-time job, and here are some of the issues I face that are directly affecting you:
    1. YOU HAVE MAIL :)…AND LOTS OF IT! :( At 70+ e-mails a day (after spam), my in box quickly grew to almost 1,000. I tried to organize them into categories and priorities as best I could, but I don’t have much time to spend on the computer. I don’t have access to personal e-mail during the day and am limited to checking e-mails only a few hours at night. These are the same hours during which I am sewing your orders and answering your phone calls. I made a choice to concentrate on catching up on your orders instead of catching up on e-mail. Sewing machine vs. computer. Tough choice, and I’m still not sure what the best solution is. Not an excuse, just an insiders look into what’s going on.
    2. PRODUCTION SLOW DOWN: New job, switching schools, selling a house, moving, the retail store, Cedar Creek, Remembrance Day and supply problems are some of the obstacles I’ve run into while attempting to catch up on your orders. I had planned to have all orders caught up by December 31st, but as the weeks wore that deadline vanished. What I would normally spend 10 hours a day on, was now reduced to 2. Pattern drafting, cutting, sewing, pressing, packing, shipping, bookkeeping, website updates, e-mails, phone calls and purchasing from vendors was all compacted into a small space. It’s like putting 5 silly putty balls into 1 egg. Again, not an excuse, just an insiders look into what’s going on.
    3. MISSED DEADLINES: I’ve always had missed deadlines, but not like in the last few months. While I did make some people happy at The Outpost gig, Chickamauga and other events, there were far more people at those events still waiting on stuff to arrive. I would tell a customer something would ship, then get delayed in finishing the garment, or run out of buttons, or get caught up at work and not get to the post office during my lunch break. I didn’t mean to miss those deadlines, I just couldn’t keep them for a variety of reasons. Customer service has never been my strong suit. After 11 years, 10,000+ transactions and over 4,000 customers, I would argue that the vast majority of those were long in getting to customers. I appreciate your patience, I’m a reenactor too and I know what it’s like to wait and wait for a garment and look in the mail box every day. It sucks. I honestly had no intention of “lying” to people about delivery dates and tried very hard to meet those dates and deadlines. I just didn’t in most circumstances. Again, not an excuse, just an insiders look into what’s going on.
    4. MULTIPLE ORDERS: One major problem I didn’t anticipate was how quickly stuff would sell once I wasn’t doing this full time. I couldn’t keep up with online sales and update the website quickly enough. For example, 3 people bought the same size 50 NYS jacket within hours of each other. (Since then, I’ve taken down all the ‘add to cart’ and ‘buy it now’ buttons on my website. I’ve also taken down my in stock page until I have more time to maintain it properly.) Again, not an excuse, just an insiders look into what’s going on.

Looking ahead:
    1. PLEASE USE THE PHONE: Please consider calling me vs. e-mail, PM or posting online. I know some of you spend a lot of time due to your work situation and personal life on the internet. There is much that can be done in this hobby on the internet, but for me, my computer time is limited. I have phone hours which are listed below. If I don’t pickup during those hours, it’s usually because I’m on the phone with another customer, but leave a message.
    2. DON’T LIKE THE SOUND OF MY VOICE? If you choose not to call me, please understand that I will return your e-mail and PM, but it may take some time. In your initial e-mail, please be very specific with your question – I can answer you more quickly when I have everything I need to check on your order: your full name, exactly what you ordered, when you placed that order, and when I can best reach you.
    3. FORUMS: I understand the desire to use the forums to communicate and vent your frustration, but there are hundreds of chat rooms and forums out there and I just don’t have time to check in to every one. If you choose to start a thread about me, it may take me some time to respond.
    4. SUGGESTIONS: I’ve always been behind on orders. Since the day I started in August of 1996 I’ve always had more orders than time. I’m all ears guys, if you can figure out how I can satisfy your needs and not get fired from my job or get a divorce, I need to hear it. Tailor, cutter, seamster, salesman, webmaster, bookkeeper, packer, shipper, receiver, receptionist, customer service rep and purchasing agent are all the hats I wear here. I would really prefer to spend all my time behind the sewing machine catching up on orders, but if anyone can give me a thought as to how I can better serve you, I’d like to hear it. Seriously.

Call me, or tell me when I can call you. You can reach me between 8-10 pm est, Monday-Friday at 757-229-2834.

Best of luck to you all in 2008,
    Christopher J. Daley
    [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Re: Open Letter to AC Forum Members

Best of luck to you friend! You wear a lot of hats.

Ronnie
    Ronnie Hull
    Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
    Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
    Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
    2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
    Before the Breakout September 10-12

Comment

Originally posted by lthull3rdla View Post
      Best of luck to you friend! You wear a lot of hats.

Ronnie
      At least his head doesn't get cold.

Chris, I feel your pain. If you figure out how to do it and not get fired/divorced, publish it and let the rest of us know the magic secret that has eluded us for so long.
      Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
      WIG/GVB
      In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

"This too will EVENTUALLY pass". Just keep repeating that to yourself and don't stress about it.
        Jeff Lawson
        2nd Vermont, Co. E

Comment

Chris, you know what I think about your work (even though I couldn't order as much as I would have liked) and I've always admired your integrity and the fact that you stand up for folks in a public forum as well, so thanks for that open letter and I wish you nothing but the best this year and the future and hope that new job is just what you hoped for.
          Ross L. Lamoreaux
          rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

You should always put your family first! I am glad to hear you are doing that! Keep up the great work and Enjoy your life change you should always go at your pace!
            Drew Ingram
            7th NJ CO A
            2nd Battalion
            6th Marines
            WIA: FALLUJAH, IRAQ

Comment

Thanks for your comments boys. I agree family comes first and by taking this job, I've met my commitment to my family.

But I also have a commitment to my loyal customers who've placed orders with me in good faith. I'm keeping that commitment, but I appreciate every one's frustration with me and I hope that I'm not giving the AC Vendor program a bad name.
              [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

I just wanted to say that I have waited in the past for Chris' goods and they are absolutely worth every day I had to wait. I just bought a used CJ Daley fatigue blouse off the AC and I couldnt stop admiring the work. Keep up the good work Chris and thanks for taking the time out of your schedule to keep suppling the hobby with great products.
                Gregory Randazzo

Gawdawful Mess http://www.gawdawfulmess.com
                John Brizzay Mess
                SkillyGalee Mess
                http://skillygalee-mess.blogspot.com/

"The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states." Charles Dickens, 1862

“These people delight to destroy the weak and those who can make no defense; it suits them.” R.E. Lee referring to the Federal Army.

Comment

Originally posted by BishopLynch View Post
                  I just wanted to say that I have waited in the past for Chris' goods and they are absolutely worth every day I had to wait. I just bought a used CJ Daley fatigue blouse off the AC and I couldnt stop admiring the work. Keep up the good work Chris and thanks for taking the time out of your schedule to keep suppling the hobby with great products.
                  Thanks for the compliments. I don't think it's the wait anyone had problems with, it was the lack of response to e-mails that was everyone's major complaint. I would say that nearly 100% of my customers over the last decade have waited for items to be produced, but when people didn't get a response to e-mails, they began to worry.

Comment

Chris is a class guy who has always been honest in his dealings. I'm sure he will work through the bugs. It's a tough loss to the hobby having him working full-time, but life is a series of arcs. Good luck, Mr. D.
                    Bill Cross
                    The Rowdy Pards

Comment

CJ Daley is right, he has always missed deadlines. I still smile when I think back on the JT Martin sack he made for me in 2004 when he just insisted it would be by such and such a date. Which if I am not mistaken was two weeks (an absurdly short period of time), and I said, "Well just in case there are delays, I am ordering well in advance, I just need it by October". This was July. He always was a little full of himself and wasn't going to let me have the last word on it, and to make his point reiterated the original date quoted in two weeks...And then missed it by two months, or maybe three. I know I didn't have the coat much before October, but I had it by the time I needed it. There was never any doubt on my part.

Chris Daley was never a hard to guy to find and neither am I. Hence, it never bothered me all that much, other than the amusement factor. And that jacket looked good from the first time I wore it, and every time since. I tried to make one myself earlier this year and I now have an even greater appreciation for his skill as a tailor. Nice "open letter", too. Good comrade, we are lucky to have the items produced by CJ Daley.
                      Last edited by Craig L Barry; 01-28-2008, 05:09 PM.
                      Craig L Barry
                      Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                      Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                      Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                      Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Working...
                      X