Nothing can keep you warm at Winter of '64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing can keep you warm at Winter of '64

Nothing can keep you warm at Winter of '64.

But a few items can go a long way in the effort.

One of them is the Nightcap in the French Style

Pictured here on Rob Murray's head, one style of this cap is documented for the mid-19th century time period in The Ladies Self Instructor In Millinery and Mantua Making, Embrodery and Applique (1853)

This hat has a longer history though--its also a fine 18th century clothing item, documented in numerous period paintings, as well as in the excavated French ship, the Machaut. This type of cap was worn by French Voyageurs in the 18th century, and continued to be worn by French Canadians in the early 19th century. The original was recovered from the shipwreck of The Machault, which sank in June of 1760 in the battle of Chaleur Bay.

These caps contain as much as a half pound of hand knitted wool yarn, and are shaped as a near to yard long cocoon when first produced. The cap can then be fulled with hot water and soap to produce a thick fabric. The two ends are folded into each other, and the cap is worn double thickness, with the fold over the ears being four layers of wool.

As with all my products, period natural dyes are used to dye the 100% wool yarns.

Two caps are available.

The first cap is light brown with a blue undertone, dyed with fermented walnut. For those who like their apparel to look more used, the cap is also 'crudely mended ' per the 18th century documentation, with some indigo yarn. The cap is heavily fulled, and does not have a tassel.

The second cap is a medium indigo blue, with variations in the indigo depth of color. This cap is currently 'on the needles', and will not be fulled before the event as they take about a week to dry. Still, a good warm hat, with a 'new, sent from home' appearance. With time, the hat may stretch and grow to the point that the owner may wish to have the hat fulled and shrunk. The hat may be sent back at no charge for this process. Tassel may be added to this item at no charge, but no tassel is mentioned in the 19th century documentation. The tassel is easily removable making the hat useful in either century.

Cost is $150, paid via Paypal, with delivery either by hand at event, or via US Priority Mail. Reserve yours by writing me at thlawson@bellsouth.net.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Spinster; 02-10-2008, 10:49 PM.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Re: Nothing can keep you warm at Winter of '64

So thats what Rob Murray looks like? Everyone told me he looked like Fabio.

P.S. Nice lookin hat.
    Grant Wilson

Comment

Folks this hat is a steal. If you want to stay warm at a cold weather event, this hat is part of the solution. (90% of your body heat escapes through your head) There is not just one layer of wool but two. I wore this hat at OP3 and stayed warm those 2 frosty nights. This is also my every day winter hat (current temp -11) and has kept me warm this winter. This hat will be making the trek to Winter of 64 with me. I'll be warm. Will you?
      Rob Murray

Comment

Grant,

Amazingly enough, Rob does look like Fabio when not otherwise impeded by this hat.

There is just something about this particular item of head gear. Rob's teenage children refuse to be seen with him when he's got it on--and what parent is really doing a good job of raising childen if they are not embarrassing those children on a consistent basis? My own Darling Daughter, now through grad school, sez mine makes me look like a demented bag lady. My Mama, on the other hand, pronounced it 'the prettiest thing you've made', asked for and got one of her own, which sat on the sideboard in her formal living room so she could show it off to company, right up to the day she died. Being a right flashy 80 year bleached blonde, I think she wore it once, saw the effect in the mirror, and snatched it right back off.

You've seen Rob. Here's Fabio in a bad hat.
        Attached Files
        Terre Hood Biederman
        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic

Comment

The 2nd picture of me has "the hat from hell" pulled over my forage cap, which is why I look incredibly goofy.
          Mrs. L's not lying. If you want to be shed of your teenage children, this is the hat for you.
          The first cap is light brown with a blue undertone, dyed with fermented walnut. For those who like their apparel to look more used, the cap is also 'crudely mended ' per the 18th century documentation, with some indigo yarn. The cap is heavily fulled, and does not have a tassel.
          I saw this hat in Nashville a couple of weekends ago and it looked warmer (if that is possible) that the one that I own.
          Rob Murray

Comment

Rob, That's because that hat is even more heavily fulled than yours.

Terry Sorchy fingered it with a glazed look in his eyes, but he'd already spent all his money on yarns from my basket before he caught sight of that hat. Being unfamilar with the fulling process, he thought it was made on the little teensy wire needles he'd seen Nancy Troxel using in recent years.

The reality was that the hat was made on US #5 woodens over a decade ago, and dyed with one of the first batches of 'wartime shortage' black walnut hull dyepots I ran. With time and wear, these hats stretch out, and then need a good fulling to keep them from falling down to cover the chin.

This is done using strong soap, hot water and a scrub board. The soap, water and agitation serves to shrink the wool, thicken it, increase its water and wind resistance, and return it to a wearable shape. It also allows for needed mending to be cobbled into the hat and become a thick firm part of the fabric. In the process, the stitches shrink, thus Terry's idea that the hat had been worked on very small needles.

Sister dubbed these the "hat from hell" a number of years back, as I am "research and developement", and she is "production". I work out patterns, make about 3 of something in the process, then hand them to her and say "We've got orders for 12 and I need them in 30 days". This became the "hat from hell" in her book because of the endless mindnumbing same stitch knitting in it. She also traded one for a nice little motor scooter after she retired, so some things do work out nicely.

Rob's hat has been through its first fulling. This walnut hat has just completed its third fulling. Its seen a long and happy life on my head, its most famous adventure being a little jaunt through WarWoman Pass, with a few women and children attempting to flee ahead of pursuing troops. Men were carried out of that snowy shambles on cobbled stretchers. Sister and I toddled out, arm in arm under our own power.

So, why is this honorable hat leaving my head after all this time? Well, there's that hat I made for Mama sitting on the sideboard. I can't very well sell the hat I made for my late Mama, and I'm sure not going to let it gather dust on the sideboard. Time for it to get out of the box and make its own stories.

And time for my hat to go to another head that is not afraid to push the envelope for a little adventure in a world grown too safe and secure.
            Terre Hood Biederman

sigpic

Comment

Having served with Rob at BGR for several days, I find references to him and Fabio being long-lost relations hurtful as I saw no such similarity. The one exception might be when Rob stepped into that sinkhole that came up almost to his hip (we all know Fabio walks with a gimp leg).

Many here are unaware that in his younger years Rob was heavily involved in the television industry. Money made, he retired to the balmy and solubrious climate just south of the Canadian border.

Though he looks deravishing in Mrs. Lawson's fine knit-goods I have attached an image of his younger years, minus the sleeping cap.

Kind regards,
              Attached Files
              Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

I can just see my kids recoiling in horror as I come to pick them up wearing that hat! But then, they are used to seeing me running about town in a RD II Jacket and blue jeans! :D
                Frank Perkin

Comment

Working...
                X