Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canteen Lantern/Stoves From TMD Co & Geo.MacGillis

Hi All,

Trans-Mississippi Depot Co. and Goldendale Tinsmith (Geo. MacGillis)

Are proud to announce a 15 item run of a unique and period accurate Soldier made Canteen Lantern/Stove!

Copied from specifications from an original dug in the Federal Camps at Fredreicksberg. The original is in the Newton Mass, Armed Forces Museum.

It is photographed and seen in the book "Civil War Canteens" By Stephen W. Sylvia and Michael J. O'Donnell" Page 122.

The canteen body is on its side with 3 lead bullets for feet, and a piearced fruit can solded on with a cut out to access the wick/ candle holder (see pics below)

The stove opperates on either lamp oil or a candle. The canteen body acts a a reseviour for the oil & will keep a cup of coffee warm on top while it gives light to a hut or tent.

An initial 15 are made ( and numbered) cost is $95 each plus $5 For shipping

These are a fantastic item for that camp impression, or to fill a spot in a collection of a documented soldier made items. Get yours today!

Canteens Stoves are sold through

Trans Mississippi Depot Company

209 W Spur Drive
    Cottonwood Az 86326

(928) 649 1395

Visa & Mastercard accepted

I look forward to hearing from you

All the best

Don S
    Attached Files
    Don F Smith

Re: Canteen Lantern/Stoves From TMD Co & Geo.MacGillis

That is possibly the coolest little piece of ingenuity I have ever seen.
    Santiago Luis Montalvo
    Unaffiliated (on college leave)
    [email]cwsoldier6165@yahoo.com[/email]

Comment

Awesome piece! I am just curious about how awkward it would have been to pack it. For a semi permanent camp situation it would be perfect but for a campaign impression I wonder its use? But once again, awesome piece!
      [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="2"][I]Shawn Dyer
      1st OVI Co. A
      Lancaster Guards[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Hi All,

This little stove was made in a static camp and discarded once the winter camp broke up. It more than likely was not packed on the march.

The originals are the result of men needing an item while in camp for a few months. After it's use was over, they were simply pitch into the trash heap. where the original was dug

All the best

Don S
        Don F Smith

Comment

Originally posted by 1stOVIGuard View Post
          I am just curious about how awkward it would have been to pack it. For a semi permanent camp situation it would be perfect but for a campaign impression I wonder its use?
          This is not an item that would have commonly been carried, if carried at all, outside of camp. Rather, it is a piece that represents the resourceful nature of some soldiers whilst emerged in camp life. Don points out in his brief description of the item that, "These are a fantastic item for that camp impression[...]," and that's exactly what they are.

Would have been ideal for W64 I do believe.

Comment

Don,

That stove/lantern would have been great at I-600. Woodburn had to burn wood on my plate.

RM
            Rod Miller
            [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
            A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
            1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
            1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
            1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
            1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
            Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
            1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
            Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Don,
              Outstanding item, sir! My hat is off to you for the research and craftsmanship that went into this project. I hope you still have some left when the Federal rebate checks start coming out :)
              -Joe Bordonaro
              Joe Bordonaro

Comment

Originally posted by pvtbordonaro View Post
                Don,
                Outstanding item, sir! My hat is off to you for the research and craftsmanship that went into this project. I hope you still have some left when the Federal rebate checks start coming out :)
                -Joe Bordonaro
                Hi Joe,

The thanks should go to George MacGillis.

George MacGillis is the skilled maker behind bringing this project to life.

He and I talked about the canteen stoves being made, I helped with some very minor technical issues.

All the best

Don S
                Don F Smith

Comment

Don,
                  Well, please pass my compliments on to Mr. MacGillis. He obviously went to the right person for help with his project.
                  -Joe Bordonaro
                  Joe Bordonaro

Comment

Don,that is one of the coolest things I have seen.If I had the money,I'd get one.

I say another reason they were made was the simple matter that the troops needed something to do.John Jackman talks about in the winter of 1864 at Dalton,the 1st KY Brigade spent nearly a month and half not drilling or doing parades because of how poor the weather was.I could imagine that if it was in northern VA or Mass,the winters would be worst then GA.You can only read the same book,the same magazine,the same newspaper so many times.Got to pass the time somehow.If you're in a place where wood might be hard to obtain,yet you need to keep yourself warm,this would be a good way to do it.
                    This is just a theory,though.
                    Cullen Smith
                    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Is this a Hot dipped Canteen and Can?

Sam Hayle
                      Trash Heep Mess

Comment

Amazing ingenuity! What a cool little stove.
                        Frank Perkin

Comment

So,

having been in the lead casting business for many a year, I'd like to know how those bullets were fastened onto the canteen. Seems to me to be a tad unlikely they were soldered, given the low melting temp of lead. Way kewl item, however. Seriously.

FWIW, Another soldier-made item that I found interesting was a frying pan made out of a smoothside canteen half and a fork. The fork was wood handled, and the tines were apparently ground off and the fork then rivitted onto the canteen half at the spout cut out with 2 rivits. I saw this many years ago at the Gburg show. It was a dug piece, and badly corroded, but still and all you could make out what it was.

Respects,
                          Tim Kindred
                          Medical Mess
                          Solar Star Lodge #14
                          Bath, Maine

Comment

Originally posted by Material Culture View Post
                            Is this a Hot dipped Canteen and Can?

Sam Hayle
                            Trash Heep Mess
                            Hi Sam

The entire run of 15 is made from Tin Dipped Canteens with a tin can that is Electroplated (Period term from the 1858 copy of Ure's Dictionary of Arts and Mines Vol 1 is "Electropherometalergy")

The process is much the same as it was, and was an established practice for the mass produced tin for tin cans as well as some canteens and other items as it was less expensive than dipping or wiping tin ( I own an original New York canteen and an original boiler that are both electroplated)

These canteen stoves are all consistant with what has been found and what was produced by the soldier

Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions

All the best

Don S
                            Last edited by D F Smith Historic; 02-19-2008, 12:03 PM. Reason: Correction to information on product
                            Don F Smith

Comment

Originally posted by 1stMaine View Post
                              So,

having been in the lead casting business for many a year, I'd like to know how those bullets were fastened onto the canteen. Seems to me to be a tad unlikely they were soldered, given the low melting temp of lead.
                              Hi Tim,

Using a period soldering iron . it would be a snap to do as the lead and the tin plate would melt together quickly, Given the fact that a coper soldering iron is pointed , one can get into a tight space & soilder small spots and objects

Don S
                              Don F Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X