Dell's Leather Works...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell's Leather Works...

Who of us out there owns some of Dell's Leather Works' goods? Anyone happen to own one of their ground cloths? What are the reviews?

Re: Dell's Leather Works...

I own a double bag knapack that I got when I first entered the hobby. It's held up very well and seems to be of correct manunfacture. As I recall, they were nice people to deal with.
    Frank Perkin

Comment

I have a few items from him. I have a belt which is nice, but not as nice as the one I've gotten from Duvall. He does have a nice variety of items though. I have a nice Pioneer hatchet sling of his and a notebook. I'm not expert on leather and the period techniques that were used, but he does try and cite where he finds examples for his products. I also have had quick service with them
      Matt Lovejoy

Comment

Hi,

While I have never owned any of his items, I have seen alot of them in person. They look pretty good, but I am not expert in leatherworks. But the general shapes and look of the itmes seem to follow the originals that I have seen.

Andrew
        Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Hallo!

Moderator hat on...

In accordance with AC Forum standards and policy- could we please post on the Gold Standard of how well do these products relate to originals in terms of:

1. Period Raw Materials
          2. Period patterns, models, and forms
          3. Period methods of construction

and then move on to modern issues like customer service, responsiveness, processing time, etc., etc.,

Thanks.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I made the ones that he has on his site several years ago. I did some more researched and got a copy of the original Federal Quartermasters Specifications and I switched to a lighter weight of drill or canvas (8 oz). I went up on my price because I started putting more time into them. I would cut my drill down to 28.5" in width and adding two pieces to make the oil cloth. I also used the correct grommets and hems. I did sell some of the higher end cloths to Dells Leather Works. The weight went down to about 2 pounds as opposed to 4 pounds by using the lighter weight cloth. Still just as waterproof. The ones on his site are not the ones that I make now but they are still OK.
            Claude Sinclair
            Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Claude, I bought a ground cloth several years ago from Dell so it must be one of the one's you made. I think it is first rate and has held up beyond my expectations.
              John Barr
              2nd Delaware

Comment

I have 2 of his groundcloths, and am very pleased with the attention to period correct details. They have held up beyond my expectations, and expect both to last me many, many more seasons.
                Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Working...
                X