Needle & Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needle & Thread

I heard rumor from Remembrance Day that Needle & Thread was going out of business. I cringed at the thought of this. Can anyone tell me if this is false information?
    Ted Siljowicz

Re: Needle & Thread

Have you considered giving them a call?

Sometimes it's best to get the word from the source, vice relying on rumors or second hand speculation.
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Needle & Thread
      2215 Fairfield Rd.
      Gettysburg, PA 17325

phone:
      1-717-334-4011

fax:
      1-717-334- 1819

Please call between 9:30am and 6:00pm EST, Monday through Saturday
      Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I had considered giving them a call. I also have their contact information. I also considered that it might seem rude to them to :

A. Ask them such a personal question about their business directly, as I am not a friend or business partner.

B. Maybe there is more to the story, such as the ownership may be selling, retiring, etc., but someone else may be taking over or buying the business from them; running it in the same manner, and someone on this forum might know.
        Last edited by JimKindred; 11-30-2008, 03:39 PM.
        Ted Siljowicz

Comment

Nice rumor, it ain't true.

They are closed on Tuesdays and Sundays so if you call an they don't pick up, don't spread a rumor they've gone belly up.

I had a bunch of people come into my tent at Cedar Creek telling me I was going out of business. That was news to me, but helped me come up with a new ad slogan"

CJ Daley, "Going Out of Business Since 1996"
          [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Not trying to spread rumors, more like trying to get to the bottom of it. I am more than relieved that they are sticking around. There are so few choices for quality fabric around.

Chris,
            Thank you for the info. I would count on you as a reliable source of info, since you are next door to them.
            Also, couldn't the slogan, "Going out of business since 1996", be used by a lot of craftsmen in this hobby? God knows, it is hard to pay the bills on sutler wages. I wonder if you told your congressman that you were on the verge of chapter 11, would they include you in the bailout package :)
            Ted Siljowicz

Comment

Terence,

Speaking as a vendor, I would appreciate a direct call when someone hears a rumor such as this ten times over them posting the rumor publicly in a forum that many of my customers frequent. I think that "getting to the bottom of it" could have been accomplished much more effectively in a thirty second phone call than posting a public query, and when folk's livelihood is on the line I can guarantee that they would always appreciate more discreet and direct methods of finding information.

Best,

Dan
              Dan Wambaugh
              Wambaugh, White, & Company
              www.wwandcompany.com
              517-303-3609
              Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Terrence:

I'll second what Chris and Dan have said. Anyone who hears that a vendor is going out of business, please, please call that vendor directly and just say "I heard a rumor, which I hope isn't true, that you are going out of business." Nothing offensive in that, and if it turns out to be true, you can offer your regrets. In any case, you've found out "from the source" what the truth is.

Just to be clear, I'm still in business. Not that anyone asked, but still.

I've been hard to reach recently because several family members are in the midst of various health-related problems. My real world work is with the State Department of Health, and I've been involved with health insurance issues for a long time, so I'm the go-to person for help with stuff like that.

But it doesn't mean that I won't get back to you -- just a bit of a delay right at the moment.

Sincerely,
                Karin Timour
                Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
                Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
                Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Comment

The rumors are true: I am out of business

HOWEVER

I am selling items on Ebay. Mostly books of note (not used) as well as magazines (some back issues that are, indeed, previously read), and new back issues of Gettysburg magazine (coming in the next day or two).
                  I will also have first rate goods once in awhile as I still have relationships with some vendors who want to get a few items to market.

Anywho, I don't have an ebay store but you can click on any of my listings for a complete summary of items which is growing as we speak.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE:IT&ih=019

This mostly came about when I went to a GIANT Barnes & Noble to look at some newer releases I was interested in and found their CW section was way less than 1/2 of what it used to be! Not one book I was looking for was there!

So, if you have a moment swing by and take a look, I take Pay Pal primarily but can also accept a M.O. if you shoot me an email about it.

Thanks and happy holidays to all my fellow out of business pals!
                  Joseph Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by 55th VVI View Post
                    I wonder if you told your congressman that you were on the verge of chapter 11, would they include you in the bailout package :)
                    Without getting into a political debate, that's a conversation I'd never have even if I really were going out of business since 1996. :)

There is no place in the constitute to bail out private industry (including sutlers), nor is there any place for the Government to give out charity to sutlers or others.

I'm sure the historians on the forums have all read Davy Crockett's "Not yours to Give" speech, but for those who haven't, just google "Not yours to give" by David Crockett and you'll see what I mean.
                    [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                    X