J.H. Berger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J.H. Berger

Just wanted to give a shoutout to my pard J.H. Berger (www.lederarsenal.com) and his products. My Federal leathers and shoes were made by him, and especially his Jefferson bootees have served me more than well through all the events I have done yet. Authentic materials, pattern, and construction, lightweight, comfortable, and no blisters whatsoever. I can only recommend them!
    Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
    Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Re: J.H. Berger

Benedict,

Thank you for the link. I really liked his shoes. Thank you for showing his items while you were here at bummers.

Brent Brumagin
    Brent Brumagin

Comment

I got a pair of Jan's brogans this year and have worn them to every event, except after IPW. I am very impressed with the pattern and construction! The shoes are very light weight and well-made. I have some funky feet and Jan's shoes fit me well and have caused me no blisters. I am a fan of Jan's work!

Here are a couple of pics of Jan's brogans (when they were new) next to my former pair.
      Attached Files
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Many leathers equipment of the French Mess guys comes from Jan, we have never had complain about the quality and about the commercial common sense of Jan, we also advise ;)
        William Miconnet
        French Mess
        AES
        BGR & IPW Survivor
        Never ever give up!
        In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
        I believe!

Comment

I wanted to take a moment to add some praise to this thread. After being very pleased with the purchase of a pair of brogans, I decided to try out Jan's gum blanket. It weighs about a third of any on the market, and I would put it at the top of any gum blanket reproduced. The scrap of gum blanket material I've handled compared very well to Jan's work. You will hardly notice this rubber blanket in your pack on the march. Great material, and its not like the sutler row ones that are held together with rubber cement. Jan had these vulcanized! He also added the unique feature of paired eyelets on one side like some of the originals. The maker stamp is also a top notch ink stamp. Thanks to Jan for offering such a great product!
          Wade Rogers

Comment

I have seen his site recommended from those reenacting other periods. Question: while his site is in German (and I assume I can put the text in a translator to get more info), what have you found as the best way to order? What payment method did you find best?
            Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
            Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
            Former Mudsill
            Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

I've corresponded with Jan by e-mail and paid by PayPal. No problema! ;)
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Thanks guys, Jan dropped me an e-mail and explained all I could want to know. Great person!
                Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
                Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
                Former Mudsill
                Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

I just recently bought a gum blanket from him and I'm very, very happy with it. He was excellent with customer service and delivery. I highly recommend Jan.
                  Andy Mouradian
                  JayBirds Mess

"Snap it up, shake the lead."

[IMG]http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m400/westernreb/JaybirdMess-2.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                  X