Cantrell Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cantrell Boots

Has anyone had any experience with Cantrell Boots? I have never heard anything about them and while their products look top rate, I would like to hear feedback from anyone who has dealt with them. I apologize if this vendor is already known or has been discussed, but I was unable to find anything on them.

Here is their website for reference: http://www.cantrellboots.com/index.html
    Lewis M Robinson Jr
    Armory Guards
    Snake Nation Disciples

"They were the dirtiest men I ever saw. A most ragged lean and hungry set of wolves. Yet there was a dash about them that the northern men lacked." Maryland Resident upon seeing the Confederate Army

Re: Cantrell Boots

Lewis,

Havent had any dealings with the man, but I have seen this man post on the shoemakers forum. I believe he claims to have been a trained shoemaker, not self taught as alot of people are. His shoe lasts, and products look pretty darn good, but not having examined his work up close I couldnt tell you. Hes a little pricey on his brogans and boots. But he has some pretty cool details from the photos. Small heels, and narrow waist, double row of pegs and nice overall contour of the shoe.

Nice to have another shoemaker around, I think the MJN website is down so I dont know if Mick is still making footwear.

My two cents worth.

Ken Irvin
    The Skulkers Mess
    Ken Irvin

Comment

Lewis, this shoe maker is new for me but judging by the pics on his website he seems to make really excellent and authentic brogans and boots!!
      The shape of the sole, lasts etc. is really nice also the details of the pegging with thje larger pegs( done by hand) looks pretty well made. The shape of the heel is nice. Pricy? Yes but that is relative. If you have the extra money and want to give it a try let us know about your experience.
      Jan H.Berger
      Hornist

German Mess
      http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Two other interesting details to mention is that they also use waxed/treated 2 1/2 ounce leather to a custom fit. One thing you notice right off the bat looking at soldiers wearing boots in original photos is that they seem almost form fitted (in some cases they were) and the leather is very light, flexible and conformed. I tend to think that is why boots are frowned upon at most "authentic" events and marches is that the usual vendors make their boots with thick 6-8 ounce leather. Surely the vendors are going for longevity and durability, but that is also the cause of most boots feeling very heavy or downright painful to walk in long distances. They never wear in right, or if they do they are still not flexible enough. Cantrell also seem to conform to your ankle and calf measurements, for which other boot makers don't even ask.

I've emailed them and asked for a price on making a pair of boots with typical features of an 1850's Wellington boot. When I can gather up the pennies, I might be giving them a stab as they are already covering all the details I've been looking for in a more accurate construction of boots. And of course their brogans look just right as well. With a description like this:

"The lasting pliers, pegging awl, hammer, peg wheel are all from the period. The machine used to stitch the uppers is from the 1870's, and a newer model than the 1862 machine which would have sewn these brogans."

......you certainly get what you pay for when they are actually copying originals in every detail and offering true "museum quality". They are only making 10 pairs of brogans as well, so if one were so inclined you better act quickly. Personally, I'm saving my next brogan purchase for Jan Berger.
        Preston Todd
        Hard Case Boys
        Top Rail Mess

Comment

Here is another vendor from the UK you might all consider: http://www.sarahjuniper.co.uk/index.html

I haven't seen her work in person so I can't pass judgment, but I do think it's neat that she makes her shoes and boots all by hand, she's also the only one I know of that will make a pair of boots with cork filler in the soles for extra comfort.
          Ian McWherter

"With documentation you are wearing History, without it, it's just another costume."-David W. Rickman

Comment

Preston is right on here - I owned a pair of boots made by Chris Schreiber that were unbelievably comfortable - almost like sturdy bedroom slippers. The leather was light (thin), flexible and form fitted. I had to give them up because the left one was too tight (bought them second hand off e-bay of all places), but they were a perfect fit to the original owner. I look forward to seeing some of the Cantrell boots in the field.
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I placed an order from John at CC Cantrel boots, or CS gunfighter, or what ever he is going by today, and have yet to receive my book after 8 months of waiting. This is a buyer beware situation. It may be as simple as it being caught in customs, but you should be aware of it.
              Eric Stephenson

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]The Company of Military Historians[/URL]
              [URL="http://lodge245.doylestownmasons.org/"]Doylestown Masonic Lodge No. 245 Free and Accepted Masons[/URL]

"Captain Dike is in the hands of some brother Masons, and to the Order he owes his life." OR s.I v.II

Comment

Got a reply from them. The prices are not for the faint of heart or the "budget" living historian, but they guaranteed they could make a museum quality pair of "1859 artillery boots" for $1000.00. Keep in mind these are the typical prices in the world of higher end custom boots, of all eras and styles. However there was this interesting bit of info:

"These boots will have a price of $1000, but as we are re-opening our shop this season and given the current economy, we are giving an introductory price of $850, with a money back Gaurantee."

They said they have examined many originals and even the popular pair that is pictures in the Union Echoes of Glory book described as "Enlisted mans boots", which are actually a standard pair of Artillery boots of the Wellington design. They claim to make an exact replica of that pair. Just some tidbits of info for those out there looking for quality no matter the price.
                Preston Todd
                Hard Case Boys
                Top Rail Mess

Comment

Doug, just as an interesting bit on Chris's boots, they were all size 10 1/2. He had one set of lasts which were his size, if you fit his shoe, then he could make you a pair.
                  Eric Stephenson

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]The Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                  [URL="http://lodge245.doylestownmasons.org/"]Doylestown Masonic Lodge No. 245 Free and Accepted Masons[/URL]

"Captain Dike is in the hands of some brother Masons, and to the Order he owes his life." OR s.I v.II

Comment

I'm reviving this old thread to post my own experience. I was sufficiently impressed by what I read on their website, and a followup email conversation, to order a custom pair of civilian brogans for my photographer impression. He explained to me in some detail how civilian design differed from military issue, and assured me of absolute authenticity. They completed them in short order and after the usual slow mail service between Canada and the US (something I could never fathom), I received them today.

I'm almost speechless. My old brogans look like Frankenstein clogs in comparison. They are beautifully made and truly look 150 years old. If I were to tell someone they came straight out of a museum, I don't think anyone would doubt me for a second.

And they are unbelievably comfortable. In all seriousness, I do not believe I have ever worn a shoe this comfortable. Then again, I've never had custom-made shoes before. Outstanding arch support and heel, and very supple, thin leather (unlike sutler brogans).

Yes, they were expensive, relatively speaking, but for the quality and the detail, and the superb fit, I think they were a bargain. You could never buy a hand-made pair of modern shoes for less. Best of all (in my mind) is that despite the definite antique styling, they don't look remotely silly in modern context. I wouldn't wear them with a business suit, but I never wear one anyway. For everyday use in my standard blue jeans I see no reason I can't wear these all the time. I rather like the idea of wearing 19th century shoes in a modern setting. Most people don't pay much attention to shoes anyway. But I"ll know; it will be my little daily link to the past.
                    René Rondeau
                    Ambrotype/Tintype Photographer

Comment

I was going to order a pair of the Jefferson Bootees from Cantrell Boots but dose anyone know if they are still in business. I sent a couple e-mails over the last couple weeks with no response. Their website is still up and it appears that you can still order through paypal. Also I noticed form looking at old forums that it appears that they have been on sale for a while (or at least before) and they have a limit of 10 but people have bought them for a couple years (at least I believe they are the same style). Maybe he just doesn’t sell that many with cheaper shoe venders. I’m not made of money so if I spend that much I want to make sure I receive them. Possibly he has a new e-mail, although you would think he would update it on his site.
                      Brandon Ledvina

Comment

Originally posted by Ian McWherter View Post
                        Here is another vendor from the UK you might all consider: http://www.sarahjuniper.co.uk/index.html

I haven't seen her work in person so I can't pass judgment, but I do think it's neat that she makes her shoes and boots all by hand, she's also the only one I know of that will make a pair of boots with cork filler in the soles for extra comfort.
                        Nice link Ian I live about twenty miles away from this vendor and it just so happens one of my friends lives in the next village , I shall look her up
                        Martyn Goddard
                        American Eagle Society
                        Mess #4

http://www.aesoc.org/

Comment

Bump to top. Still wondering if anyone has any current information on Cantrell Boots.
                          Brandon Ledvina

Comment

I emailed them on the 4th, haven't recieved a reply yet. I also attempted to call, I reached an answering service, but got the standard "mailbox is full" message. Doesn't look very hopeful.

Regards,
                            Chris Graves

Comment

I just wanted to make an update. I tried going through is facebook account last weekend and got a reply back the next day. He is still making shoes and I plan on ordering a pair next week. I already sent him some measurements that he asked for.

He said that the website http://www.cantrellboots.com/ is not his and that it is run by a sutler named Steve. He also gave me his e-mail which is jesseleecantrell@yahoo.com if anyone would like to contact him directly.
                              Brandon Ledvina

Comment

Working...
                              X